RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Need Help. No brake lights. Mom needs to get away.

Trying to get my wife out of town just after her mother passed to get a break. We have a Jeep Wrangler toad all geared up and ready to go, but have never pulled a toad behind this motorhome. Plugged the toad in and everything worked but the break lights. Decided to run a new wire to tap into the break lights. Bad decision.

Everything worked fine for a while, but eventually popped a fuse in the chassis compartment. Replaced the fuse, but no break lights at all now. Something is not sending power back to the lights, so no trip for mama.

It is a 2006 Spartan Mountain Master DP Chassis. Can anyone offer any troubleshooting advice?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #2

There is an in line fuse on chassis batteries that can cause your toad lights to not work on that chassis. I used to have a 40’ MADP same year. Check that.

Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok. I will check, but the chassis brake lights will not come one.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You are awesome! Two blown 15 amp fuses in the battery compartment. Brake lights are back on line. Now if I can just figure out (and reinstall this 7 pin trailer plug).
Old 04-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ColoradoBnd-

This link is for a wiring diagram set for a 2006 Mountain Aire with a 2005 harness. Some places to start will be on pages 68, 69, 81, 82 and 84 (these are PDF page numbers, not drawing sheet numbers).

A rush is no time to figure out wiring issues for the first time. Perhaps you can drive the Jeep separately to the destination, and troubleshoot later.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What I still don't understand from the diagrams that someone may be able to help on is how does the combination stop/turn lamp work when you want to convert to just a single 12v brake signal to the toad over a 4 wire setup?

Basically for the 4 wire toad setup I will have a:
- left turn signal
- right turn signal
- brake light signal
- ground
Old 04-20-2019, 07:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For a four wire setup, you should have ground, taillights (for night driving), left brake/turn, and right brake/turn.
——- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
For a four wire setup, you should have ground, taillights (for night driving), left brake/turn, and right brake/turn.
——- Jim
Correct. The coach should be wired so that the "standard" trailer signals, as listed above, appear at the correct pins. Then, the umbilical should be wired to deliver the signals to the correct pins on the toad connector.

Here is the reference I use to remind myself of the standards:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Page 84 of the diagram set to which I linked in post #5 indicates that your coach should be wired to supply left turn/stop and right turn/stop signals at the motorhome hitch connector, per the standard. You can test this with a voltmeter applied to the correct pins on the connector (you will need an assistant to test the brake function). If your coach does not output a combined turn/stop on the standard pins, then you will want to modify the wiring on the coach to make it standard.

By the way, we're assuming the Jeep is wired per the standard, too. This may not be a correct assumption.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We were able to get things working, but not perfect. We have both turn signals and the brake lights working. Running lights not working. I had a really smart auto technician working with me. The stop/turn signals would not activate the breaks on the toad. He said it was because of how the brake and turn signals are wired on the coach. All together and then relayed after the splice.

Another interesting thing that happened was the brake light on the toad were not bright until we cleaned up the chassis battery terminals. We could not get a ground on the metal framework around the cummins. Very strange!
Old 04-29-2019, 06:12 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just in case this helps someone in the future. I had to purchase a brake light adapter to make my lights work due to separate brake and signal lights. This is the one I purchased. All good now!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
brake, brake lights, light, lights, need help