Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Mountain Aire Gas vs Canyon Star

I've often wondered how the 2006-07 Mountain Aire gas MHs compare to more recent models of the Canyon Star especially in terms of build quality and reliability. Those MAs sure had some decent standard equipment to include an Allison transmission if I remember correctly. Would it be fair to say that the more recent models (2016-17) of Canyon Star are an improvement over the 10 year older MAs? Appreciate any and all opinions.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

I'm not sure which chassis the older ones are on but with new it's pretty much only the F53. I know the newer ones with the 6spd tranny are getting some pretty good reviews. The main thing that seems to get talked about with even the newer gassers is the handling. I'd plan on doing some upgrades for sure if buying a gasser (Sumo springs, steering stabilizer, etc).
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our ‘13 Canyon Star on 26k chassis has needed no add-ons or mods. It handles well going down the road. We did add a 5Star Tune to tame the transmission. And BTW, my wife does ALL the driving!
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Our ‘13 Canyon Star on 26k chassis has needed no add-ons or mods. It handles well going down the road. We did add a 5Star Tune to tame the transmission. And BTW, my wife does ALL the driving!
Is your 2013 CSCA on a Ford chassis? Under your screen name it shows Workhorse. I'm confused as to "which" chassis has not needed "add-ons or mods". Please clarify.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford F53.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Traxless would have a Workhorse chassis for the MACA.
The MACA was top model for that year with many upgrades you would find in the KSCA I had which was a great coach on the WH chassis.
Brochure --- Owners Guide
Workhorse Forum --- Important Discussions
The combination of Chev 8.1 and Allison Trans was the best on the market at the time much better than all the earlier Fords I had.
If your thinking of buying used take the MACA over the Canyon Star much better equipped and a lot happier Newmar owner.
Good luck in your decisions.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
What do you mean 'better equipped'. Are you talking chassis, engine ... or features, dishwasher, bed, fridge, entertainment..... Functionally we have King sleep number, washer, dryer, residential fridge and even dishwasher ... other than fancier decor, not sure how 'better equipped' on could be....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob,I am comparing older coach's not your 2015 year coach.
Models change year to year mainly improvements compare your 2015 with a 2015 MA than you will see the difference, option wise and MONEY WISE.
Those two coach's same year MACA walks away as better coach.
If I had the means even today I would pick the MACA over a MADP ,simpler coach less money, easier maintenance, lower operation cost and still have a great coach on grate chassis.
With money saved I would add all the upgrade options I had in my 2003 KSCA.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
The original question was comparing the older MACA with the newer CS I thought.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I looked at a couple Mountain Aire gassers along with newer Canyon Star models when doing the search for our current coach. I didn't drive a CS, but do own an 05 Newmar with the same chassis & engine of the MA at the time, and it drives just fine. And I felt like the MA had better quality interior. I ended up getting a Kountry Star instead because we found one in superb condition that we couldn't pass up.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #11

I have fulltimed for over 5 years in my Mountain Aire gasser. The fit and finish is not found in many other gassers. It is on the W25.5 chassis with a 6 speed Allison transmission. I am pleased with my decision to buy this unit and the money saved vs diesel (note: I spent 17 years in Peterbilt semi truck and I do not need a diesel for what I do). See the attached brochure to see what Newmar offered in deluxe gassers back in '07. All the best.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3991 Mountain Aire Brochure.pdf (1.50 MB, 37 views)
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, gas