Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

More potentially loose fasteners to check in addition to slide motor bolts

I was getting ready to climb the ladder to check out the roof and noticed one of the screws that hold the ladder to the standoff had worked it's way put about an inch of so. Screwed it back in, then checked the others. 4 of the 6 were loose. The ladder isn't really that sturdy anyway, and having 2/3 of the screws loose could spell trouble when your weight is put on the ladder. Falling down 13' onto a hard surface would not be a great way to start the day ! For those of you with ladders on the back, you may want to check the attachments before you climb up.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I was getting ready to climb the ladder to check out the roof and noticed one of the screws that hold the ladder to the standoff had worked it's way put about an inch of so. Screwed it back in, then checked the others. 4 of the 6 were loose. The ladder isn't really that sturdy anyway, and having 2/3 of the screws loose could spell trouble when your weight is put on the ladder. Falling down 13' onto a hard surface would not be a great way to start the day ! For those of you with ladders on the back, you may want to check the attachments before you climb up.
Totally agree. Also a check to make sure that the screws actually go into something. I say that as a friend found that they had missed the backing plate on some of his.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
May need some blue threadlocker.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Had the same issue after my sidewalls were replaced. The painters took off and put on the ladder a couple of times and then the screws wouldn't hold. I replaced them with a size larger stainless steel screws but one is still troublesome, it will loosen after a few times up and down the ladder.

Threadlocker won't work as they screw into wood/fiberglass, but some kind of epoxy probably would, haven't tried any yet. Right now I'm using a variation of the wooden matchstick trick to make it hold, except with cut off tie wraps.

I had a similar issue with my front grille, ended up drilling the holes through and putting in machine screws and nuts. I could easily access the back with those, not so with the ladder screws.

I could use toggle bolts also, I wonder if they make stainless steel ones? Only issue is I'd have to drill relatively large holes in my cap, not very enthusiastic about that...
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Had the same issue after my sidewalls were replaced. The painters took off and put on the ladder a couple of times and then the screws wouldn't hold. I replaced them with a size larger stainless steel screws but one is still troublesome, it will loosen after a few times up and down the ladder.

Threadlocker won't work as they screw into wood/fiberglass, but some kind of epoxy probably would, haven't tried any yet. Right now I'm using a variation of the wooden matchstick trick to make it hold, except with cut off tie wraps.

I had a similar issue with my front grille, ended up drilling the holes through and putting in machine screws and nuts. I could easily access the back with those, not so with the ladder screws.

I could use toggle bolts also, I wonder if they make stainless steel ones? Only issue is I'd have to drill relatively large holes in my cap, not very enthusiastic about that...
In your case yes ... my understanding was the OP was talking about the screws between the standoffs and the base brackets.

BTW, on my old Holiday Rambler, the base brackets were held to fiberglass that wasn't backed with big rivets. My current RV has some kind of backing behind the fiberglass.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never had a loose screw on rear ladder 03 coach, the ladder portion was screwed through the metal riser rail and a plastic piece curved to the pipe, into the pipe portion that mounted to the rear cap which had wood boards embedded into the fiberglass cap.
The temperature changes with setup never loosened the screws as your experiencing.
Not sure you can duplicate the same setup with your ladders.
The plastic piece may have been a expansion fitting within the mounting pipe.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide