Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 AM   #1

Hi,

We are ordering an '07 Mountain Aire, and have a few questions.

Should I order the Girard power awning? Advantages/disadvantages.

Which refrigerator, and all electric or not?

Kvh sat vs. King Dome vs. WineGuard. I have heard of Kvh before, so I am tempted to go that direction.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
variable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2006, 07:31 AM   #2

Hi,

Kvh sat vs. King Dome vs. WineGuard. I have heard of Kvh before, so I am tempted to go that direction.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by variable:
Hi,

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

variable, WELCOME to iRV2 and the Newmar Owner's Forum....

You're going to get some Ford versus Chevy answers in regard to the KingDome/KVH issue, but having had Wineguard's "MovinView" in an old coach and having to experience their "lack of" customer service, I'd only ever consider KingDome or KVH.
Personally I like KingDome, the folks at KVH have come out with the R6, which supposedly has a heating element to dissolve the dew but I'll let someone else comment on that....
My KingDome works great, I have the in motion version and love it.

As far as Girard Awnings, while they are a bit more expensive, I LOVE the ability to have the entire side of the coach under awning....I'd splurge and GO GIRARD if I could.

As far as refrigerators, I would go all electric if I had it to do over again....
I had to have my brand new Norcold replaced as it had a bad cooling unit.
The SECOND refrigerator had a bad thermal disc on the condenser....

Whatever you choose you will be happy with the '07 MADP, it's a beautiful coach!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:25 AM   #4

I'm not sure that the residential frig's are available on all floorplans. Better check with the dealer. If you can go residential frig, you will enjoy the size and consistant temperature regardless of outside temps.

I've had two KVH and been very happy with both. The new R-6, which I currently have is the first sat dish to come complete with its own GPS built in. It is very fast at getting the sat. The dew sheild, I don't notice any difference than with my former L3 dish.

One item you can opt out for is the rear lader. The lader is black and in my opinion looks better without. It is a $0 take away. I think the rear cap lines look better without.

Girard awning are really worth the extra $. Their service is outstanding and the top quality shows.

Peter
Old 12-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #5

I'll second the all electric/residentail frig. and the Girard awnings.

The most important option you can specify is factory delivery.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #6

Girard power awning? Advantages/disadvantages.
These require AC power so you will have to be hooked up or run the inverter iwhen you want to use them. Had a friend that extended them turned of the inverter and they did not retract when the wind came up. No damange but he was surprised.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:13 PM   #7

Here's my hot, er, cold air worth on the refer...
Which is "better" might depend on how you intend to use the coach. A residential refer means you must be plugged in or on genset more. A propane refer uses very little electrical load meaning you can stay unplugged/un-genset more. A residential refer has more space so if you prepare frequent buffets that might be a factor. If you like to dry camp a residential refer forced genset start during quiet hours may not be possible due to campground restrictions. If you take frequent air/train/other jaunts you may not want your rig genstarting frequently in a long-term parking lot.
Consider how you'll use the rig then back into the configuration to meet those needs.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #8

Variable - By "which refer" do you mean propane vs residential-all electric or propane dometic vs propane norcold????
Old 12-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #9

both
Old 12-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Variable welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum.
I have the 4 door Norcold with ice maker and have not had any problems with it. Has as much room as my household refer. Wish I had it when I had all the kids. The larger refers ,Norcold or Dometic require air cooling fans, 12V, to cool off the coils in back of refer. If you get one of these just make sure the fans are working. The electric & gas has worked while dry camping or hooked to CG elect.
Good luck in your quest for your MA.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #11

With all electric you never have to worry about forgetting to turn on the inverter. You leave it on 24/7 year round.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:17 AM   #12

And the residential fridge is insulated so well the power doesn't cycle very often. Like lug_nut I leave the inverter on all the time and even when not hooked to shore power for 24 hours the batteries never got low enough for the genset to kick on.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:38 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the family!

We just took delivery of our coach in late October and just love it. We have had the King Dome sat. antennas on the last 2 coaches and wouldn't trade them for any other. Easy to use and great customer service (when the dum dum on the control switch needs guidance )

We seriously considered the all-electric coach but in the end went with the 2 door electric/propane one. As it turns out, DW wanted the 4 door & I ordered the wrong one ( and I am still hearing about it )

Love the Girard awnings - so easy to use and good looking too. They were a definate must.

If you are like us, we seldome eat at the dining room table and opted for the computer desk/table. What a beauty! Corian counter top, a drawer big enough for a printer and a keyboard drawer (tho' we both use laptops). The Corian shower is a beauty too.

Come to think of it, why don't you just check off everything on the options list? It would make life a lot simpler.

Again, welcome to the herd.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:22 AM   #14

variable, congratulatons on buying a Newmar Mountain Aire, don't forget to join the Newmar Kountry Klub, a great organization. Ed.S