Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #29

Boon docking isn't the only time gas appliances come in handy. Many National, State, and Provincial parks don't have electrical hookups and don't allow the use of generators. To survive in these locations with an all electric coach more than a couple days you'll need a massive set of batteries and solar panels to keep a residential refrigerator and an electric cook top working.

Last year we spent nearly 3 months on the road to and from Alaska. More than half the parks we stayed at didn't have electricity and didn't allow the use of generators. There were several others that had either 15 or 20 amp services from their own generators. The generators ran a limited number of hours and didn't provide true 60 cycle current. Many times it varied between 50 and 55 cycles per second. Light bulbs don't care about a cycle rate, but anything with a motor can overheat and be destroyed with continual use.

We considered how and where we intended to use this motorhome and the one before it. In both cases we opted for gas appliances wherever possible. I know it sounds strange but in a few cases we actually had to pay more to substitute a gas appliance where an electric one was standard.

We aren't full timers, but do use the motorhome regularly. Most trips are 2 or more months, with a few week long and weekend trips thrown in. Our last motorhome had well over 100,000 miles when we traded it in, and the current one is closing in on 15,000 miles in only the first year. We never have to worry whether or not there will be sufficient utilities, or any utilities at all for that matter. Essentially it's a self contained residence complete with all the utilities and appliances necessary to be off the grid for several weeks if necessary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #30

Thanks, Hikerdogs. I won't speak for the OP (I can barely speak for myself sometimes), but that is exactly the kind of real-world experience I am looking for when the time comes for us to find our coach.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
^^ This. As a wife and a cook, only a gas cooktop will do. I hate cooking on electric stoves. Of course, what better reason to eat out?

Let me reiterate that induction cooktops are nothing like standard electric stoves. Inductions cooktops are like an Apple MacAir while standard electric is like a Apple II Plus.

Induction is much better than natural gas, which is much better than propane, which is much better than a regular electric stove. I have yet to meet someone who has used an induction cooktop for a week that wants to go back. Instead I have met many people who have used one and then bought them for their S/B and vacation homes.

If you want to try induction out there are some pretty cheap portable units (single and dual burner) on Amazon, I use two burner "true induction" in our 'gas' coach and have a single burner duxtop as backup or to use outside by the grill.

An interesting side note is that since I went with the induction we have stopped eating out so much since cooking on them is so great.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #32

My wife REALLY wants a gas stove...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Let me reiterate that induction cooktops are nothing like standard electric stoves. Inductions cooktops are like an Apple MacAir while standard electric is like a Apple II Plus.

Induction is much better than natural gas, which is much better than propane, which is much better than a regular electric stove. I have yet to meet someone who has used an induction cooktop for a week that wants to go back. Instead I have met many people who have used one and then bought them for their S/B and vacation homes.

If you want to try induction out there are some pretty cheap portable units (single and dual burner) on Amazon, I use two burner "true induction" in our 'gas' coach and have a single burner duxtop as backup or to use outside by the grill.

An interesting side note is that since I went with the induction we have stopped eating out so much since cooking on them is so great.

Many will agree with you. Unfortunately, one negative some will see is that they require power, a nono for many boondockers. Much space, weight and $ for batteries and solar is not practical for many.

I do not boondock, but DW says "gas stove". End of story.

Dave and Nola - RVM1
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #33

Quote:

Induction is much better than natural gas, which is much better than propane, which is much better than a regular electric stove.
I agree with this totally!

While I like cooking on gas, I really would rather use it on a grill. My house has an electric cooktop and so did my previous house, so I've used electric for several decades and to me it doesn't change the flavor of my food. But I'd rather have induction because it's more efficient, faster and safer. I bought a single portable induction unit from Amazon and it's great.

I know a lot of people prefer 3 gas burners over 2 in their RV's. But a video I watched said that 3 burners aren't as hot as two burners. Something to think about.

