Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #1

NA's lack of real battery disconnect = I have a dead bank

My NADP was in for some maintenance items and then off to a body shop for repairs from an accident. Between the maintenance items (at an authorized dealer who couldn't keep the coach plugged in) and the body shop (which just didn't plug it in), I am now in this situation. The coach is ready to return to me (it's been 2 months) ... but I was told the house batteries read 0.7 volts. I forgot to ask where that measurement was taken.
I verified with Discover (battery manufacturer) that this places the battery in an unrecoverable state.
Diamond RV is charging them overnight and will do a load test in the morning. But if that array truly read 0.7, I'll be demanding a replacement.
Could they have been disconnected by removing the wire? Sure. But guess what - everyone who works on these will believe the "Battery disconnect" switch at the stairs is good enough. It is not.
I gave explicit instructions regarding this -- keep it plugged in, use AGS, whatever; because the disconnect is not sufficient.

So, if you're having it serviced, make sure they physically disconnect the batteries. Put a sign on the disconnect switch (because your message to physically disconnect won't make it to whoever's working on it). Install your own disconnect (I will be). And make sure you can monitor it.

I'll know more tomorrow.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #2

I suspect this will be an issue for several NA owners. I can’t imagine that the engineers intended for the draw with the disconnect on would be so great. I am curious if this is the same for King Aire and Essex or if they have a true disconnect?
FSU Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

Theres always a parasitic draw on the batteries per Newmar. I was having issues while plugged in at my indoor storage. we were leaving everything in the on position including the 12v disconnect, we that was the wrong thing for me to be doing. After the 4th time I got ahold of my Customer Service rep for MADP and we had a long discussion. We decided that the coach was drawing more than the incoming A/C power was providing so the transfer switch would switch to inverter and Batts then they'd be dead in a few days. Mine have recovered just fine and our new sequence is to shutoff everything on the sub panel and also shutoff the disconnect at the door but leave the Inverter on, the last time we dropped it off was June 10th and I just picked it up yesterday and all was good with the Batts 13.4v.
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #4

I'm curious why they told you to leave the Inverter on. I would have expected off. Did they give you an explanation? If so then what was it?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I'm curious why they told you to leave the Inverter on. I would have expected off. Did they give you an explanation? If so then what was it?

He said the incoming current has to go through the inverter to charge the batteries.
Hmf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #6

That makes sense if it is plugged in. If it is not plugged in and you are trying to store the unit then having the Inverter on is a power draw with it idling.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmf23 View Post
He said the incoming current has to go through the inverter to charge the batteries.
My Magnum inverter has separate inverter / charger on / off controls. The inverter draws about 30 watts with no loads, if I shut that off it draws nearly nothing but will still charge the batteries if plugged in so long as the charge section is on.

I would be surprised if your did not have the same separation of inverter and charger controls. You definitely want the inverter section off if trying to reduce parasitic draws.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #8

The Magnum can be 'On' but unless the charger lite is on the RC50 control panel or whatever control that bit on the Newaire then the batteries are not being charged. Likewise there is no need to turn the inverter side on, inverter lite displayed on the RC50 or similar on the Newaire which is what is powering your house AC system while running solely on batteries.

About the only time I would turn on the inverter while on external power would be if I had food in the fridge that might spoil if i had an external power loss and I didn't want to setup the generator to autostart.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #9

Turning off the inverter is not sufficient in the NA by a long shot. It was off in my case. There are other draws.

Can I get someone with an NA to try something for me? Other models won’t provide a useful datapoint.

They charged overnight and they’re currently operating but I don’t know how strong they are compared to new nor do I have a way to test capacity. But for a little evidence, can someone run about 3k off the inverter and battery with no other major loads? I used a space heater and microwave at same time. Note the before and during voltages (12v side) on the silverleaf panel. I’ve done this myself and would like to compare.

I will have to take this up with newmar because event tho I have written documentation from the battery manufacturer stating that the batteries need replacing, diamond didn’t want to do anything without me engaging newmar directly. So I want to build a strong case and the comparison above may help.

Thank you!
Old 07-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
While we do not own the NA, we have a VT4369. Early (first 7 mos of ownership) we
We’re plagued with battery issues. Replaced the dreaded Interstate wet batteries with Discovery AGM’s all done at NEWMAR. The issue was found to be the basement lock control unit. . . now an official RECALL. NEWMAR replaced the control unit and all basement door actuators. The instructed me when in storage to turn inverter-off, battery disconnect-off and turn chassis battery-off. Problem solved. No more dead batteries.
Blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Our Bay Star has the same problem. Absolutely the best $30 mod on this rig has been the physical battery disconnect switch.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect