Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #1

Need help deciding: 2015 or 2016 Ventana

We are buying a model 3436 Ventana. We just found a like new 2015 stored indoors, in colors we like, and with only 5,000 miles. We are going to see it this week. Before we buy a 2015 which was the last year of the old front/rear caps, we want to check out a 2016 model. Besides the caps, we know the 2016 has taller trunks and the STAR chassis. Not sure what else changed. Are there other meaningful changes? Is it worth waiting to find/buy a 2016 model?
Any feedback on function or value between the model years is appreciated.
tnjmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar has the brochures on their site. Check them against each other and see what some of the differences are.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
You may also check on comfort steer and steerable tag axle.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:59 AM   #4

Ventana

Tnjmich, It sounds as though you are still in the shopping mode. If so check out my add in the classifieds, 2014 Ventana.
If I were trading in, or simply purchasing... I would like to have the following. More floor, steerable tag, and frameless windows. Those items are upgrades since my model year that I would appreciate.
What I really like about my coach... the residential fridge, basement freezer, televator, outedoor tv, keyless entry and power basement locks.
The quality and fit of all furnishings, ease of driveability, towing capacity, all make the ventana a great coach.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The OP wanted a 3436 Ventana...

Tag axles are on the 40' & 43' Ventana

"More Floor" was a 2016 addition on the Dutch Star level and higher...

Rear bath models started getting an escape door in 2016...but I think that's only on the longer coaches as well.

I think differences on a 3436 betweeen those two year models is going to be pretty subtle. Sink fixtures, lighting, interior appointments.

If it's solar prepped...it seems that Newmar changed how they run the wire from the roof to the basement. My 2016 came with a red and black 6AWG wire that terminates under a metal plate on the roof...and terminates in the bay just aft of the house battery compartment...and includes a network cable that goes from the front cabinet over the passenger seat (control center) to the same compartment aft of the battery compartment.

The dash instrument layout is a bit different..and the 2016 has a QI charger for your cellphone.

I think if you are comparing two coaches...I would look for the options that are installed that would be benificial to your particular needs.

If you camp with pets, or go to parks with 30A hookups... Do you boondock?

Here is a short list of options to compare...

Battery Bank AH storage,
Residential vs Dometic type fridge,
Propane vs Induction cooktop
Propane Oven vs Convection Microwave
Gravity or macerator toilets
Washer and Dryer
Precision Circuits Power Control System
Auto Gen Start
Solar Prep
Window awnings
Propane Furnace/Hot Water vs Oasis Hydronic System.

If you're purchasing a coach that is already built...these are some of the things I would be comparing. The options can make a bigger difference in value to you than a year model moniker.

We love our 2016 Ventana...but I will admit, I suffer from a heaping dose of dumb luck in choosing the options we did. Now that I understand how it all works...I realize how lucky we were in our choices.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
The OP wanted a 3436 Ventana...

If you camp with pets, or go to parks with 30A hookups... Do you boondock?

Here is a short list of options to compare...

Battery Bank AH storage,
Residential vs Dometic type fridge,
Propane vs Induction cooktop
Propane Oven vs Convection Microwave
Gravity or macerator toilets
Washer and Dryer
Precision Circuits Power Control System
Auto Gen Start
Solar Prep
Window awnings
Propane Furnace/Hot Water vs Oasis Hydronic System.

If you're purchasing a coach that is already built...these are some of the things I would be comparing.

We love our 2016 Ventana...but I will admit, I suffer from a heaping dose of dumb luck in choosing the options we did. Now that I understand how it all works...I realize how lucky we were in our choices.
C.Martin
Can you elaborate a little more about the options you (luckily) have and why you like them?
We're in the market for a 33-35 ft DP and considering a 2013 Ventana 34 that looks like a layout we like and is reasonably priced (at least on first look)

We are on our 3rd MH - current one is '03 Winnie Adventurer 31Y gasser - It has served us well and like the layout separate shower, booth dinette, queen bed - looking to move up to a DP for driving / riding pleasure.

My impression is that the Cummins 360, Allison 3000 and Freightliner chassis are a good combo.

Any insights / comments appreciated.

Don
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
C.Martin
Can you elaborate a little more about the options you (luckily) have and why you like them?
We're in the market for a 33-35 ft DP and considering a 2013 Ventana 34 that looks like a layout we like and is reasonably priced (at least on first look)

We are on our 3rd MH - current one is '03 Winnie Adventurer 31Y gasser - It has served us well and like the layout separate shower, booth dinette, queen bed - looking to move up to a DP for driving / riding pleasure.

My impression is that the Cummins 360, Allison 3000 and Freightliner chassis are a good combo.

Any insights / comments appreciated.

Don
We were moving from an entry-mid level 5th Wheel. It was a bit overwhelming to see how many options could be added. When we chose the floor plan...we may have made a few comments like - "ah, we really don't need that, or I really don't like that". In the end we fell into a coach that we really didn't fully understand how great is really is until we started using it.

A for instance. Bath and 1/2... seems like a waste. Wow, do we ever like that feature. I balked at the raised platform the toilet in the half-bath was on...thinking a flat floor would look better. Well they do make them with dual macerator toilets. Lucky for us...we have a macerator in the full bath, and a gravity valve toilet in the half-bath. This is so handy when you camp with a partial hook-up, or no hook-up. The macerator has two water use levels. In the normal mode...two people can fill the black tank in just 2 or three days. It does slightly better in water miser mode. We did the Tampa SuperShow with the NKK this year and stuck with the gravity toilet. At the end of the week our black tank was 1/4 full. So, something like that --- it wasn't a stroke of genius on my part. We lucked into having that flexibility.

The AGS is such a great investment. We live in Florida and travel with our pets. Oftentimes we'll go find a local diner, or go out biking or kayaking during the day. Our Sammies are happy taking a nap. But if an electrical outage were to happen...the temperature inside the coach would get pretty hot. Having purchased the AGS...we can set it to respond to the Dometic thermostat. If the thermostat say "Cool" but the shore power is absent...when armed...the AGS will crank up and run the a/c units...once it's cooled down..,the generator will turn off. Earlier revisions of AGS will run for a user set period of time...if the coach is cool, it will shut off, if the coach is still hot...it will run another user set time period. In addition...there are three fantastic fans with thermostat control. You could set them to ventilate the coach if a certain temp is reached. Unless they've added it. The coaches above the Ventana level loose this feature because of a different control pad. Lucky me again.

We opted for the fiberglass roof. It just made installing solar a breeze. I used the VHB tape mounts. The higher level coaches have the beautiful surround on the roof...and Girard awnings. They hide the A/c units from view. I admit...the look is astounding, the awnings are gorgeous. They also cast a lot of shadows on your solar panels and make it harder to find shade free real estate up there. So, there is a trade off.

We like having a washer and dryer.
We actually like the opposing couches that convert to sleeping arrangements.
We actually like the all-electric option with residential fridge and Oasis system.
We like the entertainment system.
We like the two bathroom arrangement.
I like the towing capacity.
You can always use more storage, but we went with only one slide tray, in the pass thru compartment, and no tray in the half bay. Glad we did...our folding bikes wouldn't have had enough clearance with a tray in that bay.
Hose reel, and power cord reel...what a difference that makes. Wow.
Remote power locks...makes it so easy to load, or service the coach...enter my pin a click. Open. Saves a lot of fumbling with keys.
Actually, with tile floors,,,that Dirt Devil central vac is very nice. Just sweep into the kick plate and dirt is gone!

We thought some of this was unnecessary...and other things we thought we might like. But, as it turns out, everything works together and we are really really happy with this coach.

Oh, and before getting off the highway on a 177 mile journey...I was reading 9.2 mpg going 62 mph, pulling a Jeep Wrangler 4-dr. I don't know how accurate it is...but I have no reason to doubt it. I would have spent almost the same driving two keeps as I would the Jeep and the Motorhome. Not bad. So, the Cummins 8.9L 400hp ISL with Allison Transmission does pretty darned well. I lucked into that as well.

Each person will have a different list of happy things, and they will use thier coaches to do different things. I just hope whatever floor plan and options you choose...will may you as happy as we are with ours.

Tags
need help, vent, ventana