Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #15

Peter,
With regard to the MSW inverter, it was equipped that way at the factory by Newmar, and seems to work fine. Samsung claims that it is fine, the microwave is fine, my Sanyo TV works with it, and I have no reason to distrust it.

It was good all this year, so I have no reason to change. If the Xantrex goes out I probably will spring for the PSW, but not until necessary.

Tom

TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Old wives' tales die hard. Our coach came with a MAGNUM 2000 msw inverter when new, that ran everything (except the A/c's). Now it even runs the Whirlpool and the new LCD TV's. The coach is going on 10yrs. The Whirlpool 2yrs and 17000 mi.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #17

Wow $750 for the coil!! I didn't even contemplate replacing my Dometic in our 2000DSDP, I put in a Whirlpool(Less than $750) and now wonder what took me so long.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
Peter,
With regard to the MSW inverter, it was equipped that way at the factory by Newmar, and seems to work fine. Samsung claims that it is fine, the microwave is fine, my Sanyo TV works with it, and I have no reason to distrust it.

It was good all this year, so I have no reason to change. If the Xantrex goes out I probably will spring for the PSW, but not until necessary.

Tom
Sorry Tom, I didn't mean to scare you in regards to using a MSW inverter. They will work fine on some appliances. I'm just stating what I have seen in the past and what is stated in many sources. Google it and you will better understand what I'm refering to. I had microwaves, two different coaches, grow louder over time when operating on the inverter. After a time the microwave on house current does not swork as efficiently.

My Essex came with a MSW inverter. After board issues on some refrig's and micowaves, Newmar replaced many with TSW units at no charge, including mine, and switched all new units to TSW. I think that was in'07 or '08.

So............Believe me, this is not an old wives tale.

Peter
Old 12-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #19

Be4 you start looking for a Samsung 197, they are discontinued. Replaced by the Samsung RF18, about 1 inch taller as the control board is in a plastic case on the top of the fridge. Available in Black, white, Stainless or Platinum Stainless. The RF18 has a better/different cooling unit, it is twin (ref and freezer separate) and the motor does not kick the current on start up as it runs variable speed depending on cooling requirements...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #20

$750 is a little excessive for a fridge rebuild. I have a shop close by, and RV refrigeration is their only business. They receive units every day by freightlines.

I understand RV fridges are only good for about 10 years. The coils sweat, however drainage of the water is about nil. That's why they deteriorate. But new RV refrigerators are extemely expensive--even small ones.

If you look around, you may find a RV refrigerator repair for a reasonable price. You can also find them on the internet.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
Thanks a lot you guys. I think I'm going to replace the frig. Now I have to figure out if its worth spending more money and get a Residential or RV frig. Thanks for all your help. I'm going to scrap the idea of just replacing the cooling unit.
Probably your best bet.

However, since your current fridge (an 8 cu ft RM2652) is only about 54 1/2" tall & 25" wide, you don't have many residential fridge replacement options. Check out Appliances Connection for your options.

I suppose you could do some cabinet work and create a bigger fridge space, but that's time & money, especially if you don't do it yourself. Also, if you do get a residential fridge, who's getting it into the RV and installing it?

I'd go with a new RM2652 which can be had for under $1000. Of course, your old fridge will have to be removed and the new one installed.

Your old RM2652 lasted almost 15 years. I'd expect a new one to last just as long.

Those of us who have switched to residential fridges (like me) can only hope our residentials will last that long.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:31 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Absolutely agree!

I am with Tigerfan1 100%. Did it myself (with help lifting old frig out and new in. Read the blogs for hints on making the job easier and better. The rewards are plentiful.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here are some conversions for either way you may want to go.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks a lot 007
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #25

On a hot summer day, I came in from the campground pool to find that my ol' Northcold absorption fridge (15 years) had recently given-up , almost certainly while I was swimming or sun tanning. Much grieving, in-depth reflecting and useless imploring , avail me nothing. So I decided to by a new one .

My decision was concluded on the assumption that even if the old refrigerator’s coil would have been refurbished, sure enough, with my luck… , one or the two electronic boards (which cost zillions…) would have failed the day after. A budgetary heartbreak that would perhaps compel me to jump in the deep end…
Ulysse49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ANother epensive option, but better if you boondock, is the high effiency dual voltage (not dual fuel) Dometic and Norcold units,, Alas only a couple sizes but these are designed for RV use, run on 12 volt or 120 volt, suck a great whomping 30-50 watts (That puts 'em in the same power range as a pair of 1141 light bubs)

Tags
refrigerator