RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2015, 01:01 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Keith you may want to check out this Video, especially the section on weight! http://youtu.be/7QWWqODdymc. You might want to demand a copy of that weight print out. I am learning fast that Newmar is really only out for them selfs. They also seem to have no problem hiding/misleading their customers. Defiantly not the company I thought they were. Good luck

Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Did anybody weigh their Tour or Ellipse?

Gordon Dewald has a big beautiful 42' Tour and he has posted his weights. They were great with lots of room spread across all axles. I would bet you could find that post I believe it is on one of these "weight" related threads.

twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
In the video

Weight starts around 16:30 in the video... very interesting, seems like they talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Keith you may want to check out this Video, especially the section on weight! http://youtu.be/7QWWqODdymc. You might want to demand a copy of that weight print out. I am learning fast that Newmar is really only out for them selfs. They also seem to have no problem hiding/misleading their customers. Defiantly not the company I thought they were. Good luck
Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #32
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

Let's get back to the Newmar issue here on the Newmar forum.

Please discuss Tiffin issues on the Tiffin forum.

Thanks!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #33

Keith, any update on the slide level that you mentioned you were going to be discussing this past Monday, Dec 7?
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #34
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Go to 25:43 of that video and listen...
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #35

At a Newmar Rally in Myrtle Beach SC this week. Just heard about this issue via word of mouth with another Newmar owner. We are looking at upgrading to a new Dutchstar 4312 (bunk bed version). We are very brand loyal and before this we would not buy anything else except a Newmar product. Very happy with a '08 Canyon star and wanted to make the jump to a larger product now that funds are available.

This issue will stall our purchase (if Newmar cares). There are two 4312's in Florida that we were considering.

Thank you Keith for looking out for this issue ...... hope it works out well for you. Please keep their feet to the fire. Newmar needs to make this right.
sdhexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhexpert View Post
At a Newmar Rally in Myrtle Beach SC this week. Just heard about this issue via word of mouth with another Newmar owner. We are looking at upgrading to a new Dutchstar 4312 (bunk bed version). We are very brand loyal and before this we would not buy anything else except a Newmar product. Very happy with a '08 Canyon star and wanted to make the jump to a larger product now that funds are available.

This issue will stall our purchase (if Newmar cares). There are two 4312's in Florida that we were considering.

Thank you Keith for looking out for this issue ...... hope it works out well for you. Please keep their feet to the fire. Newmar needs to make this right.
I am not particularly brand loyal. I have owned two Tiffin coaches and looking to buy a DS or MA. Until the weight issue and now the un-level slide issue is resolved, I will also be waiting on the sidelines.

I want to thank the OP and the other current 2016 owners for posting their experiences. If not for your honesty, we would be waiting/worrying about how and when things would be fixed.
ewlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Keith, any update on the slide level that you mentioned you were going to be discussing this past Monday, Dec 7?
Last Monday, I was still at Nappanee and they took my 2016 Dutch Star 4018 coach to have about 10 people from engineering, production and service look at the slope floor in the full wall hydraulically operated slide out which is new for 2016. They also looked at a 2016 Mountain Aire that was in for service that had the same problem. And I should mention that a 2016 Essex was parked next to me at the camp and he had the same problem. So it seems that the un-level floors exist in some of all the Newmar models that have the new hydraulic slide out system made by HWH. It is unclear how many Dutch Stars, Mountain Airs, Essex and King Airs have the problem.

Newmar indicated that the floor could not simply be adjusted in any way. Even if they could adjust it so the floor was level, then the slide out wall would not be flush with the main exterior wall when it was retracted. After the inspection, Tony Hermann, Director of Service and Warranty, told me that I should not stick around because a fix would probably not be arrived at soon. He suggested that I go on my planned trip to winter out in the southwest and come back in the spring to get the issue fixed. I expect that the only fix will be to remove and rebuild the tile floor after leveling the subfloor.

This problem does not prevent me from using the vehicle other than having my recliners rock on the un-even floor (extremely irritating). However, I want it fixed since the defect is obviously seen by eye and it will affect the resale value of my coach.

They measured the floor was out 1/2 inch in 3 ft which I disagreed with. I lowered my measurement to from 3/4" to11/16"in 3 ft. But they were trying to distract me with details and admitted that you can see the slope by eye.

Newmar obviously has two issues: changing how they build the Dutch Stars so no more are produced with the problem and fixing the coaches that already have been made with the problem. There first priority and the easiest is to change how they continue to build them. This could happen quickly. I am sure they are not in as much of a hurry to fix the existing coaches that have the problem.

They have indicated that they intend to fix the floors but I will have to wait to see.
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #38

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would think re-designing the new models to put the fuel tank directly in front of the drive axle, would be the easiest, most economical solution.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Perhaps the fact Newmar displaying photos with perfectly level tile floors with the slides out in all their marketing publications is motivating them to actually deliver that level of quality in the product, so they don't have to stop marketing it in that way.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
This week, I went to visit the local RV dealers to look at my preferred choice of RV. Which include the Forest River Berkshire and Fleetwood Discovery. One of the dealers also has 3 of the Newmar DutchStar in their stock and come with their highly recommended. I am in the market for one of these in the next 6 to 9 months (estimate retirement date). After seeing the beautiful and very well appointed DS, my DW really loved the DS, that is why I began to read the pros and cons of the DS.

With the DS spec, I thought that I will have good capacity to carry a good load for long term RVing. On top of that, the slide issue is another one... Now I am beginning to question about Newmar product.

Note that I have researched the Newmar brands for some months and felt it would be a good choice, but hold back because it cost far from the competition. But now the DW like the RV, I thought that I may have to bite the bullet to foot the bill. Thank you for information, this would make me to re-think about the money to be spent.

Having that said, it is now off my list of RV choice. I will boycott Newmar until they have the resolution before I put my money down on one in the next 6 to 9 months...
I wouldn't just jump over to Fleetwood Discovery....Fleetwood does not know the meaning of Quality Control...I went from 2 Newmars to an American Coach...no comparison in Quality....I'd wait to see how Newmar plays this ...American [Fleetwood] is no bargin..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Love it when these guys in Indiana say you can drive back to Indiana (or Alabama/Iowa for that matter), at your expense, to get something fixed that never should have been engineered that way to begin with...and that comment is not vendor specific. Let's hope fuel prices stay low so the pain is not quite so bad.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Love it when these guys in Indiana say you can drive back to Indiana (or Alabama/Iowa for that matter), at your expense, to get something fixed that never should have been engineered that way to begin with...and that comment is not vendor specific. Let's hope fuel prices stay low so the pain is not quite so bad.
In 1997 or '98 Fleetwood paid our travel expense both ways from Oklahoma to Indiana and put us up for a week in a motel in order to fix a slide-out problem on our 1997 Southwind. In 2007 Winnebago paid our travel expense one way to Iowa to repaint a flaking paint problem on our 2004 Meridian, but I guess nowadays with sales of RVs skyrocketing its buyer beware and to heck with after-sales service. As was stated above, why should the manufacturers be concerned with units already sold when they can't make units fast enough to satisfy prospective buyers. And us past buyers are the ones suffering. Buying a new motor home is supposed to be a happy exciting experience when a lot of us are finding it to be just the opposite. Hopefully Newmar is going to stand behind their reputation and solve all our problems.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, newmar, problems, slide, slide out, weight