Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Modified Military Shower

For those wishing to conserve some space in your gray tank, here's a simple mod to cut back flow while stretching the water heater's capabilities. this shower restricting valve came from HD ( Dansco) and easily attaches to the 1/2 in. MPT your shower hose attaches to. What's great is it allows you to keep the cold/hot mix while cutting back flow rate when required.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140524_1231501837165628.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	64458  
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #2

Excellent idea - I just added a one on our TT shower. We had one on our boat and thought they should be standard in all rvs. Our hot water is ridiculous hot and could easily scald. Thanks for sharing the idea.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

Another neat trick is to place a temperature sensor against the hot water heater tank (the wireless barbecue units work well, or any temperature sensor with a remote display also works fine) and then heat the water to a set temperature. 100F works well for me but YMMV. Then all you need to do is turn on the hot water faucet only and leave the cold off, thus no wasting water making adjustments to get to the correct temperature. This really works well for dry camping where you're trying to stretch the water supply. Sometimes I think I used to use more water getting the temperature correct than I did during the whole rest of the shower.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

I put one in a couple years ago, when I got rid of the stock shower head.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

sorry,but I don't understand the need for this.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Maybe it sprays upward???

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think its just a shutoff, so you can stop the flow while you soap up. I thought everyone already had one of those!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I see how its mounted now the unit is actually mounted on the wall of the shower not floor click on the second picture and you will see the floor on left hand side of picture than turn picture.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thought that was the ceiling. The piece is a shut off ball valve inline between hose and the wall outlet. Hose was removed and the ball valve installed.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Wow! I didn't realize how such a simple thing as a shutoff valve could cause so much confusion. That photo should be rotated 90 deg. clockwise to show correctly (don't know why these things get rotated like that when posting ).

Not sure why someone can't see the merits of this, but I know there are times when water conservation is important (can you say "boondocking"?). So when you are standing in the shower you have two choices....leave the water running while soaping up, etc. OR turn it off after getting wet-then soap. But how much water do you then waste getting back to proper temp when it's rinse time? Some may have this technique mastered to their satisfaction , but I know I waste a lot of water getting back on line, not to mention the BTU's going down the drain if I don't turn off or reduce water flow. My shower flows at 1.4 gpm when on full throttle and this little device reduces water consumption by around 50%, important when you don't have a sewer hookup.

This really isn't meant to be a big deal, but based on the type of comments we see here, I thought this might be a good way to show that this hose is removable and if this mod isn't of interest, perhaps someone with a more creative mind might come up with an even better idea. That's what this forum is all about.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think most of the confusion is the different style of shower in the Essex vs the lower lines. The essex shower head is like a typical S&B shower, where as the lower lines have the shower coming off of the diverter, running up, and back down.

The need for a "cutoff" valve is universal. I have one, as part of the shower head replacement I did. Mine is just located between the 2 valves, where the shower hose attaches.

This install is so clean looking, that it was hard to discern what it was! Great job!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Wow! I didn't realize how such a simple thing as a shutoff valve could cause so much confusion. That photo should be rotated 90 deg. clockwise to show correctly (don't know why these things get rotated like that when posting ).

Not sure why someone can't see the merits of this, but I know there are times when water conservation is important (can you say "boondocking"?). So when you are standing in the shower you have two choices....leave the water running while soaping up, etc. OR turn it off after getting wet-then soap. But how much water do you then waste getting back to proper temp when it's rinse time? Some may have this technique mastered to their satisfaction , but I know I waste a lot of water getting back on line, not to mention the BTU's going down the drain if I don't turn off or reduce water flow. My shower flows at 1.4 gpm when on full throttle and this little device reduces water consumption by around 50%, important when you don't have a sewer hookup.

This really isn't meant to be a big deal, but based on the type of comments we see here, I thought this might be a good way to show that this hose is removable and if this mod isn't of interest, perhaps someone with a more creative mind might come up with an even better idea. That's what this forum is all about.

Those are all the reasons why I added one to mine.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Our RV came equipped with a shutoff shower head. The shutoff is on the back of the shower head. Was not readily apparent. DW found reference to it in the manual. She says it works fine. I like the longer showers in the shower house so don't use this much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shower head.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	64532
Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We just got back from our first big trip that left me with a list of mods to do. Before we even got, I ordered the Oxygenics shower head. We had one in our other coach and loved it. We thought we would try the Newmar head, but the Oxygenics just can't be beat. It came with a shut off.

One thing I found is that with the rear bath, it takes a lot of water before it starts getting hot. This will be wasteful when we boon dock. May have to save it in a bucket for flushes. I told my wife we'll have to shower one right after the other when boon docking to save water.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower