Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2005, 04:21 AM   #1

The Good And the Bad please hammer away.Also a list or check list.I am looking at a unit to buy what is a good price..??Also any other thing's I should Know Please be truefull Mileage etc..past problem's You may have had.Private E-Mail Please I will check often.And also follow up Private if You ask.Thank's for the help in advance..Johnjohnmc@kent.net
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2005, 04:21 AM   #2

The Good And the Bad please hammer away.Also a list or check list.I am looking at a unit to buy what is a good price..??Also any other thing's I should Know Please be truefull Mileage etc..past problem's You may have had.Private E-Mail Please I will check often.And also follow up Private if You ask.Thank's for the help in advance..Johnjohnmc@kent.net
Old 11-22-2005, 12:48 AM   #3

Hi John, Perhap a little more information on the unit you are looking at would help.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
Hi John, Perhap a little more information on the unit you are looking at would help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Lug Nut:I am asking in regards to a 2001 Dutch Star D.P. Cat&Allison 40' loaded unit...John
Old 11-23-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
John, go to "find" just above you and type in "dutch star 2001" and you will have plenty of reading. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
John, go to "find" just above you and type in "dutch star 2001" and you will have plenty of reading. "007" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank You 007 John
Old 11-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #7

Well a let down I always try and give advice when I have it. But find it hard to swallow that no one will say a word in My request for information.I asked for the imformation from You the owners for You would know and even said send via;private mail to not show the bad thing's about Your motor home's to all but no bite's I am looking to buy one and that's all and I still think they sold a few in 2001 so do not be shy let's hear the Good&Bad Please..John
Old 11-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #8

Do not have on 01 but and 02DSDP.
Have had problems with the electric step, spot light, inverter, dash AC and generator. All fixed under Newmar 3y 36,000 warranty. Over 50,000 miles have average ~ 8.33 MPG and we always tow somtthing. Even with these minor problems this the best MH we aver owned out of 6. Plan to keep it at least 10 years.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:33 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wallynm:
Do not have on 01 but and 02DSDP.
Have had problems with the electric step, spot light, inverter, dash AC and generator. All fixed under Newmar 3y 36,000 warranty. Over 50,000 miles have average ~ 8.33 MPG and we always tow somtthing. Even with these minor problems this the best MH we aver owned out of 6. Plan to keep it at least 10 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank You for the reply.Sounds like You have a good unit.I still have to see about the one I am looking at but You are heading Me in the Plus direction Have a great Day John
Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 AM   #10

bushman512003 I also do not have a '01 Dutchstar but a '02 Kountry Star and I have had only a couple minor issues since purchasing my MH. Both issues where taken care of by the selling dealer under warranty. One was a switch that had gone bad on the drivers console for the fog lamps and the other was a ceiling fan than went south.
I would highly recommend Newmar products to anyone looking to replace there current RV. I have owned both 5th wheels and MH in the Newmar line and Newmar will be my first choice again.

Derek aka Mindcandies
Old 11-29-2005, 03:40 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bushman - I bought my rig based a lot on Newmar's reputation for quality. After 2 years of ownership I am reassessing that reputation based on my experiences. I have had to have: the step cover motor replaced 3 times, living room slide topper replaced because of de-lamination, oil seals have leaked twice on the front wheels requiring fixes during our travels (not where I planned to spend my time), replace the audio amplifier, leaky toilet seal (that's a real pleasant event - and it's still leaks), rehang the shower door twice because of binding on the bottom (again, not fixed yet), three trips to repair the genset (would start and run on it's own!).

So - would I buy another Newmar? I really don't think so - especially since they have dropped the warrantee period to 1 year.

That said - what do you other Newmar owners have to say? Am I being too particular? Is this normal for a motorcoach?

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:46 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mindcandies:
bushman512003 I also do not have a '01 Dutchstar but a '02 Kountry Star and I have had only a couple minor issues since purchasing my MH. Both issues where taken care of by the selling dealer under warranty. One was a switch that had gone bad on the drivers console for the fog lamps and the other was a ceiling fan than went south.I would highly recommend Newmar products to anyone looking to replace there current RV. I have owned both 5th wheels and MH in the Newmar line and Newmar will be my first choice again.Thank You for the reply.Not getting many but all so far are good I know used units are to have some problems but hind site is a help as the price of these units are a binding and long to keep investment.Again thanks John

Derek aka Mindcandies </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-29-2005, 03:53 AM   #13

Wow Sorry to hear about Your problems.Question are there many miles on Your home?Did You buy new?I wonder why so many things wrong.You are a lone so far but I have not had many letters so far John
Old 11-29-2005, 04:43 AM   #14

John I purchased my MH used with 25k miles. I agree that any coach new or used will need some sort of repair and upkeep, it's just the nature of the beast. The problems I had where very minor and where handled by the selling dealer as the coach was still warranty when they developed. Since those problems I have had no others. That has been over a year, just normal maintenance as any unit would require. I don't think you will go wrong with the one you are looking at if you do a thorough inspection from roof to undercarrage, front bumper, to tail lights and everything between. Also don't forget to check the DOT manufacturing date on the tires to make sure that they are recent. If not make the dealer replace them as part of the deal or plan on the expense yourself. There are varying opinions but the average is
5-6 year life in the tires, no matter how good they look.
Keep us posted as to your search is going,

Derek aka Mindcandies