Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar is very flexible when it come to making modifications to your coach order. A call to Newmar will answer your question.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Newmar is very flexible when it come to making modifications to your coach order. A call to Newmar will answer your question.
Thanks TonyDi, I will do that when i'm ready to order.
RJ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ51 View Post
If so many people are not satisfied with the Clarion why does Newmar keep installing these units. I plan on ordering a Dutch Star in the next couple of months and I do not want the Clarion Radio. I have a Pioneer car play radio in my current RV and it works very well. I would like to install this radio in the new RV .DNX773S | Navigation and Multimedia | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA. Does anyone know if Newmar will do this. It has Garmin GPS and you can also use Apple maps.

i bought my 16 dutchstar off the lot new as equipped. sound from the clarion is ok. not great. but not bad enough to warrant replacement. maybe they dont have customers complaining to them about the clarion, just on forums like this
Old 07-06-2016, 04:34 AM   #18

It is not about the sound that I have a problem with. It is that the navigation is designed for a car not an rv so that there is no way to put in your height to insure you do not come to a bridge that is too low. I assumed it was so didn't ask the question. Also, I have contacted Newmar to complain or rather suggest that they rethink this and they said they are working on a fix so I guess others have also complained about this issue. I have contacted newmar again to see when and if the fix will help those of us that have these current systems. There are systems out there for trucks and rvs just surprised they didn't use one of them that's all.
lands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #19

Lands
Keep us up to date if you hear something

J
ThatzGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Navigation on DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ51 View Post
If so many people are not satisfied with the Clarion why does Newmar keep installing these units. I plan on ordering a Dutch Star in the next couple of months and I do not want the Clarion Radio. I have a Pioneer car play radio in my current RV and it works very well. I would like to install this radio in the new RV .DNX773S | Navigation and Multimedia | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | KENWOOD USA. Does anyone know if Newmar will do this. It has Garmin GPS and you can also use Apple maps.
RJ,
Were you able to find out if Newmar is willing to change the cheap Clarion system to the one of your liking? I'm in process of ordering my DS and at 1st chose not to get the Nav., but stick to the standard Sony radio...but afer seeing the standard Sony in a gasser, it sticks out in the dash and looks cheap and out of place next to the camera monitor.
I have a JVC Nav/CD/HD radio/Bluetooth/DVD etc.. in my current Phaeton, and while the Nav isn't like the Garmin, I'm sure it's leaps and bounds over a Clarion brand!
Honestly don't know why Newmar builds a great coach fit/finish...but is so behind on their electronics and always has been...

Thx,
Doreen & Ed
Bowl300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #21

I wonder if you take factory deliver, if service will install a GPS of your choice or at least a better looking radio?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowl300 View Post
RJ,

Were you able to find out if Newmar is willing to change the cheap Clarion system to the one of your liking? I'm in process of ordering my DS and at 1st chose not to get the Nav., but stick to the standard Sony radio...but afer seeing the standard Sony in a gasser, it sticks out in the dash and looks cheap and out of place next to the camera monitor.

I have a JVC Nav/CD/HD radio/Bluetooth/DVD etc.. in my current Phaeton, and while the Nav isn't like the Garmin, I'm sure it's leaps and bounds over a Clarion brand!

Honestly don't know why Newmar builds a great coach fit/finish...but is so behind on their electronics and always has been...

Thx,

Doreen & Ed

I don't think the Amish/Mennonite are known for their AV expertise.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowl300 View Post
RJ,

Thx,
Doreen & Ed
I have not been able to find out if they would change out the Clarion for another radio of my choice, but if they don't I would not order the clarion and just accept the sony provided they would at least install the gps antenna on the roof and I will install it myself. Even in the higher end coaches they still use the junk from clarion, must been a money maker for them I guess.
RJ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had a Pioneer AVIC D-1 in my Diplomat (added when I bought the coach new) and loved it. It was one of the most sophisticated stereo/GPS units you could buy at the time. They're still one of the best.

After purchasing the Dutch Star, I had plans on installing another Pioneer unit, but after using the Clarion unit, I'm pretty happy with how it works. I thought the sound was poor, but that was the $3.00 speakers Newmar used and I replaced.

My only complaint with the Clarion, is the screen is a little small, but otherwise, it's been very accurate and does a good job showing lanes when it's time for a lane change or off ramp.

I've always run two GPS units, another one over by my wife who can separately look for things while were driving, like rest stops, without changing the route on the dash unit. It has the RV maps, but I've found they really never come into play. Unless you intend on driving your 40' rig on country roads, the roads across the U.S. are pretty well marked.

By the way, you can do the update anywhere. You don't need the computer to be in the coach. You simply remove the SD card and take to someone, neighbor, friend or even the library and do the update. Reinstall the card and your done.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems