Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

My Delusion: Removing a Flat Tire on the RV

I never thought I'd actually change an RV tire since I don't have a spare, but I have been under the delusion I could relocate a tire to the front or just remove a flat tire and limp on the remaining 7 to the closest service location.

I recently bought the Crossfire Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System by Dual Dynamics and tried to install it. I tried a 3/4" drive, long handled ratchet and even an air impact wrench; didn't even pretend to budge. Turns out the lug nuts are torqued to 450-500 LBS.

Living in the American west means there are huge distances with no service centers. Knowing that any tire issue could be a huge problem, I ordered a cheater wrench. I figure one use would probably make it worthwhile since I dread the idea of sleeping in the breakdown lane.

I'd really like to know how other people have solved this problem...
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #2

Order up a truss and back brace while your at it , those tire/wheel assemblies are HEAVY !
Old 05-27-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you can't get RV roadside assistance then try getting a heavy truck towing service. They are all over the place on Interstates. They have the gear to change you out or they can tow you in.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've never used one of the cheater wrench's. I have use many, many, cheater bars. Basicly it is a piece of pipe that fits over the end of a lug wrench or breaker bar. I've use them that are as long as 6 foot long on those 500 lb lug nuts. I usually have to break them free before I jack the tire off the ground. I have used a simple bottle jack to support the turn of the lug wrench or socket and breaker bar. They make all kinds of contraptions to help make the lug nut process easier, but the bottle jack or a jack stand seems to work the best for me. One of the many reasons I don't have a DP, I have to work to get the wheels off! good luck.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AzGoldigger--"...I'd really like to know how other people have solved this problem..."

Simple: join CoachNet.
I considered this question a few years back, and concluded that carrying a 20K Lb jack, a 500 ft/Lb wrench, and wrestling a 275 Lb wheel assembly while stopped in a breakdown lane was about as highly delusional as I could get. Plan abandoned.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:01 PM   #6

We do have roadside assistance. I got the cheater wrench idea from some truckers. The vastness of the west means you can easily be 200 miles from service and these truckers have to be pretty self reliant if they have to wander too far from the interstates.

I certainly don't plan on fixing the problem entirely, but I do want a way to get out of the way and park in a safe place.
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
We do have roadside assistance. I got the cheater wrench idea from some truckers. The vastness of the west means you can easily be 200 miles from service and these truckers have to be pretty self reliant if they have to wander too far from the interstates.

I certainly don't plan on fixing the problem entirely, but I do want a way to get out of the way and park in a safe place.
I got stuck in the Texas desert one time. Just as you described, 100 miles from anything. I was not prepared and it took me 3 hours to change the front tire. Calling for help sounds great, but there was no cell phone service, even for my old 2 watt analog bag phone. My options were, do it myself or wait a couple of days until I could get a cop to stop!
Old 05-28-2016, 06:11 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Watch this short video"Torque Multiplier Lug Nut Remover Demo"

https://youtu.be/vesBDXCWrUw
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #9

I went through this mental exercise after I got my Class A. What if I get stuck? I could be stuck for who knows how long. So I looked up everything I needed to carry and chance a tire on my MH. Torque multiplying wrenches/torque wrenches, bottle Jack, spare tire, trailer hitch mount for a spare (I forget the brand, but you can buy a rig that will carry a big class A tire on the back of your MH that plugs into your hitch, and it will lower the tire to the ground). I finally realized that in all my years of driving I've never had a blowout. That doesn't mean it will never happen, but I just could not justify the cost and storing all the junk associated with it.

All that said, I don't live or usually travel in such desolate areas. I do however carry a satillite phone so I could call for help no matter where I am. I bought the phone after being without land line or cell service after the Hurricanes here in Florida 10 years or so ago. I figure it's as far as I'll go toward preparing for the zombie apocolypse.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #10

Unhook toad and drive for help or if not "incommunicado;" call for help, then crank up the genny, pour yourself a drink, turn on the satellite, and enjoy the wait. The whole idea of a 60+ year old wrestling a class A tire assembly off/on a Class A is delusional--to me. Besides, carrying all the tools and equip. to do this right [safely] is a total waste of storage space and fuel. Severity vs probability--13 years and 160k miles and one flat--now you have done it--jinxed me for the next flat [smile].....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #11

There are several reasons you might want to remove a wheel, but doing it on the side of the road when you don't have a spare is not one of them. I use a professional certified 6x torque multiplier and a calibrated torque wrench to get the 480ftlb torque required for the wheel nuts. Those uncalibrated ones may help get the nut undone but they cannot get the nuts tightened down correctly.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
I never thought I'd actually change an RV tire since I don't have a spare, but I have been under the delusion I could relocate a tire to the front or just remove a flat tire and limp on the remaining 7 to the closest service location.

I recently bought the Crossfire Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System by Dual Dynamics and tried to install it. I tried a 3/4" drive, long handled ratchet and even an air impact wrench; didn't even pretend to budge. Turns out the lug nuts are torqued to 450-500 LBS.

Living in the American west means there are huge distances with no service centers. Knowing that any tire issue could be a huge problem, I ordered a cheater wrench. I figure one use would probably make it worthwhile since I dread the idea of sleeping in the breakdown lane.

I'd really like to know how other people have solved this problem...
If I get stuck like that I will take the toad to get service. I really do not see me changing a 400 lb tire on the road. And I do not worry about flats on the road or anything else. I have had one flat and was able to limp to a tire place and all they had was a used tire.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #13

Here's my thought, if you don't carry a spare and have to remove a tire to limp in for service on 7 tires, what are you going to do with the flat tire and rim? If you are trying to plan on removing a tire you might as well go ahead and figure out some way to carry a spare.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have a towing service, but just in case I also have a socket and wrench plus a 4' galvanized pipe I put on the handle of the wrench (cheater). My son and I used it to torque the lug nuts when the shop I used didn't have a big enough torque wrench. He weighed 100lb at the time so he just stood on the end of the pipe to get 400 ft lbs.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote