Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #1

Need electric outlet help :: 2018 Dutch Star

So we pulled in around 5:30 this afternoon to a campground in the Campton, NH area at one of the few campgrounds still open up here.

Anyways, after getting stuck in the mud, abandoning our campsite and parking on a road next to a 50amp box that isn’t working, i discovered the two gfi outlets in the half bath in the electric closet are not working as well as my cooktop and the dish washer. I have checked the gfi outlet the cooktop is plugged into, all the breakers in the bathroom and any other gfi’s I can see. Still no luck...

What am I missing???
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Does that mean you're running off the generator, or found another outlet. If generator, check circuit breaker on front of generator.

Other ideas....half of your 50 amp plug or pedestal is not working. Is there a 30 amp plug you can dog bone down to and try.

Did you actually flip each circuit breaker....one can be tripped and look like it's okay.

Sorry...just spit balling here.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #3

there are two GFI outlets under the cabinets in the kitchen, over the counter...check those....

if the GFI breakers on the outlets won't re-set, then there is no power to the outlet...is the inverter on ? that supplies power to them when the genset is off and you are not plugged in....

but yeah, if you're on the genset, what don said....the main breaker on the genset itself...
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #4

Need electric outlet help :: 2018 Dutch Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Does that mean you're running off the generator, or found another outlet. If generator, check circuit breaker on front of generator.

We will be using the genny tonight. Everything is currently running off the batteries until the genny kicks in.

As of right now, the genny is off and the only things not working are the cooktop and dishwasher...

I went thru the whole breaker panel and manually switched them off and on again. I have checked the gfi under the upper kitchen cabinets as well as the actual cooktop one and the two inside the bathroom electric closet. Nothing.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
We will be using the genny tonight. Everything is currently running off the batteries until the genny kicks in.

As of right now, the genny is off and the only things not working are the cooktop and dishwasher...
then that clears it up....the bathroom GFI's are not powered by the inverter, now that i think about it....and neither is the dishwaher, the cooktop, the washer/dryer, or the AC/heat pump units....

when you turn on the genny, all GFI's that are not powered will be powered...
Old 10-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post

I went thru the whole breaker panel and manually switched them off and on again. I have checked the gfi under the upper kitchen cabinets as well as the actual cooktop one and the two inside the bathroom electric closet. Nothing.
the entire 120V breaker panel is dead without shore power or genset power input
Old 10-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
the entire 120V breaker panel is dead without shore power or genset power input

Yep! That’s it. Fired up genny and everything is working again...

Learned something new.

I love iRV2!!! So many great people working together. It’s been one of those days.... thanks so much everyone!!!

I’ll take some pics of the mess I was in tmrw.... for now, it’s kids to bed and then bed myself...
Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my 2017 all electric Dutch Star the breakers in the bottom of the panel are powered by the inverter and the breakers on the top are powered by shore power or generator. There is a bypass in the inverter that powers the bottom breakers when on shore power or generator.

My cooktop does not work off the inverter, along with everything else that willipaul mentions.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you got it working...
Old 10-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Glad you got it working...

So am I!! Thx so much!!

The electrical panel is split, indicated by the numbers. Top numbers are run by genset or shore power as mentioned and bottom numbers are run off the batteries. I just never noticed it before. Again, learned something new today!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8822.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	222318
Old 10-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #11

An easy mod would be to use a hilighter pen to show which breaker is invertor activated.

Tags
dutch star, electric