Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2020, 05:36 PM   #1

Nappanee Advice

Hi All,

We are headed to Newmar for service during the Easter break.

Couple questions for those that have been there before.

1. Is there a kennel locally for our dog if we want to day trip dog free? How soon do you need to reserve?

I understand that there is a pet lounge at the repair center?

What do you do with your dog all day long? Any dog parks nearby?

2. What if any facilities are available at the lounges? Showers? Washers? Etc?

3. Can you get in your coach during the day?

4. Do you need to be near the facility all day in case there is an issue or will they call you if you are out sightseeing?

5. Best to fill water and run off the tank rather than hooking and unhooking daily? Same with sewer?

6. Load me up with things do and eat during our trip. We are very familiar with the Amish culture and food and greatly enjoy it.

7. Any other tidbits will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #2

John,

Actually....ALL of your questions will be answered by Newmar, themselves, when you schedule your service!

No fear.

Also, I’d suggest heading over to the “Camp Newmar” thread where you’ll find TONS of info about local places and meet up with others.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would have to agree with Captain Gizmo - call Newmar - - but I'll take a stab at a couple of your questions - answers in red....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresdogsr View Post
Hi All,

We are headed to Newmar for service during the Easter break.

Couple questions for those that have been there before.

1. Is there a kennel locally for our dog if we want to day trip dog free? How soon do you need to reserve? OR - be proactive and Google Kennels/Doggie Day Care in Nappanee, IN

There is a Service Center Host......if you can get her on the phone - she may have some info about kennels in the local area or doggie day cares. Or just Google...easy peezy!

I understand that there is a pet lounge at the repair center?

Yes, with coffee, sink, and rest rooms.

What do you do with your dog all day long? Any dog parks nearby?

Whatever you want......most people just keep their dogs with them in the pet lounge. Not sure about Pet Parks...again - ask Newmar or Google.

2. What if any facilities are available at the lounges? Showers? Washers? Etc?

The facility is rather nice, large seating area for non-pet holders, private rooms one can set up in and do work or just chat on the computer, washers and dryers, wifi, Parts Store, board games to use, card decks, magazines to read, kitchen with micro wave, coffee, fridge - in the summer, you can watch the grass grow. There are people to chat with.......it can actually be a pretty boring place. Sight seeing is a good idea. People with pets are limited to the pet lounge.

3. Can you get in your coach during the day?

Yes - - but not really. You are free to walk out into the service area - if you need something or want to speak with the servicing tech - I am sure they would let you get an item you needed - but just sitting and watching tv in your motor home - - - probably not.

4. Do you need to be near the facility all day in case there is an issue or will they call you if you are out sightseeing?

No - they will call.

5. Best to fill water and run off the tank rather than hooking and unhooking daily? Same with sewer?

That's up to you......I can't answer that. If you are lazy and don't want to bother with the RV Stuff everyday - absolutely - use your on board tanks. You will be there in April - - check with Newmar and see if water will be turned on. Sewer is always on and the "new" campground is rather a nice upgrade from the old with all FHU sites. One last thing - - you will have to unnook your toad.

6. Load me up with things do and eat during our trip. We are very familiar with the Amish culture and food and greatly enjoy it.

If I had to do that -- I could go in your place - - sometime you just have to "think" for yourself.

7. Any other tidbits will be appreciated.

Nappanee is a cute, small Midwest town. If you like quaint shops - they have them. There is an RV Museum I believe in Goshen, IN. Lots of small good restaurants. As previously mentioned - - head to the Camp Newmar iRV2 thread - - lots of experts there.....

One last tid-bit - - bring $$ - lots of $$$$ - - Mother Newmar is always hungry.....and buy gas - - lots of it - - Indiana taxes the heck out of it for road repairs. Our roads stink - - so we need your $$$ to fix them - - thank you for your support.

One last thing - you'll be there in early April - - - you could have beautiful Spring weather - or a Lake Effect snow storm.......so - bring clothes for two seasons.....and enjoy.

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 01-09-2020, 06:46 AM   #4

Be sure to go to the 'ROCKET SCIENCE ICE CREAM SHOP'!
Great fun and delicious!- Paul
Old 01-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #5

Again, Newmar will send you a Welcome Packet with everything you need to know...including hookup info.

The only thing they left out, and will hopefully add in the future, is that T-Mobile is completely DEAD around the area of Newmar.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
They will supply you with the name of a local vet that will board dogs. We used them the day we went on the factory tour (highly recommended). They do not list a dog park. We found one run by the town. You can get a pass through the Nappanee Parks Dept. need to provide shots and other info. $5 for a 1 week pass.
Don’t miss Rise and Roll donuts [emoji3]
Old 01-10-2020, 01:13 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was bummed by how few dog park options there are in the area. Anything closer than 25 miles from CN has a membership fee. Made it a mission to hunt for parks, because what else was I going to do with all that free time between 6 and 2 pm.

My favorite was Margaret H Prickett Marina & Dog Park (13100 Jefferson Rd, Mishawaka, IN 46545). It is a very large off-leash facility, free, not far from the nearest Walmart and Whole Foods (nearest Amazon drop ship location - before I learned CN will accept delivery). Anyway, it is about 30 min from CN.

Turns out my dog really liked walking the residential streets between CN and the golf course too. Also, nice little paved trail at Stauffer Park (703 N Jackson St, Nappanee, IN 46550). Runs parallel to their drainage ditch. No traffic when I was there so I let her walk it off leash.

I like Eggs Benedict and really enjoyed that meal at US 6 Diner (1103 E Market St, Nappanee, IN 46550). It is within 5 -10 min walk from CN.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #8

I agree about the US 6 Diner. Food is pretty good. I've eaten breakfast there enough that Connie recognizes me now. Maybe I've been spending too much time in the repair shop!
BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice