Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #1

Moral Dilemma

Began my routine maintenance this morning. Checked the house batteries and moved to the back of the rig to check the oil and coolant levels and notice a dove had made a nest on my collapseable latter, which is attached to the permanently attached roof ladder. The dove IS sitting on the nest, so I'm guessing there is at least one egg maybe 2. I'm not leaving for another 11 days, and my engine maintenance can wait until the morning of departure. I'm just not sure what I should do, if there happens to be 1 or 2 babies in the nest when it's time to leave. Any thoughts?

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
tizzyfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #2

Move her now. It's early spring, so my guess is that she's likely not been sitting long, so there's probably little to no development yet in the eggs.
I'd rather have her loose a couple of eggs than wait till there's little ones and risk her abandoning them.
That's my thoughts.

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

If leaving the nest untouched until the babies are gone isn't an option I think I'd rather deal with eggs now than baby birds later. Are doves protected in your area?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Began my routine maintenance this morning. Checked the house batteries and moved to the back of the rig to check the oil and coolant levels and notice a dove had made a nest on my collapseable latter, which is attached to the permanently attached roof ladder. The dove IS sitting on the nest, so I'm guessing there is at least one egg maybe 2. I'm not leaving for another 11 days, and my engine maintenance can wait until the morning of departure. I'm just not sure what I should do, if there happens to be 1 or 2 babies in the nest when it's time to leave. Any thoughts?
Call the Seattle animal shelter and/or Washington fish and wildlife. They both seem to have expertise in matters such as yours......and if they don't I'm sure they can point you in the right direction
Old 03-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

Sooner is better than later. This early in the season, they will lay and raise a new clutch.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #6

Thanks for your comments. I made a nest from a small cardboard box and moved the straw nest, which included 2 eggs, into the cardboard box. It's in the most secure place I could find relatively close to the back-end of the motorhome.
By the way, I'm in Yuma, AZ and did try the Humane Society and Animal control, neither were interested in removing the nest. Their focus seems to be stray/abandon dogs & cats only.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
tizzyfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Thanks for your comments. I made a nest from a small cardboard box and moved the straw nest, which included 2 eggs, into the cardboard box. It's in the most secure place I could find relatively close to the back-end of the motorhome.
By the way, I'm in Yuma, AZ and did try the Humane Society and Animal control, neither were interested in removing the nest. Their focus seems to be stray/abandon dogs & cats only.
Wonderful! Hopefully she'll come back to it and finish the job!
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
breakfast
Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #9

You are to be commended for you love of wildlife. My hats off to you.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #10

I have moved a number of nests with eggs. Usually mother finds them and they hatch. As long as they are relatively safe from predation, there is not much that you can do. Mother was probably watching you move the nest.

Frank