Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #1

Mounting 70R and 80R on rear

I am getting new to me a 2003 dutch star. It has new Michelin on the front 275 70R 22.5 but the original on the rear. I plan on getting 4 new tires and some threads recommend going to 80R vs 70R. I am not sure what is the difference. My plan was to put the now front 70R on the inside rear and the new tires on the outside rear and front. Should I go to the 80R tire on the rear matched with the 70R? Is it OK to go to a 80R vs a 70R? I guess one could ask why bother? One possibility is to match the 70R on the rear and put 80R on the front. But again is there anything to gain? Any thoughts would be appreciated.. Bill Young
wmmaryyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Bill

Here is a link to a tire size calculator. You won't be able to do a 22.5 but you can do a 22 to see what the 70r and 80r sizes are. I wouldn't mix the sizes on the rear tires you'll loose weight capacity. Actually I'd just match the two you are gonna keep.
Tire size calculator

Dick
Old 02-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #3

All tires on an axle MUST BE the same size. If you mix and match tires on the same axle you are asking for major problems - blowouts down the road. There is no problem running different size tires on the front and back. I did that on my 2000 DSDP and Spartan said it was OK and I had no problems.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

The reason most owners, including myself, switch from the 70 to 80 series tires is for a better ride. Putting 80s on the front is where you will improve the ride comfort the most.
Since your front tires are new 70 series, I would buy 2 more 70 series and put them on one side in the rear and bring your already installed new 70 series from the front and put them on the other side in the rear. Then also buy a 2 new 275/80R22.5 tires for the front. This way you only need to buy 4 tires.
I went with Michelin XZA3 LRH 275/80R22.5 all around on my 2004 DSDP.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote