RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Here is a new forum topic where we can discuss the different suggestions for modifications to my Essex.
Due in part to a recent trashing of the coach color step plates I'm now moving a mod off the "back burner" and putting it on the fire again...
I've emailed Summit and will try and call them as well, to hopefully arrange an install in Tampa.
If you're going to be in Tampa and are interested, maybe mention that here and I would be happy to tell the folks at Summit that several other memebers of our web site are interested as well.

I'm definitely going with the step treads and am pretty sure I am going with the lower panels and around the wheel wells....The only thing I'm not certain of is whether to do the entire rad and batt grids or just up even with the lower panels as Peter did...
His looks really sharp,I'm just wondering if the entire grid would be too much stainless?

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2006, 06:31 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Here is a new forum topic where we can discuss the different suggestions for modifications to my Essex.
Due in part to a recent trashing of the coach color step plates I'm now moving a mod off the "back burner" and putting it on the fire again...
I've emailed Summit and will try and call them as well, to hopefully arrange an install in Tampa.
If you're going to be in Tampa and are interested, maybe mention that here and I would be happy to tell the folks at Summit that several other memebers of our web site are interested as well.

I'm definitely going with the step treads and am pretty sure I am going with the lower panels and around the wheel wells....The only thing I'm not certain of is whether to do the entire rad and batt grids or just up even with the lower panels as Peter did...
His looks really sharp,I'm just wondering if the entire grid would be too much stainless?

Old 12-23-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
cwg

You already know my position. A friend of mine on his HR Imperial just had Summit do all of what you are considering. The best part of it as voiced by several of us viewing it are the grills and steps. I like that treatment much more than the wheel wells. As you have a dark paint scheme at the bottom of the coach, the stainless really accentuates any upgrade. I will email the recent photos Albert from Summit sent me.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:38 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Under the subject of "mods" I thought I would add a picture here of the supplemental monitor I added.
I now run ALL cameras through this monitor and use the Nav/radio for just nav and radio.
I also added a feed to the third input of the supplemental monitor so as to allow me to see
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
Input 1. Coach rear and side turn cams...
Input 2. Camera off rear of Stacker trailer...
Input 3. Image from Nav/Radio[/list]
Old 12-23-2006, 07:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bob -

Nice work on the mods, and keep the ideas coming. Makes me stay busy on mine.

I keep meaning to ask ya: have you noticed any washout of the monitor-screen perched on the left side of the dash like that? I'd considered moving mine over to that corner, but finally nixed the idea as I thought there would be too much sunlite coming in the window(s) to get good contrast.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:25 AM   #6

It was my feeling that the entire grills on both sides were too much stainless and that only the grill portion that was at or below the stainless line would look better. Another thing I did was not slant it up at the rear to follow the lifting tail. Instead I preferred it to remain horizonal and semi-fade out at the rear. Additionally I had the indent in the front bumper fitted with stainless also.

Albert's job is excellent and the heavier, 18 guage stainless appears superior to other suppliers.

Peter
Old 12-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Peter, Summit is apparently using your coach as a sales tool,maybe you'll get a commission...
Chuck emailed me the pics that Albert sent him and here's a pic of your coach I'd seen before...
I also like your idea of keeping a level line...Here's the Lug_Nut mobile...

Ron, I have found it relatively easy to adjust the contrast and brightness on the monitor according to whatever the light conditions are at the rear of the coach or Stacker...
The Voyager cam on the rear of the Stacker apparently is really sensitive to light,as I've had to tone the brightness down at night.
For normal sunlit daytime driving,the brightness/contrast are set about middle of the road...
Old 12-23-2006, 07:34 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Ron, some more thoughts on my experiences with the left side mounted camera...
I really like the fact that I now can simply glance to the left toward the mirror and without any radical head movement I can check both the mirror and the cams...
When traffic permits I can choose to look over to the right and down at the nav screen.
As mentioned previously I can even use the third input to see the map too...
Might not be what everyone likes,but it works for me...
Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #9

Bob, As my coach was the first '07 Essex that Summit did, I told Albert he could use any pictures of it he wishes. Their people are very professional and skilled.
Anybody know if they have done a '07 Mountain Aire? One of the people here would like to get the stainless also and Tampa would be far easier.
I believe they have to have done one before to be able to do a field install as they have to do the manufacturing at their plant in Johnston Iowa.

Peter
Old 12-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #10

I've not driven a rig with side-view cams...are they really necessary? I've got the mirrors on our rig set so there are absolutely no blind spots on either side. As a car passes me to the left, I see it in the regular mirror first. As it passes up the side of the coach, it comes into the "bugeye" mirror, then disappears from the regular mirror. As the car leaves the bugeye mirror, it comes into my field of vision out the drivers side window.

It seems taking your eyes off the mirrors to check a video screen would be distracting, as your eyes have to adjust their focus from infinity outside the vehicle to only a couple of feet away to the screen, then back again as you look back outside. This has got to lead to eye strain as your eyes are constantly changing their focal point.

It seems side cams are simply a fix for improperly adjusted outside mirrors.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #11

Now for a real picky mod that I made. Bob saw me do this in Napanee, some may think it is being to picky as most will never notice it.

If you look at your tag on any new Newmar, you will notice the center Spartan marked hub is shorter than that of the drive axle. I replaced mine with the same hub as the drive axle. Price at Newmar was $123 each. Detailing is detailing.

Peter
Old 12-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Peter, I don't know anything about an MADP, but check your email as I've forwarded an email that cwg just sent me with some of Albert's pics of his work on TS and Alpine products...
Some other Essex photos there too, some of an older coach besides yours.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #13

JasonD, I agree with you on that one. Side cameras are mostly extra glitz. Properly adjusted mirrors can do it all, maybe better too. However, if you got the '07 inverted mirrors and tend to drive fast on windy days, the side cameras may be needed. The inverted mirrors tend to get blown outward often leaving the driver with only the cameras to get full vision on both sides.

Peter
Old 12-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #14

Thanks Bob, Quite a few rigs and stainless jobs. The ribbed requires more labour as the ends of each piece has to be chamfered, or angle cut to allow the doors not to catch on the nexted.

Peter