Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #1

My Canyon Star factory delivery experience

Arrived Monday couple weeks ago at 9am. Met Jonas (boss) and Perry (our Tech). Covered the interior options -- only thing missing was a USB port on each side of the bed. Authorization from dealer and it was installed. We did not want a full schedule and settled on 9am-Noon, 12:30pm to 2pm for the week.

Nothing major needed, minor tuning, tweaking, lubricating, etc.

Stayed at Amish Acres Sunday & Monday nights taking possession Tuesday. Had a puppy and it was slightly easier at the motel. Parked at the lot outside the Office. Tech said he didn't see many units with a driver side door, but another Canyon Star was parked next to me with a door. I've being using it 50% for access.

Took a week to travel from Nappanee to Denver. First time at a KOA in Davenport -- checked everything on the check list before breaking camp except putting down bat wing antenna. A tree limb ripped it off.

In Iowa for gas, DW asked what the red puddle was dripping from the front of the engine area. Determined it was from the top of the leveler box in the engine compartment, called Newmar, conference call with Excursion Systems (leveler people) who said it was a failed o-ring in the pressure regulator. They are shipping a replacement which I'll install. (Tightened the regulator and it slowed the leak.)

Ford instrumentation is lacking. One button for A/C, no way to adjust air temp.

Had a South cross wind heading West in Iowa that created noise in my driver side window and steering was not easy. Passing semi's did the same thing. Noise is a problem but I expected some. Between engine whine and tire noise, it was very loud. Normal conversation was not possible.

Drove at about 55 mph thinking it would help on gas. Looked like just less than 8 mpg.

I towed a Honda CRV (about 3,300 pounds) with no problem. Coach weighed about 20,000 pounds according to Newmar numbers. Unhitched in Denver for a wash and drove 1/2 with no tow. Big difference, lots of sway probably because coach was empty.

No complaints and it's the perfect coach for me size wise. Factory was a class act. Everyone cared.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You did have the option to stay the night in the coach on Monday? I only made reservations at the motel for Saturday and Sunday nights.

BTW
Semper Fi !
1970-74
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
You did have the option to stay the night in the coach on Monday? I only made reservations at the motel for Saturday and Sunday nights.

BTW
Semper Fi !
1970-74
Yes Monday night in my coach was an option. We stayed through the following Sunday because of the Nappanee Apple Festival.

The entire experience was enjoyable and fun. Happy I did it.

About the Amish Acres. Made reservations at the Nappanee Inn arriving Sunday p.m. It was closed and a sign said to check with Amish Acres. At $100/night, it was on the level of a bad Motel 6. Clean interior until close inspection. DW had what appeared to be bed bug bites, my mattress had ''stains''... not from food. Won't be staying there again without a thorough inspection going in.

Semper Fi, Bro.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No way to adjust a/c temp? Are there not 3 knobs on the dash? One for fan speed one for temp and the third for mode?
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
No way to adjust a/c temp? Are there not 3 knobs on the dash? One for fan speed one for temp and the third for mode?
Now I'm thinking there has to be a control I missed. The cluster looks like a Ford truck I had, similar knobs and color. In this case, the on/off button is by itself, not part of the cluster. Without a control for air, there probably wouldn't be a control for heat and that doesn't make sense. I'm feeling better already. Thanks for the reality check.

The know to control amount of air also threw me. Low is medium in other vehicles, medium is very high, and high is leaf blower volume and arctic air. Guess that's a blessing of sorts.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #6

Congrats on the new coach.You are not alone forgetting to put
the bat wing down.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin along View Post
Congrats on the new coach.You are not alone forgetting to put
the bat wing down.
Well thanks. First time to use a bat wing -- have one on my Class C I never use, worse part is checking and putting down the antenna is on my check list. So, it's important to use a check list if you have one.

I duct tape the tubes to the roof after the damage and assessed things yesterday. Still have power to the coax and the elevator tubes were the only thing damaged. Very pleased to make the $12.00 repair. Lesson learned.

Most difficult part of the drive was through Omaha. Cement truck on my right, semi on my left, we're all doing 60 around a curve. Oh, the other lesson learned quickly was looking ahead esp. at gas stations that were not truck stops or travel centers. Did not unhitch my toad but thought I was boxed in a couple times.

Living the dream, and very proud of the quality of this fine coach. Go Newmar!
Old 09-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on the new coach, we love our 3710.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:19 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
Yes Monday night in my coach was an option. We stayed through the following Sunday because of the Nappanee Apple Festival.

The entire experience was enjoyable and fun. Happy I did it.

About the Amish Acres. Made reservations at the Nappanee Inn arriving Sunday p.m. It was closed and a sign said to check with Amish Acres. At $100/night, it was on the level of a bad Motel 6. Clean interior until close inspection. DW had what appeared to be bed bug bites, my mattress had ''stains''... not from food. Won't be staying there again without a thorough inspection going in.

Semper Fi, Bro.
We're staying at the Brook Pointe Inn. $185 for two nights all in. Will report.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Leland0311;3269980]Well thanks. First time to use a bat wing -- have one on my Class C I never use, worse part is checking and putting down the antenna is on my check list.

Been there, done that too, years ago. Since then we slip a small leather pouch over the shift knob once we are camped and the antenna is raised. I can't tell how many times that little leather pouch has saved us pulling out with the antenna still up. Big reminder as it's right there as you're going for "D"!!

Enjoy your coach--you'll love it!!
twinknkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
Well thanks. First time to use a bat wing -- have one on my Class C I never use, worse part is checking and putting down the antenna is on my check list. So, it's important to use a check list if you have one.

I duct tape the tubes to the roof after the damage and assessed things yesterday. Still have power to the coax and the elevator tubes were the only thing damaged. Very pleased to make the $12.00 repair. Lesson learned.

Most difficult part of the drive was through Omaha. Cement truck on my right, semi on my left, we're all doing 60 around a curve. Oh, the other lesson learned quickly was looking ahead esp. at gas stations that were not truck stops or travel centers. Did not unhitch my toad but thought I was boxed in a couple times.

Living the dream, and very proud of the quality of this fine coach. Go Newmar!
I have a Red bag clip that is clipped on the Bat Wing ant. handle. When I raise the ant., the red clip goes on the top of the steering wheel. When I lower it, the clip goes back on the handle of the ant.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

CHF will fix up your wind/sway/truck passing issues for the most part:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html
Old 09-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I have a Red bag clip that is clipped on the Bat Wing ant. handle. When I raise the ant., the red clip goes on the top of the steering wheel. When I lower it, the clip goes back on the handle of the ant.

x2Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1474908589.241771.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	140008
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Best wishes on your Canyon Star. We bought a new 2013 and like you, we found the noise level to be pretty loud and the steering/ driving to be tiring. We agree that the factory service is exceptional. We kept ours 1 year and knew that we would t be happy full timing in that coach. We traded for a new 2014 Ventana. I only wish we had done this the first time.
katiejo is offline   Reply With Quote