Now with all this said, I understand concerns about dry camping or site restrictions if you have an all electric rig. For me if I went all electric, solar panels would be a must. And really, I prefer not to have gas because it's more dangerous.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I have zero interest in induction cooking. I use only stainless steel cookware, which I believe doesn't work with induction. Glad there are choices for all of us.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #35

"Gas is more dangerous".
Not relevant to those of us that have it. Use it. Like it.

Dave and Nola - RVM1
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #36

plasma800

I labored a little about the Oasis during the order process. I can tell you for me it was the correct decision. I left the dealer in southwest MO the middle of December and lived in the coach for 3 months in Arizona. We had many cool nights. For the most part we ran it using the electrical elements. We did run it a few times with the diesel burner and it supplied all the hot water and heat we needed. We never found noise to be a problem. Inside the coach you have to listen hard to hear it. Outside you hear it, but again nothing objectionable. If you are outside you will smell exhaust but have never smelled anything inside. It burns clean.

Incidentally, i keep the motorhome in unheated inside storage. I do have 30 amp electrcal service. During cold temps I keep a single element on in the Oasis
and set the thermostat at about 55. Works well. Another benefit I suppose.
Lancer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #37
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The only way to know what to get is to decide how you're going to use your coach. First off, the OP is looking at a Diesel Pusher with many amenities. So for someone with a gas coach to come along and say they wouldn't have this or that really has no bearing on the post, since the gas coach couldn't be purchased with some of the options that are being discussed. I'm not being snooty, just realistic. Gas coaches don't offer hydronic heating and don't really have the suspension, space , or price range to run all electric.

Second, some posters like "Hikerdog" and "CBQ" are talking about some specialized camping that 95% of the RVing population don't do, so they need a more off the grid rig.

RV's aren't going to all electric just to aggravate people, they're doing it because it's the future of the LARGE RV's. When we bought our Monaco in 2005 and it had a convection oven instead of a gas oven, we thought it was going to be impossible to cook anything. We were wrong and I like the convection far better than the gas oven.

We bought our new Dutch Star off a dealer lot, so we had no control over some of the features. The only propane item on our coach is a two burner stove. If I had ordered the coach, I probably would have gone all electric rather than have an entire tank system installed just to run a cooktop.

RV's are changing just like everything else. You can either accept technology or let it pass you buy. If you intend to boondock most of the time, then special order an all propane coach (if you can find someone who will build it). Hopefully someone will be interested in it when you're ready to sell.

Lastly, remember this post is about entry to mid level diesel pushers and not Class A gassers. So keep in mind the type of places where the coach will be used.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
keep em comin, this is the conversation points i need for good evaluation. When you're about to drop that money, you sure want to do it right the first time.

I love the idea of the oasis (cooking aside), and if it uses electric elements, that seems like a great thing.

We bookdock a lot, and usually when we arrive whereever we are going for the night, we run the genny while we cook, eat, watch tv, and shut it off just prior to going to bed, so far, we have never worn the batteries out overnight.
Forget about a new coach, I saw a great looking Fleetwood in the Forum classified that has a lot of new equipment, tires, floors and more. Has the gas range you are looking for as well. Beautiful coach, loaded. Oh wait, I'm sorry that one is yours. Enjoy the new coach.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Now THERE's a perspective! Appreciate that.

Here is another perspective. We have lived full time in the same coach for 7years now and have lived with gas & with electric. Our coach started life with a convex micro, a very nice 2 burner gas cooktop and no conventional oven. We, as do you, cook at home most of the time. After some adjustment time, we don't miss more burners and we do a 15 pound turkey in out convex a couple of time a year.

We have adjusted our equipment over time. We now have a 22 cubic ft residential frig. We have an Advantium oven and last year we bought a 2 burner induction cooktop. We haven't used the gas since and the induction will boil water faster than the gas. The heat level is instant and bottom line, we love it. If we ever replace out countertop the gas cooktop will get the old heave ho.

Living in a magic carpet requires some adjustment and adaptation.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Ok, so with the new newmars, most of them have that tiny two burner electric stove...

Wife is not happy about this and would prefer the 3 burner gas stove.

So I ask, if you have the gas stove, is the stove the only thing that runs on LP?
Does the LP Tank eat up storage or make you give up something else?
Can one still have oasis?
OK, so firstly I don't own a Newmar but I do own a Monaco.

Back in 2012 I removed the Atwood 3 burner cook-top and installed a 2 burner Princess Gourmet cook-top. We never used the 3 burners all at the same time plus the burners were too small to produce a nice large HOT flame.

The Princess Gourmet has one large burner and one small burner. The large one really put out the heat.

If we need more I have a portable induction cook-top which works great both inside and outside.

Since removing the POS Norcold aka NotSoCold and installing the Samsung fridge, the only appliance using the LPG is the cook-top. Fill the tank once and it lasts 2-3 years or more.

I have the Aqua-Hot model 431/12 which has the large coolant tank. I won't have a coach without an Aqua-Hot system AND it better be one of the larger systems like the current model 600, not one of the reduced sized systems like the model 450 which will turn off your radiant heat if the need for hot water is too great.

The LPG tank does take-up storage BUT it sits adjacent to my 130 gallon diesel tank both in the same compartment. The are mounted east-west which is the way they should be to balance out the weight correctly.

I like my setup and have lived in it over 10 years full-time. I have no desire to switch or upgrade. They don't build a coach today that has all of the amenities that mine NOW has since doing all of the upgrades myself. Even if they did I would not be able to afford it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I have zero interest in induction cooking. I use only stainless steel cookware, which I believe doesn't work with induction.
Actually most stainless steel cookware works with induction.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Sorry, but we couldn't disagree more with Slabman, on many levels. DW loves to cook and as you say, that tiny two burner without an oven just doesn't hack it in our rig. We have a 3 burner and oven and some times all are running, and the convection microwave. Furthermore, we don't have to have a smelly, rumbling Hydro-hot system heating a whole system just to get a bit of hot water, or have to put up with the significant expense and trying to find the right technician to do the annual maintenance or the numerous repairs they require. Take a look at the size of an LP tank in comparison to the Hydro-hot unit and see which is bigger. We have forced air heaters, a gas and electric hot water heater and a 18 cu ft household refrigerator. We boondock for up to two weeks on the LP system and current tankage , and I get fabulous meals whenever DW feels the need. We may run the generator a half hour to an hour in the evening if we've used the TV's and satellite Internet a lot, but the 500W solar takes care of the vast majority of our electric needs.

It took us 2 years to convince Bob Tiffin to build our 43' rig with gas, and we couldn't be happier. We have used it in temps down to 17 degrees and 40 mph winds and the system is fabulous. We boondock on rivers in Alaska and only stop in one full hook up CG going from DE to Alaska, but we're always comfortable, have full use of all the RV's amenities and don't get into a panic when a park with a 50A plug is not available. Unfortunately, with current trends it looks like all manufacturers are pushing for the All Electric coaches, so this will probably be our last Tiffin. Can't help wondering if it's permanent or a fad like the LP generators.

Regardless, decide how you'd like to live in your RV, and hunt around hard until you find someone who'll give you what you want. Just because "everyone's doing it" is no reason to go along with the herd.

Good luck, (from the very well fed)
i am with you 100% as well

real camping is in state parks or dry camping and most do not have power

if the gen gos down then every thing stops if your not on a big solar system like me

its hard for every thing to stop working on LP in less your out but i go for months on my system .. i am sure a gen well run out of gas faster

humm the price of gas or LP

LP for me is 90$ to fill my tank but i am sure its alot lower some where
100g fuel tank x what ever gas is going for

if some one is next to me i am more ok with the sounds we get from any thing LP then some ones gen running all times of the night

as i can see on here LP is just not cool .. but for me its just what i need
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas