Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #1

Mountain Aire Shock Absorbers - Spartan K3

Good afternoon all,

I have a 2019 Mountain Aire 4551 on a Spartan Chassis. I have read somewhere that there may be an upgrade for the front shocks for this model year? I was just wondering if anyone has any information on this and if it is a upgrade in size or manufacturer or both/ Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Warren
almostready is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #2

We have a 18 London Aire with the Spartan K-3 chassis and on some really big dips we would bottom out. Put the 60mm King Aire shock on along with the motion control valves on and much improved. The are Bilstein shocks and someone mentioned Koni also has a 60mm front shock fro the K-3. Paid almost a 1K for these shocks and the Koni were said to be less then 500$.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:06 PM   #3

If available, the Koni EVO-99 would be a good shock to consider... Pretty sure they're available for the Spartan K2 - admit I don't know if they are for the K3... Koni Tech Support, should be able to answer this for you. Or, Jon, and Brazel's. About $199 each, a good price IMO.

Key is they help control on the rebound, and do not add any potential harshness on the upstroke of a bump. They're FSD like shocks, but more robust.

And I do like the Source Engineering Comfort Control Valves, as again, they only 'check air' in one direction, so no chance of adding to road harshness. And they help the suspension 'set faster' on our 04 Allure... (All of the above, is my opinion!).

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

We had Spartan change our K2 chassis 46mm Bilstein shocks to the 60mm Bilsteins this fall. Huge improvement. I think if you check with Spartan, the K2 Dutch Star and the K3 chassis on MA, LA, Essex and KA all have the same 20,000 gvwr front IFS suspension.
yblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:51 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Work was recently completed on my 2019 4018 MA, which is the Spartan K3 chassis, including: (1) accurate, plus or minus 1/8", ride height adjustment ,and (2) installation of 60 mm Bilstein shocks on the front.

The result is an excellent ride.
Steve Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #6

Thank you all. This is the information I was looking for. I will check around and get some pricing for this change out.

Thanks again!

Warren
almostready is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, air, mountain aire, spartan