Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #15

Mouse in Ceiling

Ancient RV proverb say "Bird on roof sound like mouse in ceiling".

Our mouse in the ceiling was there for a while before we noticed that the sound always came from the same spot. Turned out to be the window awning pull tab flapping in a stiff breeze.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 06:27 PM   #16

Dajo, I had the same results with mouse bait they wouldn't touch it found myself adding peanut butter what a pain, that's when I tried rat bait and mice will eat it go figure. Tractor supply has it in small pails I'm not sure of the name brand.

Just like everything use it carefully if you have cats you probably don't have mice if you have dogs be sure to place baits where they can't get them.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:32 PM   #17
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, after rv'ing in a class C for 10+ years from Ca to Iowa I have never had or heard of someone having a mouse problem. Is this unique to newmar? I'm buying a newmar so this is of interest to me. Is the problem regional? Or is it just people storing their rv in mouse infested areas? My take is this is a prblem for a small group of folks.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Ancient RV proverb say "Bird on roof sound like mouse in ceiling".

Our mouse in the ceiling was there for a while before we noticed that the sound always came from the same spot. Turned out to be the window awning pull tab flapping in a stiff breeze.
We had something similar in our S&B. I was convinced there was a large mouse or squirrel in the attic of our ranch house. I could hear him "running" through the attic just above my head in one of the bedrooms during the day while I worked on my computer.

We also have a second building, also a one-story, just next to the house. It is about 4-5' away. One day I had the door open in the house garage, heard the noise, and looked up in time to see a squirrel jumping from one roof to the other. The noise I thought was in the attic was actually outside on the roof. I had forgotten how fast and far these guys can jump!

On the other hand, if you have found "droppings" inside your RV, then you gotta do what you gotta do...
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
I maintain eleven rental properties and several buildings used for storage, all I use is rat poison. I laugh every time I hear someone say they won't use bait because dead mice smell. I have never had any issues with odor I have found dead mice and they are always dehydrated no smell.

That may be true in a low humidity climate, but I can say with 100% certainty that it does not apply in the humidity of South Florida. Using bait bags in the warehouse produced a very nasty mess which fortunately was not in the wall.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #20

Well, to date have not caught it, but also haven't heard it in a few days ether. We moved yesterday so all the traps went off due to bad roads, now reset but still haven't heard it recently. Hoping the mouse went out food shopping and either a bird got it or it missed the bus when we left our last location. Of course now that I have stated we haven't heard it recently I'm sure it will show up to prove me wrong.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Put a snake in there!
Oh that was beer advice again huh!
It was a little funny!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #22

My wife would likely prefer mice to a snake.

PS: Still haven't heard it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You need a hungry cat.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Recently found some eaten crackers, placed some glue traps around and caught one small mouse that night. My thought was that there CAN'T be just one mouse. But that's the last mouse caught in about a week.

Going on the assumption that there CAN'T be just one, I bought three of these: Robot Check and placed throughout the coach. While I still haven't found any more evidence of mice, I have noticed that even caterpillars that used to walk under the coach have moved away. Now... I'm not really endorsing this product because several reviews are negative and even the written description appears to make little sense in a couple of spots. For all I know, it's little more than a blue light in a plastic box. But my thinking was that I was willing to drop forty bucks on a systemic solution that might just work.

By the way... there are basically three kinds of repellers... ultrasonic, electromagnetic or both. I went with the ultrasonic, alone. I figured electromagnetic may have a negative influence on anything wireless (like wifi) and didn't want to take the chance.

Anyway... so far, I'm believing these repellers work.

EDIT ADDED: I don't know why the link above says "ROBOT CHECK". It is a link to Amazon for "HIG Electronic Pest Repeller" and the link works.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #25

We found mouse droppings in our kitchen pantry and other cabinets a couple of mornings ago. Ugh! We've been parked in the same spot for a week now, and this is the first mouse issue we've had. We've been going over the coach with a fine-tooth comb, vaccuming, cleaning, put all food in coolers or large Rubbermaid bins so there is nothing interesting for them to get into, and my husband sealed up all ingress points he could find in various bays. We have not set any traps yet because we're in a remote area, no toad, so it's difficult to get to a store.

Once we leave this spot next week, even if no more signs of mousey appear, we'll buy some snap traps just in case for the future. I prefer these as I agree with a previous poster that the poisonous bait is dangerous to birds, pets (we have a dog), and other wildlife. And the sticky traps just seem cruel to me as I imagine the mouse doesn't die quickly.

To the poster who asked if mice were just a Newmar problem, of course not. Stick & bricks have 'em, and doubtless other RVs do as well. It's just that a thread got started here, and thus it appears that a lot of Newmars have mice. I am sure it is a miniscule % and just bad luck.

Tags
ceiling