RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
While at the Factory w/Bob Gregory, I fell in love w/a not yet released 45' floor plan in the Mountain Aire. Got to see the first on the line about 2/3rds built.

With the help of Bob encouraging me w/less than fair tactics, I was all excited about moving to a MADP even though I just got my DSDP.

Met w/a Newmar sales guy and talked to my dealer. Already was picking out colors and all was going fine, until I ran it by the DW.

Bob used a frying pan analogy in another post. That is essentially what happened over the phone. Not good. My travel alone to the factory and other rally's might be restricted in the future.

Anyway, to my surprise, the cost was the second most critical stopper. The first was that she is tired of pulling out the bed for the kids. She wants bunks or some other solution before any more dough goes into a coach.

Per Bob, GaryKD has gone down this path before without any luck. So I have accepted that I won't be getting the MADP anytime soon. That's OK as the problems on the DSDP are getting ironed out quickly and professionally.

However, I want to build a critical mass to get Newmar to build a family friendly tag w/bunks or some other solution such as a flip up couch back or something. Maybe Gary and I can picket or something.

Then I can work on the DW and maybe in a few years I can get it by the appropriations board.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
While at the Factory w/Bob Gregory, I fell in love w/a not yet released 45' floor plan in the Mountain Aire. Got to see the first on the line about 2/3rds built.

With the help of Bob encouraging me w/less than fair tactics, I was all excited about moving to a MADP even though I just got my DSDP.

Met w/a Newmar sales guy and talked to my dealer. Already was picking out colors and all was going fine, until I ran it by the DW.

Bob used a frying pan analogy in another post. That is essentially what happened over the phone. Not good. My travel alone to the factory and other rally's might be restricted in the future.

Anyway, to my surprise, the cost was the second most critical stopper. The first was that she is tired of pulling out the bed for the kids. She wants bunks or some other solution before any more dough goes into a coach.

Per Bob, GaryKD has gone down this path before without any luck. So I have accepted that I won't be getting the MADP anytime soon. That's OK as the problems on the DSDP are getting ironed out quickly and professionally.

However, I want to build a critical mass to get Newmar to build a family friendly tag w/bunks or some other solution such as a flip up couch back or something. Maybe Gary and I can picket or something.

Then I can work on the DW and maybe in a few years I can get it by the appropriations board.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #3

Be careful Scott. If you hang around with Bob too much you might catch "Buyitis". After all you can't use the excuse "I just got my DSDP" as he only just had his EXDP.
Better take a cold shower, that works for me.

Peter
Old 02-10-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
Better take a cold shower, that works for me.
Peter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That "cold shower" seems to work for me for a lot of things lately Peter...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to rename him typhoid Bob. I was only w/him 1 1/2 days and got Newmar Fever, Buyitis and the Bottle Flu.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #6

Now Bob, Darla must have really made an impression on you. I wouldn't think a cold shower would feel too good up there though.

Peter
Old 02-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Scott,
Send an email to John Sammut, VP of Marketing & Sales. It is his job to determine what new floor plans get into the line-up. The more we chat with him on this subject the more chance there is of getting bunk beds in a tag axle chassis. When you return to get your coach, see if you can meet with him, or at least one of his managers. Buy him lunch and include the floor plan in your conversation. We need all the exposure to the decision makers we can get.

I have not given up hope. I met with John in Tampa and expressed my disappointment on the floor plan not being in the 08 lineup. I mentioned that I would remain interested in this floorplan for the foreseeable future and for him to include it in his research. Anybody I meet that hints of wanting this floor plan I ask to email John and tell him.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

I wish you guys all the luck in the world and I sincerely hope we can get some folks to jump on your bandwagon...
I submit it will take more than two of you to get John on board with your idea...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:21 AM   #9

To JavaJelley,

Take a look at different solutions than the pull out bed. The previous owners of our coach did something very smart. They bought/found a Flexsteel jackknife 72" with NO arms. Plus it is not the usual jacknife in that the entire sleeping surface is perfectly flat. It takes 15 seconds to flip it, and the No arms option gives a full 6 feet of length for adults if needed. This setup has approximately the same sleeping area as a pullout, and is much more comfortable. If you are interested, I'll take pics and get a model number next time I'm at the bus.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:44 AM   #10

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bikeboy57:
To JavaJelley,

Take a look at different solutions than the pull out bed. The previous owners of our coach did something very smart. They bought/found a Flexsteel jackknife 72" with NO arms.

Probably called a "magic bed" by Flexsteel. We deleted the standard Newmar bed and added the MB(removable arms)at Bradd and Hall. Very comfortable, nothing poking you in the back, etc.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:48 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
BikeBoy,

Thanks for the thought. We do have a jack knife that is totally flat, except for a fine seem. Must be like the one you're talking about because it is much better than the jack knife in our last coach. It does have the arms. With our kids only being 4 & 6, length isn't critical yet.

However, it is still only 60% of the pull out queen bed, I'd say 4' X 72" less arms. We tried putting one kid on the jack-knife and the other on the couch. The Pleather (sic) cushions on the couch just keep coming out.

After the DW banged some sense into me , we decided to look into some sticky stuff for those cushions.

Removing the pull out isn't quite feasible yet as grandparents are still occasional guests.

If this Jackknife is larger than the 4' wide sleeping area, I'd be interested in the pictures.

Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 AM   #12

The magic bed is only a couple of inches wider(ours is 51" wide others are up to 54") than the jack knife but more comfortable(memory foam). It does not have the storage "compartments" as such but actually has more storage under and behind than the jack knife. Probably would not help in your case, we got if for the comfort and additional length(sans arms). Our son and his wife(both under 6') fit comfortably.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:58 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Did a quick search and found this website.

http://www.vehiclespecialty.com/magic.html

This is a different concept.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:08 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Like Scott, I have the sleeping capacity needed, it is in the wrong configuration. We have a
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>jack knife couch single bed
<LI>air matress couch double bed (very comfortable)
<LI>booth dinette single bed
<LI>queen bed in the rear bedroom[/list]For us, having the bunk bed floor plan would, on average, eliminate breaking down the booth dinette and jack knife couch each night and returning them to their day time position each morning. This may sould trivial to some, but for us (another long story) it is important.

For those who have not read my saga mentioning my chassis probems, the tag axle requirement is due to the unacceptabile instability of my signature coach. Comfort Steer is also a requirement for the same instability reasons.

I do not want a repeat of what I went through, for over 1 year and at my own expense of about $7.5K, to make my signature coach rock solid to drive and ride in.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote