Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #1

Need Advice

I recently purchased a 2005 MADP with 88000 miles on it. US Warranty wants $8000 for three years coverage. I am trying to decide if it is worth it. I would appreciate any suggestions and/or experiences on extended warranties pro or con. Thanks.
EPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Answers for this are going to be all over the map. I personally would want to ensure that it covered engine failure with the expectation that you have no service records for the mileage before 88k and there may have been no maintenance.

Also know what the deductible and max coverage limits are.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #3

The only thing those company's are good at is trying to deny claims. You can fix a lot of stuff for $8000, and I doubt your Cummins engine is suddenly going to blow up.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #4

My research showed that if it is mechanical in an engine or a tranny, they deny it. You have to read deep into their fine print. If they paid out on everything they'd be out of business so....
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #5

They make more than enough money on premiums received than claims paid to bank a tidy profit.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #6

Your in good hands until you make a claim...lol

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #7

When we were buying our coach, I worked with Wholesales Warranty on some quotes. This as in late 2009, and at that time, they strongly 'nudged' e towards a warranty that was written to specially identify 'What was not covered - and by default, everything else was covered.' (Exclusionary is the buzzword I think I recall.).

And shopping around with brokers is always advisable, I still believe Wholesale Warranty is well thought of, as back then, and since then, I've read of many times when WW stepped in as sort of advocate to help work between a customer and the actual insurer to make sure the contract was honored...

Some I know have had multiple used coaches with warranty coverage that more then covered the costs of the warranty. But, many have found they'd be better off 'self insuring'. IMO, much depends upon the actual Extended Warranty chosen, an d how well the owner's followed the 'process' spelled out in the contract, along with the repair facility involved... as the contract terms are key...

Note: The coach I was negotiating on at the time I had quotes from WW, fell thru - as my offer was depending upon the results from follow up testing - problem showed up that this specific owner had, IMO, known about and tried to hide... When we ended up with a much lower miles, a simpler less complex Allure over the higher complexity and mileage and years of age Magna that I walked away from - we decided to 'self insure'.

Best of luck on your final decision, and coach!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPAZ View Post
I recently purchased a 2005 MADP with 88000 miles on it. US Warranty wants $8000 for three years coverage. I am trying to decide if it is worth it. I would appreciate any suggestions and/or experiences on extended warranties pro or con. Thanks.
That is well over $200 a month for warranty. I probably wouldn't at that price. For me if I was confident the engine/tranny/chassis had been taken care of and the proper maintenance done by previous owner then 88,000 miles really isn't that much.

On the other hand, all the a/c units and other systems in a MADP that could go out and cost you $3,000 to $4,000 a pop. Heck, if you lost the frig and an a/c unit within the 3 year period you could almost break even.

There is a lot of mark up when purchasing extended warranties, or service plans. Are you sure you couldn't get that 3 years for closer to $6,000? Or how about a "coach only" contract for around $4,000 to $4,500?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:47 AM   #9

We have used Wholesale Warranties on the last two coaches. We put in claims on the past coach ('11 Ventana) and never had any issues with them paying. So far we haven't had anything on this coach to turn in yet but I feel assured that they will be as great as they were before. That policy that you have been quoted seems to be very high priced. I would certainly shop around. As per motor and transmission I would ask questions as to what they expect from you if there is a claim, as in maintenance schedule and records. Wholesale Warranties has been great for us.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm totally against the service policies but, in four years I've spent $53,000 in engine repairs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
In 2017, we bought our current coach and purchased a 3 year warranty with it. Cost me $6300 Canadian with a $150 deductible. I knew what was excluded and what wasn't etc. In the past two years, I've had a few minor things repaired and the Dash A/C repaired. The dash A/C would have cost me $1600 but only cost me the deductible plus about another $100 because they don't cover things like "shop supplies" etc. The big one for me, was I had the ECU die on me while we were on a trip. Had it towed to a Cummins facility and after all was said and done the bill was $5300 Canadian....I paid $350(deductible plus shop supplies and other odds and ends like an engine steam clean) Right now I'm sitting at break even. The ECU repair would have really hurt if I hadn't had the warranty. My warranty company is pretty good. I don't have to fight too hard for them to cover stuff that is in the contract. I have one year left and my motorhome only has 12000 miles on it(had 8900 when we bought it). I'm hoping nothing else goes wrong but if it does, I hope it happens this year!!! I'm worried about the EGR valve which I've heard can cost north of $2000 to repair.

In the end, I'm glad I bought the warranty and would probably buy it again. We bought a warranty on our first motorhome and never used it. When we bought the current motorhome, the warranty company gave us a huge credit because we never used the warranty on the first motorhome. But you have to know what they do and don't cover. That's super important.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'm totally against the service policies but, in four years I've spent $53,000 in engine repairs.
Wow...I have read about your engine troubles in the Cummins forum. That is truly unfortunate. I'm not questioning your reasons, I'm just wondering why you didn't sell it after you had it rebuilt the first time and avoided a second rebuild?
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ESP

IMHO you need to weigh the security you will feel with the right ESP. I bought our 2007 DP 5/18 and purchased a 1 year ESP from Compass through my dealer. It more than paid for itself as the inverter shorted out and burned out wiring then my turbo froze up. I more than got my money back. In fact, I purchased a new 2 year plan with them in May 2019 since I haven't had the opportunity to travel as much as we had planned. Glad I did as the AC side of my fridge quit last week. Had a brown spot on the power board and low AC thru fuse PLUS 2 of my HWH jacks had to be manually retracted with a 4"x4". Will be picking it up tomorrow with $100.00 out of pocket instead of over a Grand.
My ESP has a listing of items not covered such as interior furniture, carpet, etc. BUT all the main parts of my DP are covered. At 13 years old I was thankful they sold me the policy and if i have no more claims thru the period I'll still come out ahead because of the security it provides.

8 Grand seems a little high but consider the cost of replacing or repairing the fridge, A/C, furnace, etc.

Don't let any of us spend your money for you. Research and do what makes you comfortable. The only person you have to satisfy is yourself and wife.

Drive safe and enjoy that new toy - Richard

Tags
advice