Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My best mod yet

I have never liked starting the engine, air up, go out side and check ride height then go inside and turn engine off, have wife bring the slides in while I go outside and watch.
I installed a 6 channel remote control to bring the slides in and out. I disconnected the ignition override to the kitchen and bedroom slides. To make sure they cannot move at the wrong time (something falling on the remote). I installed a push button switch with a led for each slide that disconnects the power. Now I start the engine, turn the power on, go outside and check ride height and bring the slides in. I have not figured out how to override the ignition on the fws controller yet. I called Newmar and they are no help. HWH told me Newmar has them program it in the controller and would not discuss changing it with me. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. If anyone is interested I'll post parts and details.
The first picture shows the red led switches for the fws and kitchen. Second is 4 of the remote control relays for fws and kitchen. third is the remote. The other switch and 2 relays are in the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2817.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	259313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2776.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	259314  

Name:	IMG_2820.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	259315  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 05:44 AM   #2

So, one relay for one slide for one direction (In vs Out)?
My manual switch is a momentary contact switch that alternates direction with each push. Is yours the same? I might have to put in a contact sensor to know slide state (in or out) to automate the logic if discrete control is not possible once I look at the slide controllers.

I will be doing similar but using the Automation Controller to manage. Manual control via smartphone user interface. All three of my slide controllers are in a cabinet in the bathroom so the relays will be located there. My relays will be WiFi. The "safety" relay (that provides power to the new controller relays) will be on same system. So, both relays will have to be closed for a slide to move.

I am also considering putting a sensor to detect slide lock state so the slides can't move if the locks are engaged. No plan to automate the locks yet.

Nice mod!
Old 09-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The hwh controller is a single system for all hydraulic functions. On the dutchstar this includes the Jacks and FWS. The ignition cutout is actually on the CanBus and not a simple relay. It would need to be removed via a firmware update.
I do not think you can accomplish this operating without the key in, but you should be able to turn the key to accessory and thus eliminate the need to start and the buzzer.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Each slide takes 2 relays, 1 for in and 1 for out. My switch is the same as yours. The fws switch and controller are a 3 wire system. Hot is common on the center of switch and when you press the momentary switch it connects to the in or out wire sending voltage to the controller. One wire for each direction. The kitchen and bedroom are a 2 wire system. The center is the common input to the controller, 1 side is 12v + and sends full voltage to the controller via the common center wire when you push the momentary switch. There is a resistor soldered to the 12v + side of the switch to the other end of the switch. when you push the switch the other direction it sends 12v minus what the resistor drops to the controller on the common center wire. The controller is very sensitive to operate on the exact reduced voltage for one direction. It would not operate when I put the led of the disconnect switch across it. I wired the relays in parallel with the switch so the switch still works. Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
2018 and 2019 are different, on the 18 you can not have the engine on and operate the FWS, 19 you can have the engine running and it is recommended by HWH. I want to modify my 18 so that I can have the engine running and operate the FWS. I haven’t had time to get into it, but it would seem that there must be a trigger signal from the engine on that could be interrupted.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The hwh controller is a single system for all hydraulic functions. On the dutchstar this includes the Jacks and FWS. The ignition cutout is actually on the CanBus and not a simple relay. It would need to be removed via a firmware update.
I do not think you can accomplish this operating without the key in, but you should be able to turn the key to accessory and thus eliminate the need to start and the buzzer.
That's what I got from hwh but was hoping someone knew of a way around it. My goal is to start the engine and go outside and check the reveal or ride height and then open or close slides in one simple step.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
2018 and 2019 are different, on the 18 you can not have the engine on and operate the FWS, 19 you can have the engine running and it is recommended by HWH. I want to modify my 18 so that I can have the engine running and operate the FWS. I haven’t had time to get into it, but it would seem that there must be a trigger signal from the engine on that could be interrupted.
I think redbaron is correct. No external signal to stop the slides from operating. Internal programming does it. When looking at the wiring diagram I only see one ignition input which is needed for the jacks to operate, maybe for the controller to operate. The controller is very hard to get to.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I think redbaron is correct. No external signal to stop the slides from operating. Internal programming does it. When looking at the wiring diagram I only see one ignition input which is needed for the jacks to operate, maybe for the controller to operate. The controller is very hard to get to.

How would the system know that the engine is running? It would seem that there must be input, why couldn’t we fake the input?
Old 09-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
This is what I have
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	259351  
Old 09-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
How would the system know that the engine is running? It would seem that there must be input, why couldn’t we fake the input?
I am guessing on this, from what hwh said and looking at the wiring diagram I think when the ignition is on 12v is sent to the controller. The programming lets the jacks work and not the slides. I only see one input to the controller. I haven't done it yet but will cut the 12v and see what happens. They could not have put the controller in a harder spot.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I didn't see the ignition sense wire, thanks for pointing it out. Will try to get to it this morning. This is one of those things that I have to figure out or the hole plan and project will not be one easy step.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I am guessing on this, from what hwh said and looking at the wiring diagram I think when the ignition is on 12v is sent to the controller. The programming lets the jacks work and not the slides. I only see one input to the controller. I haven't done it yet but will cut the 12v and see what happens. They could not have put the controller in a harder spot.

Ok then what changes to let the slide operate? It must see a change in Input to know, right?
Old 09-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #13

Interesting mod. I guess I'm just too paranoid about monitoring my slide operation. By the DW being inside and pushing the buttons and me outside watching we can both listen and watch the operation.

These slides do malfunction and the last thing I would ever consider doing is operating them with my noisy diesel engine running. We run them in and out dozens of times all year long so we both know every little normal sound they make.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Somewhat like the front overhead TV, relay that when 12 volts comes from ignition 110 is interrupted to outlet that tv is plugged into.