Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #1

Motorhome cover

We just bought our first motorhome a Ventana 34. It will be stored at a RV storage site but outside .Is a good high end cover a good idea.I was mostly concerned about wind chaffing on the fiberglass..
DD travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
make sure the cover you buy will let you to enter the coach with the cover on. Sun is the biggest threat for many. I got a cover to protect from snow and the possibility of melt water getting in through vents.

Modern paints seems to hold up pretty well. Your rig surface is exposed to 65 plus MPH all day long while you drive it.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #3

no need, all the folks living full time in their coaches don't have them covered...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

You really need the cover to protect the paint from UV during the summer, but these covers are sold mainly for winter storage, when you don't really need it. They are heavy and difficult to put on and off. They scratch the paintwork. Don't waste your money on a cover, spend it on keeping a good wax coating on.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #5

I agree with above. Spend your money on keeping it washed and waxed. As you get older you will not enjoy getting the cover on and off. Look at rv storage lots and you see very few covers in use.

Take care and enjoy your rig
Old 01-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #6

I have been using a cover for three years on this coach. I don't have any scratches or rubbings from wind. I believe the key to prevent scratches is to wash your rig before putting the cover on. I agree that they can be a pain in the gluteus maximus to cover and uncover. It takes the wife and I about 20 minutes to cover or uncover and you should not do it when windy. Therefore, I only cover when we will be home for a minimum of two weeks. The thing I really like is after I wash and get the coach looking nice and pretty, I cover it and when it is uncovered it looks nice and pretty with no dust or signs of being parked for some time!!
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #7

I bought a cover once, put it on (PITA) took it off sold it to a neighbor they used it once also.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Been using a cover here in Western NY for 4 winters no and yes it takes some extra thought on laying our the cover on the ground so that when pulled up the rear all you do is unroll it over the side. As of yet I haven't found and scratches/rub marks from the cover. What I have found is that the cover when I get ready to take it of has a lot of fine dirt/dust on it and I don't love within 1/2 mile of a road. IMO yes it helps keep the coach cleaner over the winter.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #9

If you get a cover, before installing it set up a bunch of lawn chairs and spread some blankets on the ground. Then invite friends and neighbors and charge a small fee for admission to the show. You can also sell popcorn and sodas. That way you can defray some of the costs for the cover. Haha!!! It is a real show the first time you install it.
I purchased one and used it one summer. Vowed I would not go through that again. Like said above just wash and wax and enjoy it.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I tried to use one on a fiver we had. After one summer in the south, I had beginning of mildew forming on the inside walls and ceiling of the coach. Took it off nd gave it away. Better take necessary steps if you use it in a humid climate.

Tags
motorhome