RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a Dutch Star and flat tow my 2019 full sized Ram 1500.

How would this rig work if I purchased a 43' Dutch Star and planned on staying in some State or National Parks or normal campgrounds in general in my journeys?

Am I better off searching for a 40' Dutch Star or even a 37 footer?

Since I have never owned a rig of this size, what are the logistics when it comes to maneuvering to fuel?

BTW, I live in PA and travel the East.

In a couple of years, we are going to expand our horizons to include the rest of the country.
First off - Congrats on the Selection(even if just tentative) - IMHO a Great size and unless you are under 30' it will make little difference in most parks. (But what do I know I've only been doing this for 50 Years )

Your replies on this could be Hundreds and as varied as the people who answer - so it will ALL depend on YOU.

Over the years we have moved up a few feet at a time - and I'm content in my 43' unit (only 43' because if 45 it would have had a 600 HP engine - )

Find the floor plan that work for YOU.

Most of your travel in the East will be on Major roads as the state roads are just too loaded with Lights so size is fine - Maneuvering is YOU - I owned a Contracting business so driving/maneuvering was never an issue. Fuel over the years Gas and Diesel mileage usually depends on SPEED YOU drive so figure 7-8 MPG's and you will be close.

As you move west of the Mississippi you will find things Bigger and Boondocking the norm - so - IMHO - driving off the I's is Easy and Camping is Easy - State and Local CG's are popular and for the most part well done (Big enough) - weekends are needing a Plan anywhere as are Popular destinations - we tend to do most of our personal trips in the Off Season as it is more the way it used to be, for us.

Best of Luck with your decision and future,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
When you decide to start traveling in an RV 40' and over you have to start pre-planning your travels a little differently IMHO.

Bruceisla brings up a good point which if you are careful with your planning you can still be okay with.

We decide on where we will go and what roads will get us there in advance. If any State or U.S. Highways are involved I consult my Commercial road atlas to make sure there are no now overpasses on the route.

I will pick my fuel stops in advance. I pull up Google Earth Pro and start by checking the area getting in and out of my fuel stops, then I move on to checking views for the camping sites or campground we will be going to. If there are a ton of trees then I do more "street viewing" so I can get a better feel for possible low hanging branches.

All of this usually only takes about 10 minutes. If we are going to a CG I question them pretty good when making the reservation. I also read all reviews associated with them.
We also plan ahead just like this. Going to and from Florida, we use the same fuel stops and mostly the same campgrounds. I'll have to check into Google Earth Pro. I think we are only using Google Earth. Since we are towing the Explorer, we can't back up. All the more reason to plan ahead.

Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #17

I think 40' would be max in most parks with some exceptions. With our 40' we have stayed in Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion, Bryce, Moab, Big Bend and others and tons of state parks, especially in the West. We've also stayed in many, many national forest campgrounds. The majority of our stays are without reservations.

As far as not have full hookups we could last about 12 days before having to dump. Max time in the parks is 14 days anyway.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:55 AM   #18

My issue with some state and national parks is not the length of our coach (37) but the height. I really hate to hear the screech of branches on paint.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, national