RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #1

My Newmar Adventure One Year Later

One year ago the August 2017 FMCA Magazine arrived in my mail box with a review article covering the Newmar New Aire. This was a new model not yet available at the local dealers. At that time I had no experience with Newmar products and never really considered getting a Class A coach. I was very interested in the concept of having a small luxury RV. Unfortunately, aside from the New Aire small and luxury was something not commonly found in the RV product line. I looked at the King Aire and Essex but they are just too darn big for my tastes. While those coaches are beautiful and I am sure very comfortable, the places they can go is very limited.

Not knowing anything about the Newmar sales structure I started to do some research by joining iRV2. A few days later I called the nearest dealer who claimed to have two of the first produced NA’s inbound with delivery at the end of September 2017. Both of these coaches were ordered for display at a major RV show in October. I called other dealers around the country who had NA’s on order but none were coming in soon.

Long story short I bought one of the RV’s inbound for the RV show, a NA 3343 identical to the brochure model found in the FMCA story. My NA 3343 was delivered on October 11, 2017. On October 14, 2017 I started a thread on iRV2 titled “New Aire Observations”. Now with 119,484 views and 1,097 posts that thread documents my journey of ownership.

So time for a big picture post appraisal. The New Aire is exactly the machine I had hoped for: big coach stuff in a small form factor. Newmar got it right when they conceived of this product. When everything is working this coach is a delight to drive and live in.

That’s the good news which often gets buried on this forum when it runs head on into the “cost” of ownership. By “cost” I am including what it costs to fix the machine when it breaks but also cost in time, inconvenience and frustration to keep this coach running. All of that “cost” was and is far more than I expected. My coach has never been back to the dealer. I have eaten all of the costs associated with warranty repairs. May seem dumb but you have to understand the local circumstances.

Early in my ownership (actually beginning on delivery day) it became very clear I had two problems: finishing the construction of the coach and then getting the coach fixed when it broke. All of that is covered in complete detail in the New Aire Observations thread.

I decided within a few days of taking delivery that “running the traps” for routine warranty service with the local dealer was not an option (logic covered in the thread). Driving the coach back to the factory 2,300 miles away seemed out of the question as winter approached. So I decided to “finish” the coach myself which consumed the next 7 months. One by one identified the problems and with the help of many fine folks on iRV2 I figured out how to fix the issues.

By May of 2018 all of the issues had been fixed. As of today only one issue is unresolved: the OnGuard Collision Mitigation System will crash (twice in 10,000 miles). I just completed a 5,000 mile cross country trip. Everything worked on the coach and nothing broke. I still can’t believe it.

So big picture. The New Aire is an excellent product once it is finished. I had one of the first units delivered so no doubt the product has improved.

My only word of caution to future owners of the New Aire (or any Newmar product) is that you must fully understand your service options locally. I am located in an area not well served for Newmar support and service. Depending on the time of year I am 300 miles round trip from both Newmar and FreightLiner service centers.

So the big question: would I do it again? Yes. But if I buy another Newmar product it will only be done with a factory pick up.

The only unresolved issue for me which has been a total failure to date has been my quest to get full and complete documentation for my coach. This issue alone was the single biggest frustration I have had since delivery. Armed with good documentation it is relatively easy to fix these coaches. Without it you have to literally reengineer the systems to solve problems.

Here are the documentation issues:

1. Owner’s Manual: Next to a useless document. The NA owners manual on Newgle is a joke. It is a universal owner’s manual for all Newmar products. It covers systems that are not included in the NA and fails to cover systems that are included. For a new owner it is totally confusing. I spent a lot of time early on looking for stuff not on my coach.

2. Maintenance Manual: There is none.

3. Electrical system schematics: There are none. Instead they will send (if you ask) termination points for the electrical system (fuses, plugs, lights ect). They will not send any documentation about how the systems are wired together.

4. Parts Manual: There is none. You can find some parts listed on Newmar web site but it is by no means exhaustive and carries no information about model applicability.

5. Newgle: This tool has some promise but again it is not specific to your model. When I look into my Newgle account for documentation about the NA I find reference to systems found in other models. Many links are dead. Other links just lead back to an OEM home page instead of pointing at the specific resource being referenced in the Newgle page.

6. FreightLiner Documentation: A mixed bag. There are both a Owner and Maintenance Manuals for recreational vehicle chassis. The problem (just like Newmar) is that the manuals are not chassis specific. The manuals cover the MC, MCL, XCL, XCM, XCP, XCR and XCS models. Causing all sorts of back and forth with the local diesel shop as I keep giving them things to do on my chassis only to find out many do not apply to the XCS. FreightLiner does make chassis electrical schematics available specific to model and they do a great job labelling wires.

So if I had it to do all over again I would buy my New Aire from any dealer in the country with the best price. I would never buy another Newmar product not delivered at the factory.

New Aire 3343 in the wild with everything working.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
My Newmar Adventure One Year Later

About the same time you were discovering the New Aire, I was writing the check for my 2018 DDDP 4018. My warranty expired yesterday. Since the DS has been around a lot longer and does not have nearly as much complexity as your NA, I’ve enjoyed a smoother first year of ownership.

But that said, I share every one of you first five observations above and you’ve described these issues very well. As for nbr six. I have a Spartan and, so far, I’ve only had one minor chassis issue.

Overall, I’ve really enjoyed all you information on the NA and look forward to following along as you start your next year of ownership.

Best regards.

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The owners manual is nuts. In today’s digital world, I don’t understand why they can’t build a manual for the specific coach. For example, the New Aire is all electric, we don’t need information on how to deal with on board propane tanks. There are more paragraphs on this warning or that warning than actual coach operation. Same goes for Newgle. If it wasn’t for this forum, people would really be in the dark.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Thank you for the follow up!
Old 08-24-2018, 05:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
When everything is working this coach is a delight to drive and live in.

Ah, the key phrase...
I know a lot of owners have had issues with the NA. I've had a few with my DS. Once ironed out, these coaches are a joy!

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Turbopilot I could not agree with you more on the lack of documentation, and poor owners manual. My 2016 Canyon Star had several critical mistakes that I took the time to point out to Newmar in 2015. Customer service almost made me feel dumb for reading the manual in such detail, the CS rep suggested that I must be an Aerospace engineer, because in his experience, this was the only type of person that actually read the manual in such detail! In helping others on the forum I discovered that the same mistakes still existed in the Owners manuals of subsequent model years!
I also was told that I shouldn’t rely on the manual for the most current information, and should log into Newgel.

Fast forward to my 2018 DS, the owners manual is like a scrapbook for warning labels, with very little helpful content.
I have also had electrical issues and requested diagrams, only to be told “they don’t exist”.

As far as Factory Pickup goes I’m on the fence, I agree that some of my issues could have been resolved there, but more of my issues took time and miles to appear, some of them pretty major. As upsetting as these issues were, I would have been even more upset if I had paid for factory delivery and still had these major issues. Like you I live about 2300 miles from the factory. At one point Newmar wanted me to return to them to straighten out these issues, close to 5,000 miles round trip. I opted to resolve the issues myself.

I still believe that Newmar makes a great MH, with a little more care for their customers concerns they could be amazing.

Turbopilot thanks for all the information you have shared over the last year, I look forward to your future contributions to our forum.
Stuart

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post

Here are the documentation issues:

1. Owner’s Manual: Next to a useless document. The NA owners manual on Newgle is a joke. It is a universal owner’s manual for all Newmar products. It covers systems that are not included in the NA and fails to cover systems that are included. For a new owner it is totally confusing. I spent a lot of time early on looking for stuff not on my coach.

2. Maintenance Manual: There is none.

3. Electrical system schematics: There are none. Instead they will send (if you ask) termination points for the electrical system (fuses, plugs, lights ect). They will not send any documentation about how the systems are wired together.

4. Parts Manual: There is none. You can find some parts listed on Newmar web site but it is by no means exhaustive and carries no information about model applicability.

5. Newgle: This tool has some promise but again it is not specific to your model. When I look into my Newgle account for documentation about the NA I find reference to systems found in other models. Many links are dead. Other links just lead back to an OEM home page instead of pointing at the specific resource being referenced in the Newgle page.

6. FreightLiner Documentation: A mixed bag. There are both a Owner and Maintenance Manuals for recreational vehicle chassis. The problem (just like Newmar) is that the manuals are not chassis specific. The manuals cover the MC, MCL, XCL, XCM, XCP, XCR and XCS models. Causing all sorts of back and forth with the local diesel shop as I keep giving them things to do on my chassis only to find out many do not apply to the XCS. FreightLiner does make chassis electrical schematics available specific to model and they do a great job labelling wires.
Pretty sure this is the Issue of the INDUSTRY!

Pretty sure almost all could be resolved With Images and a Real PDF of the Build.

In the Modular Housing Industry we call them "As Builts".

As these builds are complicated, they are also organized, and for the life of me, I do not understand the reason for not sharing the Build Info with the Buyer. Scan - Save - Share - just seems so Easy, -

Thanks for Sharing your Journey,

JMHO
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks

Turbo Pilot, Thanks for all your posts here. I'm doing Factory Pickup of 3341 it is my first motor home in 60 days . Your information is invaluable.

toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, vent