Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
MOLD

We bought our first Newmar last April, Baystar 3501. First time out in the summer and all the clothes turned real musty smelling. Just had a local Las Vegas mold company run some air tests and sent to lab. Got the results this morning and the rig is full of mold. Am going to contact the dealer, Holland Motors in California and contact Newmar to see where we go from here.

REALLY disappointed.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wow, that is horrible! Please post what you find in the future about the problem. Do you know where the mold is.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Being around boats in FL for many years, my big concern was about getting mold in my RV. One of the first thing I bought is a dehumidifier https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
In the summer, it was pulling at least 1/2 to 1 gallon ow water a day when in storage next to the house.
I know it is too late for you, but it may help someone else?
Donít play with the little tiny ones. They are worthless.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
MOLD

The technician who tested for the mold also did a very thorough search inside and out of the RV, looking at everything you can see with a flashlight, and did not visually see any signs of mold. The only indication of mold was the volume of spores trapped in their air monitoring equipment. (He was actually surprised to see the results after his visual examination).

He also did a control collection of spore outside the RV for comparison purposes.

We have very elevated levels of Penicillium/Aspergillus and Cladosporium.

Since there is no visible mold the next step would be to start tearing down the plumbing and look for leaks.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #5

You may be heading towards another direction but I will offer a remedy. For years boaters have used a remedy of Kanberra Gel, see below. We also use dri-rid bags from Walmart inside the coach to remove moisture while we are gone.

https://www.amazon.com/KANBERRA-GEL-...s=kanberra+gel
Old 12-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvhans69 View Post
We bought our first Newmar last April, Baystar 3501. First time out in the summer and all the clothes turned real musty smelling. Just had a local Las Vegas mold company run some air tests and sent to lab. Got the results this morning and the rig is full of mold. Am going to contact the dealer, Holland Motors in California and contact Newmar to see where we go from here.

REALLY disappointed.

Steve
I guess I am going to be in real trouble after this but a musty smell to me would indicate that the closet may have some dampness that is contained there.

Put a small fan that you can let run all the time in the area where the clothes are and I would think that would clear up.

While I am bringing great wrath down on my head I would be skeptical about a technician being "surprised" at how much "mold" that is not visible shows up in his spectronnographer thingy.

Please try the fan method before you tear down the plumbing or anything else. The musky smell probably means there is a higher humidity coming from somewhere but I would not tear down anything until I was sure what it was, and wasnt.

JMHO Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #7

Iím not familiar with your floor plan but have looked at a lot of used rigs. I currently own a 14yr old rig it was a challenge finding one without mold. Itís a challenge keeping it out.

First you donít find the source with a flashlight. You use a moisture meter which can be had for $20 on Amazon. I used it on every rig I looked at. I could narrow down the location of each source. At 6 mos you should be inspecting all seams for integrity. Most common failures, the skylight in the bathroom, the seam between roof materials, around the lights and fittings outside and the slide. If moisture inside the slide it was usually the seam at the bottom or top of slide wall, outside the slide it was the seals themselves. A new rig might need some alignment after a bit.

Iím betting your closet is in the slide. Either way moisture travels. It can leak at the front cap and show up in your bedroom.

Ive seen shower skylight leaks show up in kitchen. Windows leak cause they are cut out wrong. All kinds of places for moisture to come from. Anything that goes through the skin of the rig can leak. Things mold within days of having a moisture source.

Most likely not plumbing. A good way to tell is to fill the fresh tank and turn on the pump. Make sure nothing is dripping and see if your pump randomly runs for no reason. Keep in mind this could take hours. You can also do a leak down Test using a plumbers gauge and air pressure no higher than 30psi.

Always run a dehumidifier with the closet, upper cabinet and bathroom doors open when stored. When you are living in it the humidity can be worse in the winter because the A/C removes humidity and helps in the summer.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wouldn't tear anything apart either but would check the roof line seals between roof and your rear cap to see if anything is obvious can cause roof leakage into ceiling below.
Plumbing is in the floors and only near bath and kitchen areas.
If you were using the AC's were they draining off roofs and draining out of pan of AC on to roof, if not water will build up in bottom pan and be blown into the duct system and if coach is tilted to rear all water being blown into duct work will drain into your rear closet.
May want to check bottom pans of AC's to see if drain holes are open.
I would get a good dehumidifier and place in closet before any further mold develops.
Have to ask was this a new coach or used coach you got from dealer?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
MOLD

I would like to thank all the people who so graciously responded so far....
To answer the last post, the RV was delivered new to Holland Motors in California and I picked it up within 3 days of delivery, thus it could not be a newer than that.

A lot of great ideas posted, thanks.

I should have been more detailed in my post. The technician did have a lot of meters and stuff, one was a water/humidity type meter that he used in addition to the flashlight. He placed two spore collection devices in the rig, one in the bedroom and one up front in the kitchen. The kitchen spores were off the chart compared to the bedroom.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #10

They have a 2017. If the closet is in the rear I would check the rear cap joint, seal where the marker lights go through and the ladder if you have one.

The manufacturer usually says check seams every 6mos. This is just a important on a new rig especially since they can sit in the sun unprotected for who knows how long before sold.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Notice anything amiss under the sink area, loose fitting and water running down pipe, wrap finger around pipe to see, into insulation in compartment ceiling below sink area the overhead insulation maybe wet.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I had same problem on a different rv when in storage. After clean up I used Damp Rid from walmart and never had another problem that was 8 years ago.I use two in the rv.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
MOLD

If it were me I would start by removing all of the drawers esp the ones in the bathroom and kitchen,and have a good look with a flashlight. Looking for paneling and wood that is blistered. Also a really good look in the basement compartment under the shower.. on my CS the sink was not glued to the counter and water would drip past the sink lip. in addition to looking at all exterior seals. Stuart

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #14

So this is a brand new unit according to your info. This begs the question, was it ever subjected to flooding between manufacturing and delivery? If you can track that down, and it was flooded, you might have a potential lawsuit.

ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote