RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #1

Man, this searching for a motorhome is tough work! We are still looking for the right one and located a Mountain Aire 2003 vintage. Anyone out there familiar with these? I have a few questions to ask before I go any further.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #2

Man, this searching for a motorhome is tough work! We are still looking for the right one and located a Mountain Aire 2003 vintage. Anyone out there familiar with these? I have a few questions to ask before I go any further.

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #3

Perhaps if you could provide a floor plan number and some chassis info our members can better reply to specifics about what you are considering. Right now, we don't even know if you are asking about a MACA or a MADP. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:22 AM   #4

Thanks, you are correct, the floor plan would be helpful, but that is one of the questions. All I know is, it is a 2003 Mountain Aire 40' Spartan chassis, 2 slides, 400 Cummins, with 53,000+ miles. It has a driver side sofa, standing dinette, galley on passenger side, small desk area with an odd chair on wheels, wall tv beside dinette and queen bed.

It drove quite well but had a number of things that I wanted some info before I go any further. Yesterday the dealer did not appear very motivated to sell, I think they wanted to go home early. Anything else I need to mention as I am not familiar with the MADP, only our Chieftain.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2006, 07:06 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have the 04 (gas/dp) specs/floorplans that shouldn't be much different than the 03. I can scan them and send them to you if you send me a PM with your email address.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:39 AM   #6

We have a 2004...I believe the '04 was redesigned from '03. New front/rear caps, etc.

The Spartan chassis only had a 1 speed Jake brake, the Freightliner had a 2 speed. I've driven both and I like the 2 speed much better.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:03 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should ask a lot of questions, 54K miles on an 03 is a lot of road time. See if it was a trade, if so see if you can find out who owned it previously. Give them a call if you can. IF well maintained and cared for it could be very good, if not..not. It is close to the warranty end period so see if it has warranty left. Any of the floor plans should be acceptable unless you are looking for something specific. Run a CARFAX on the VIN. Not being negative, just need some more info.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:52 PM   #8

It is/was a trade-in and while it drove pretty good, there were a lot of questions I wanted to ask owners. With a diesel, 53,000+ miles should be getting broken in pretty well but still, to me, it seems to be high for an 03 model. The exterior looked pretty good (some paint touchup), but there was some corrosion in the battery compartment, outside storage bay door latch would not lock, cup holder in the dash was broken on one side, carpet was dirty (sales said the rollers on the front slide causes the discoloration (?)), had a large tv in the wall by the dinnete that was missing (sales said it didn't work and would be replaced/repaired). All of this and I didn't really get to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I know most of these are cosmetic but could be the tip of the iceberg.

I asked if I could call the previous owner and sales said yes but did not give me the name. I asked if there were maintenance records and sales said the books were in the cabinet. All this and they were asking 169,700. Seems too high to me but you never know, this might be a good one, I would rate this one as only average if that. Hmmmm, think I should pass on this one?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #9

Hello, contact me off forum at rjl40yd@yahoo.com.
Richard
Richard MADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
redeldo;

What happended? Did you get the Coach?

Charlie
Old 04-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #11

Still looking at the 03 MADP. They have made an offer but to me its too high. I would love to be able to get a copy of the MSRP and see what was standard and what was optional.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:14 AM   #12

Redeldo

Go over on the Newmar Yahoo site. One of the moderators there keeps copies of all the Newmar brochures and specifications. He has been willing to scan and send out copies in the past.
If you have any specific questions, I've got the 04 Mountain Aire literture that may be close enough to help.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holland Motor Homes here in Holland, MI has a 2003 MADP 40' on their lot for the last month or so. You could give them a call and ask the price. There are pictures of it on line that you can check out. 1-800-221-7197 is their phhone #. I didn't buy mine there but do go there for service.
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #14

Jack

Thanks for the idea about the "other" forum I sent Newmar an email and they sent me the brochure for the 2003 by email. Very nice of them I might say!.