Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #1

Mystery Metal found on top of slide out

I was up on the roof and noticed a long piece of rusted metal on top of one of the slide outs. It was the length of the slide out. I'm thinking part of the slide out seal. Here's some pics. It was in one piece until I picked it up, then it broke due to the rust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	177416   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	177417  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #2

That is out of your top slide seal, it locks it in place, I would say your top slide seal is shot.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd say that's the metal spline thats inside the slide seal gasket. I would check the condition of that seal near where you found it...I would imagine it's mangled and needs replacing.

I had the same issue on our bedroom slide, but underneath. About a 6 inch section got mangled and the spline was all bent and tore through the rubber slide seal. It's a small area, but the whole lower seal has to be changed to fix it. It just got hung up at some point and pulled and mangled.

I would imagine yours probably had a similar thing happen and got hung up and beaten up/torn etc...

Good luck!
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I was up on the roof and noticed a long piece of rusted metal on top of one of the slide outs. It was the length of the slide out. I'm thinking part of the slide out seal. Here's some pics. It was in one piece until I picked it up, then it broke due to the rust.
Better order a New Rubber Seal - Leaking Can't be far in your Future.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

That is definitely the slide seal, the metal fingers that grip the flange on the motorhome have rusted and the seal will no longer stay in place. This is a fairly common problem, I just experience it myself.

The seal can be obtained directly from Newmar for just over $5 a foot. Beware of other seals on Amazon or elsewhere as you need to get the correct seal, which is double bulb with a wiper AND and flap with 3M tape that adheres to the outside edge of the flange. Most similar products don't have this self adhesive flap. The correct part is Newmar # 85582. This corresponds to the manufacturers part number ED-50468-T.

I was lucky and only the front edge seal section had rusted so I cut it out from just up under the leading edge of the topper where the fingers were still shiny metal. Then I butt jointed the new piece to the top piece using Krazy Glue, overlapping the wiper flap. Then some permatex to ensure the joint is waterproof.

In your case, since the top is out, you should replace the entire seal.

You will need the slide open a foot or two to do the job, which is done from the outside. You will need to undo and flip the topper up onto the roof to get access. There are how-to's for topper removal on-line, be careful to lock the spring in the roller tube.

Replacing the entire seal is probably a 3 hour job. Cut the wipes at the top corner radius the same as the old seal so they overlap at the top corners. You can do this as you install. Take a couple of pictures of the radius cuts before you start. Mine has a coupe of screws at each top radius turn presumably to help keep it in place and that would be an area of stress, I put these back through the new seal into the same holes. Be sure to clean the surface of the fiberglass with alcohol before pulling the paper off the 3M tape so it adheres well (this is your final step).

The hardest part of this job is pressing the new seal's U groove (the groove with the metal fingers) onto the motorhome flange. It's tough on the fingers and there is not a lot of room. I used a small pry bar and wooden block to add some leverage to get it in place. It would probably help to have another set of hands and a couple of ladders.

It's not rocket science and if you have average technical skills you can do the job.
Or you can pay a dealer their estimated 4-6 hours labor.

Good Luck

PM me and I'll send you a picture of the Newmar product with part number from Comnet
Old 09-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
That is definitely the slide seal, the metal fingers that grip the flange on the motorhome have rusted and the seal will no longer stay in place. This is a fairly common problem, I just experience it myself.

The seal can be obtained directly from Newmar for just over $5 a foot. Beware of other seals on Amazon or elsewhere as you need to get the correct seal, which is double bulb with a wiper AND and flap with 3M tape that adheres to the outside edge of the flange. Most similar products don't have this self adhesive flap. The correct part is Newmar # 85582. This corresponds to the manufacturers part number ED-50468-T.

I was lucky and only the front edge seal section had rusted so I cut it out from just up under the leading edge of the topper where the fingers were still shiny metal. Then I butt jointed the new piece to the top piece using Krazy Glue, overlapping the wiper flap. Then some permatex to ensure the joint is waterproof.

In your case, since the top is out, you should replace the entire seal.

You will need the slide open a foot or two to do the job, which is done from the outside. You will need to undo and flip the topper up onto the roof to get access. There are how-to's for topper removal on-line, be careful to lock the spring in the roller tube.

Replacing the entire seal is probably a 3 hour job. Cut the wipes at the top corner radius the same as the old seal so they overlap at the top corners. You can do this as you install. Take a couple of pictures of the radius cuts before you start. Mine has a coupe of screws at each top radius turn presumably to help keep it in place and that would be an area of stress, I put these back through the new seal into the same holes. Be sure to clean the surface of the fiberglass with alcohol before pulling the paper off the 3M tape so it adheres well (this is your final step).

The hardest part of this job is pressing the new seal's U groove (the groove with the metal fingers) onto the motorhome flange. It's tough on the fingers and there is not a lot of room. I used a small pry bar and wooden block to add some leverage to get it in place. It would probably help to have another set of hands and a couple of ladders.

It's not rocket science and if you have average technical skills you can do the job.
Or you can pay a dealer their estimated 4-6 hours labor.

Good Luck

PM me and I'll send you a picture of the Newmar product with part number from Comnet
Thanks-- you have confirmed my suspicion. Now the decision is whether to take it to the dealer or do it myself. I'm leaning toward the dealer as I have an extended service plan with a $100 deductible. That would be my total outlay.
If I were to do it myself, I'd pay about $60 +/- for the seal and then spend 3-4 hours in the 90+ degree heat on the roof.
I'll see when the dealer can get me in-- if it's an extended wait to get in, I'll go ahead and do it myself.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks-- you have confirmed my suspicion. Now the decision is whether to take it to the dealer or do it myself. I'm leaning toward the dealer as I have an extended service plan with a $100 deductible. That would be my total outlay.
If I were to do it myself, I'd pay about $60 +/- for the seal and then spend 3-4 hours in the 90+ degree heat on the roof.
I'll see when the dealer can get me in-- if it's an extended wait to get in, I'll go ahead and do it myself.
If I had a warranty with $100 deductible I would go that route. I spent more than that on a piece of seal that the dealer in Canada charged me 14.95 a foot...from Newmar box of seal he cut it from...moral of story, get work done when south for the winter.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
If I had a warranty with $100 deductible I would go that route. I spent more than that on a piece of seal that the dealer in Canada charged me 14.95 a foot...from Newmar box of seal he cut it from...moral of story, get work done when south for the winter.
Just waiting to see when the dealer can get it in..... I've had great coverage from the service plan. New roof AC, washing machine,GPS and other items. If I group items together, it's only $100 for the group so I'll likely add a few other items I'd normally do.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Just waiting to see when the dealer can get it in..... I've had great coverage from the service plan. New roof AC, washing machine,GPS and other items. If I group items together, it's only $100 for the group so I'll likely add a few other items I'd normally do.

Do you mind my asking who your warranty is with? We are in the process of deciding who we want to get one through. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Lizards View Post
Do you mind my asking who your warranty is with? We are in the process of deciding who we want to get one through. Thanks.
Coachnet--- includes tires/wheels,pretty much everything in/on the coach as well as road side assistance. If you do go with them ( or anyone ) it's best to do it while your manufactures warranty is still in effect - I did mine a few days before expiration, otherwise cost goes up significantly. Cost was under $4k for 7 yrs/75,000 miles.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Coachnet--- includes tires/wheels,pretty much everything in/on the coach as well as road side assistance. If you do go with them ( or anyone ) it's best to do it while your manufactures warranty is still in effect - I did mine a few days before expiration, otherwise cost goes up significantly. Cost was under $4k for 7 yrs/75,000 miles.

Thanks, we have a quote from them 12k plus for 6 years. Might be because we are full timers.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Lizards View Post
Thanks, we have a quote from them 12k plus for 6 years. Might be because we are full timers.
Wow!~

Tags
slide, slide out