Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 03:47 PM   #1

My televator won't elevate. Help.

First night out on our vacation and as usual something has to happen. The televator got about 1/2 elevated and stopped. Now won't go up nor down.
Any ideas on what to look for, or what to tap with my hammer? Not really but kind of feel like it.
Any fuses for this behind the fireplace, or would they be located elsewhere?
If it won't move before we have to move in order to make our reservations any suggestions on stablizing it for travel?

Seems this happened on this 2015 DS a couple years ago but it would go back down then worked fine coming back up. Didn't have to do anything then so kind of at a loss now.

And this is on top of no dash air and a broken kitchen slide out motor bracket since we didn't have time to drive 90 miles for AC repair and 200 miles for the bracket replacement, assuming that's what Newmar will suggest after the dealer examines the cracks. No AC and unable to use the kitchen slide.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
First night out on our vacation and as usual something has to happen. The televator got about 1/2 elevated and stopped. Now won't go up nor down.
Any ideas on what to look for, or what to tap with my hammer? Not really but kind of feel like it.
Any fuses for this behind the fireplace, or would they be located elsewhere?
If it won't move before we have to move in order to make our reservations any suggestions on stablizing it for travel?

Seems this happened on this 2015 DS a couple years ago but it would go back down then worked fine coming back up. Didn't have to do anything then so kind of at a loss now.
Here's a long shot but if you have the foldout bed with air mattress in front of the televator, make sure the rolled up mattress is not pressing against the wood wall behind it.

Our televator made a bad noise one day and upon investigation the mattress was pressing against the wood backer and the wood backer was pressing against the televator when it was moving.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wagonmaster2,
Find the coach 12V block (not the chassis fuse block). Should be in the coach somewhere. The fuses are all labeled. IT may be a 120V motor. Find the 120V coach breaker panel. Check them out.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
Here's a long shot but if you have the foldout bed with air mattress in front of the televator, make sure the rolled up mattress is not pressing against the wood wall behind it.

Our televator made a bad noise one day and upon investigation the mattress was pressing against the wood backer and the wood backer was pressing against the televator when it was moving.
My televator comes up from behind the fireplace and the foldout bed is on the other side of the coach. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #5

Thanks Gary, I'll start looking for the breaker boxes. I know one is in the small bath but not sure where any of the others might be.

I just had this televator up/down a couple days ago while we were getting ready for this trip.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allen,

Check the 12 volt fuse in the bathroom labeled "F1" which supports tv accessories.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Allen,

Check the 12 volt fuse in the bathroom labeled "F1" which supports tv accessories.
The 20A fuse at "F!" looks good Scott. That panel of fuses don't give any description as to what they are. The other panel(with the flip type fuses) all have labels but none of them mention anything about TVs or accessories either. Am still looking. I unplugged the electrical plugs in the small cabinet at the end of the fireplace hoping maybe there might be a self-resetting in-line fuse someplace but nothing happened when those were plugged back in.
Still trying.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #8

Mine would not go down and it turned out the wires were wrapped around the shaft.

Dealer said he had seen that a few times before. We used pillows to stabilize the TV. Put them between the top cover of the TV and underside of the cabinet.
RMD3819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #9

Drove 400 miles today with the televator partially up (or down) and when we stopped for the day I pressed the up button on it all at once it finished the upward direction. Now that TV won't turn on using the remote. The TV over the dash is working fine as is the one in the bedroom. Tried pressing the on/off button on the back of the TV but that didn't do anything nor would the remote control after that.

Anything else I might try here now? I'm afraid to try the down button on the televator while I still may have something amiss behind the fireplace and from the top is the only way to see what's behind it.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #10

Our TV is powered from the GFI circuit connected to the receptacle under the microwave. A couple of times I have had to trip the GFI to correct the "blue screen of death".
Old 05-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #11

Preparing for tomorrow's travel I pushed the Down button on the Televator and it went down just like it should. Will try it again tomorrow at our new location to see if it elevates and might even turn on.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:27 AM   #12

Our televator went nuts in the middle of the night. It worked ok intermittently.
Had to replace the controller to get it to behave. No problems since.

Here is a video
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Preparing for tomorrow's travel I pushed the Down button on the Televator and it went down just like it should. Will try it again tomorrow at our new location to see if it elevates and might even turn on.
Good morning sir the gfi in the kitchen below the cabinets would not reset for us. This gfi controls power to the tv we figured this out when we unplugged the tv into a seperate non coach outlet and the tv worked . We contacted Newmar for a new gfi and they sent us a new one that would reset. We installed it ourselves and everything was good. Maybe try that and I hope that helps.

Safe travels my friend, David

17 DS 3724
NEWMARDS3724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:22 AM   #14

My Televator is behind my PS couch. I have had to go into to resolve similar issues. What I found is that the wires are so tightly bound that on two occasions the outlet plug came away from outlet. The HDMI cord is tightly bound with zip ties making a poor connection and all of it is wrapped tightly around the steel mounting frame. The first time I had the Factory fix it when up for warranty only to happen again months later. So spent an afternoon removing couch and panel. The mounting area is tight, but finally go it corrected. This may or may not be your issue, but just wanted to share.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote