Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MSRP Discount on 2017 Ventana LE

I would like to get your opinions on what discount would be reasonable on a new 2017 Ventana LE 3436. I am currently negotiating with a Newmar dealer who has gotten a lot of positive comments on this forum on such a coach. This LE is not a highly optioned unit but it has everything that is important to us including the better windows, Polar Pak insulation, fiberglass roof, etc. It does not have a satellite system or the fancier floors like many coaches are spec'd with and we are fine with that. Doing a search on this forum leads me to believe that a discount of 25-29% would not be out of line for a new Newmar from the last model year but maybe these figures are more applicable to the higher end Newmar products. I want to be reasonable with an offer and that is why I decided to start this thread.

I am currently talking to them about trading in our current coach and I do believe they are being generous (roughly 1.3X wholesale value) with the offer they made me on that. I'm used to working with numbers and realize that the only important thing is the difference I would have to come up with between the discounted LE price and their offer on my trade-in. My ego is not going to be hurt with a lower figure on the trade-in as long as I feel I'm getting the proper discount for essentially a year-old LE.

Any input will be appreciated.
-------- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #2

Good price on trade and lower discount or lower price on trade and higher discount; don't think you will get it both ways although anything is possible. What would you do if they said they could give you a bigger discount on new but not as much trade on old? Either way would be a wash. What are they offering on your discount now?
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

I got 27% without any haggling when I ordered my LE4037. I had a time restraint and I did not have time to haggle any. I did not have a trade in.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The range usually mentioned here is about 25-28% for a Ventana.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Price wise this is the best time of year to buy a coach. Not a lot of shoppers out now.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
boomersooner, right now they are offering about a 17% discount off MSRP which I think is too low for a year old coach. (If the LE was destroyed a month from now thru some wreck or natural disaster, I'm sure the insurance company would consider it a year old.) I might add that this particular LE has been on the dealer's lot since early this year. If they offered 27% discount off the MSRP and maybe just a little above wholesale on my old coach i would be okay with that.

In my original post, I tried to express that I do not expect to get both a high discount and a high trade-in allowance on my old coach. I realize that only the difference between the old and new coaches is what matters. I'm looking for input so that I can submit a reasonable counter offer to the dealer and I appreciate everyone's replies so far.

reubenray, it is interesting that your previous MH was a Tiffin. I have also been considering the Allegro RED 33AA in my search. This Ventana LE is currently the best fit for the options my wife and I are looking for but I think the Tiffin is also a good coach.

------ Jim
Old 09-08-2017, 04:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
boomersooner, right now they are offering about a 17% discount off MSRP which I think is too low for a year old coach. (If the LE was destroyed a month from now thru some wreck or natural disaster, I'm sure the insurance company would consider it a year old.) I might add that this particular LE has been on the dealer's lot since early this year. If they offered 27% discount off the MSRP and maybe just a little above wholesale on my old coach i would be okay with that.

In my original post, I tried to express that I do not expect to get both a high discount and a high trade-in allowance on my old coach. I realize that only the difference between the old and new coaches is what matters. I'm looking for input so that I can submit a reasonable counter offer to the dealer and I appreciate everyone's replies so far.

reubenray, it is interesting that your previous MH was a Tiffin. I have also been considering the Allegro RED 33AA in my search. This Ventana LE is currently the best fit for the options my wife and I are looking for but I think the Tiffin is also a good coach.

------ Jim
I can see your concern, 17% is way to low, as others have stated, 25-28% is standard. Even going to NIRVC online and requesting a quote online they give you 25% as their standard discount, I am sure you can haggle from there. If you are counteroffering, I would go 28-30% and see where they go from there (since this has been sitting on their lot for some time). Best of Luck!!!
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:25 AM   #8

Quote:

------ Jim
as you have stated, the net trade is all that matters...and you have said they have offered around 130% of wholesale for your current rig....

so using those numbers, 17% off MSRP, and 130% of wholesale on the trade, where do you net out ? is the trade value relative to the coach so much smaller on a percentage basis that even at 130% of wholesale it does not increase the net differential over 20% of MSRP ?

my DSDP order netted out at 29.7% off MSRP....my winning dealer did not give me the lowest price, but they gave me the lowest price with full wholesale for my trade.....the number two dealer was marking my trade down more, but giving me a little more discount from MSRP, but the net was not as good....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:25 AM   #9

Quote:

------ Jim
We looked at the Tiffin's Red's first, but they did not have the floor plan we wanted and they did not appear to be changing any. Plus I was able to get some special options from Newmar being I was ordering to make this model even better.

Would the dealer you are working with start with a "B"? I bought mine from Independence RV in Florida.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ruebenray, the dealer I am working with is not the one that starts with a "B". I think I know who you are talking about and I went there but that dealer acted like it would not even entertain the thought of ordering a 34' Ventana. They just want to use their production slots for coaches 37' and above. The dealer I'm negotiating with is about 1,000 miles away but not to the east.

willipaul, two different sources tell me that wholesale on my current MH is $45K to $49K. MSRP on the Ventana LE's is usually around $240K. The net difference is much lower with a higher MSRP discount and a trade-in value closer to wholesale.

Given the responses so far, I don't think my expectations are out of line so I appreciate the inputs.

------- Jim
Old 09-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #11

Another consideration on the pricing which I have not seen is your state's tax rates. Some states tax on the net cost (new coach price-trade) and some like mine tax on the cost of the new coach and give you zero credit for paying taxes on the old coach previously. In the latter, a lower trade-in price and a lower cost of new is better. Florida taxes on net, SC & VA taxes on cost of new.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
willipaul, two different sources tell me that wholesale on my current MH is $45K to $49K. MSRP on the Ventana LE's is usually around $240K. The net difference is much lower with a higher MSRP discount and a trade-in value closer to wholesale.

------- Jim
yeah, so there it is....discount on the larger number so much more important than inflation on the smaller one....

the dealer is hoping you are wowed with the big trade in allowance and not paying attention to where the price action really matters....
Old 10-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know it has been a few weeks since I've posted anything on this forum but as you can see from my updated signature (Edit -- Well, the signature didn't update yet), we are now the proud owners of the 2017 Ventana LE 3436 coach that was the subject of the negotiations in this thread. The dealer and I went back and forth a few times but we finally arrived at a deal that I feel was very fair. This dealer was very good to work with, answered every question I placed before them, and never once tried to apply high pressure or make me feel that I was being unreasonable.

DW and I traveled the 1100 miles in our HR coach to the dealership and completed the sale late in September. Since then, we have spent 6 nights camping in the Ventana and are very happy. The Ventana was prepped very well by the dealership and the orientation given by the dealer technician was very thorough. We spent the first night in the Ventana at the dealership and there was only 2 very minor things that were corrected in less than 30 minutes the next morning. We then said our "goodbyes" and headed 1100 miles back home. We really liked our HR but I am amazed at how much more comfortable the Ventana is and how much easier the Ventana is to drive! Newmar quality really shows everywhere you look. Our first MH was a used 34' Kountry Star and all I can say is that it is nice to be back in a Newmar coach.

I want to once again thank everyone who responded to this thread. Your input was very helpful and gave me confidence during the negotiation phase of this transaction. Hopefully our paths will cross somewhere along our country's highways.

------- Jim
Old 10-16-2017, 04:52 PM   #14

congrats. hope you love it.

who was the lucky dealer ?

Tags
vent, ventana