Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Multiple Failures in electronics

Everything was working fine prior. Stopped at rest area and after restarting the engine the following items now don't work;
Power window
Heated mirrors
Power mirrors for direction
Back up camera
When turning the key to the aux position (just prior to turning it over) the steps don't retract like they used to. BUT if we toggle switch (switch on the passenger wall) the steps they go in/out with the entry door use correctly like before.

I have checked all fuses known in the rear chassis bay (where the disconnect switch is), the electrical bay, the area above the steering wheel, the area near the furnace, the multiple boards above the generator including 3 boards behind black covers. I have reseated all the black box relays and even switched around some with identical descriptions.
Tugged on all ground wires I could find/see and seemed ok.

I'm not yet ready to remotely test all black box relays untill it's narrowed down. Not sure if it's coinsidence but after getting home 2 days later the 6yr old typical wet.lead chassis batteries would not charge up to voltage with a 10amp portable 2 stage battery charger and were warm after 2 days. They have since been replaced with new ones and are fine.

Yes I will call for technical support after bouncing it off this excellent forum. I do not have the detailed wiring diagrams for the coach and have tried the "007 plan" to get unsuccessfully. Thinking it's related to the aux key position and aux power relay but just a guess at this point.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Your last sentence was my educated guess, a bad ignition switch. Might try spraying the back side of the switch with electriacl contact cleaner, but that might only be a band-aid fix
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Check this link for reference for 12v wiring and fuse locations and see if it helps.
Here is the battery system also and there is more in QT's 1 & 2.
Have you looked at all battery cables attached to chassis frame both house and chassis battery groups good clean tight connections?
Your battery water levels are above plates.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Your last sentence was my educated guess, a bad ignition switch. Might try spraying the back side of the switch with electriacl contact cleaner, but that might only be a band-aid fix
I agree with brobox. Using the file that 007 linked to I hope the detail below might help you (this was page #24). The items you referred to have the ignition switch in common, and are highlighted in yellow in the diagram below. If all of the items additionally highlighted in orange have problems too, then the likely culprit would be the 30A fuse feeding the circuit.

ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #5

Sounds like the ignition side of the front fuse panel , mine is behind a plexi-glass panel center of dash at floor level, is shut down, the fuse panel is 1/2 battery 1/2 ignition fed , ignition side is powered by a relay on the outside of the firewall .

This is the relay top center , 12v circuit breakers , are for the ignition & battery feeds for the inside fuse panel, fed by the green/black wire on the left & one of the reds is the battery feed to that panel. I'll bet one of the C/Bs is bad or the relay is bad or ,shut down due to no feed from fused ignition switch feed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005 (480x640) (2).jpg
Views:	332
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	64025  
Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
One other thing to remember your ignition switch wiring harness goes over a metal bend at top of steering column and if you adjust your steering height all the time doing so will stretch or wear the wiring harness also to the ignition switch.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Problem identified and fixed.
Thankyou thankyou to everyone who posted and narrowed it down with the wiring diagram (even if it was for a 2006-7 coach !).

It was the re-seating of a 70amp Siemens ignition relay on the fuse board above the steering wheel. Contacts were a little oxidized so I stainless steel brushed them, added dielectric grease and re seated. Everything now works but has not been road tested. The only concern I have is the contacts do not grab the relay tabs very tightly even before the grease and may re-disconnect. If that happens I'll tape it down for added measures.

Of course pictures included.

Name:	IMG_1087.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	64435

Name:	IMG_1086.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	64436
Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good for you and the fix, I would just find a replacement relay for back up.
As to diagrams 2006-2007 you can see that some things do not change that much over time if it works why change it.
Safe travels.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #9

Thanks for posting that you have things fixed. My DS has the same panel, mounted at floor level below the center of the dash. If you have contact problems you should be able to pull the whole board and GENTLY squeeze the contacts tighter on the rear side of the printed circuit board.
Terminal contacts on the back side will be the same shape as the fuse holders on the visible side.
Even the main power wire colors are different , hard to believe the 2 coaches came out of the same factory the same year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0007 (480x640).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	64439  
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #10

Note to self; check pictures before posting, or at least check your own circuit board. Terminals on back side of the board are different than the fuse holders out the front side.
But in the event of more problems with contacts , careful squeezing would be worth a try, I might be tempted to try a little solder , on the back side before replacing the board.