Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #1

Need some generator advice

I have a 12,500 Onan diesel generator and it runs fine while driving down the road but after stopping last night for the night it died 15 minutes after being parked and today I just drove 6 hours runs fine parked and about 15 minutes later same thing you can restart it but runs for a few seconds and shuts off. Any ideas ??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #2

low oil shutdown is possible.....parked the oil level sensor is not making contact with oil but moving it is ? it's just a guess....

the start up and stop after a few minutes thing, on a gas genny at least, is indicative of a failing fuel pump...but moving or not moving should not matter with that....i should think, anyways.....unless it's a fuel tank venting issue...the movement of the fuel while in motion is providing a better venting for the tank...again, another guess...

i would do the obvious first...check fluids and filters....you keep up proper service intervals, i imagine ?

willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-JUNELL View Post
I have a 12,500 Onan diesel generator and it runs fine while driving down the road but after stopping last night for the night it died 15 minutes after being parked and today I just drove 6 hours runs fine parked and about 15 minutes later same thing you can restart it but runs for a few seconds and shuts off. Any ideas ??
What was your fuel level when you stopped for the night? 1/4 tank and you are done.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a wild hair first guess. Overheating . Running down the road the front mounted genny gets plenty of cooling air . When stationary not so much . Obvious first check, which I'll bet you have done , is to check water levels and debris in radiator. One poster recently found a plastic bag in the genny air intake . Overheating shutdown sensor could be malfunctioning .
Old 09-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #5

I suspect low diesel fuel level in the tank is your culprit- moving it sloshing around so the diesel pickup tube can suck some up. Sitting still it's dropping below the pickup tube.

Fill it with diesel & see if it happens again?

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
fuel Venting x2
Pa Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Steve, have you tried to get the codes? The on/off switch should flash a code when it shuts off without command.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #8

I'm at 3/4 of a tank right now was lower when I left earlier and was running fine. I just did a full service on it air fuel and oil a few weeks ago before my last trip I pulled the codes and it's a fault code 36 all fluids look good for kicks I tried restarting the coach and it's not staying running now I'm wandering if the fuel pump is getting hot and shutting down when it's parked
Old 09-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE-JUNELL View Post
I'm at 3/4 of a tank right now was lower when I left earlier and was running fine. I just did a full service on it air fuel and oil a few weeks ago before my last trip I pulled the codes and it's a fault code 36 all fluids look good for kicks I tried restarting the coach and it's not staying running now I'm wandering if the fuel pump is getting hot and shutting down when it's parked
for kicks, remove one or both of the fuel fill caps when you are parked....see if it stays running.....i think the fuel pump is dying and will need to be replaced....not overheating....doesn't have enough power to overcome the vacuum in the tank through the vents...
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
for kicks, remove one or both of the fuel fill caps when you are parked....see if it stays running.....i think the fuel pump is dying and will need to be replaced....not overheating....doesn't have enough power to overcome the vacuum in the tank through the vents...
x2 and the vac line could be stopped up. Unscrew the vac line from tank the float could be sticking shut after you turn M/h engine off mine was..
Old 09-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #11

Where is the fuel tank vent?

I have an Onan 10K that is shutting down randomly. It does not seem to be related to parked or moving. I took it to Tropical Generator in Fort Myers. They charged me $1,200 to remove the gen set and diagnose/fix the problem. They found that the coupling between the fan drive and the fan was bad. While they had the gen set out, they did an oil change and replaced the air and fuel filters.

Once they got the generator back into the motorhome, we ran it for a bit and all seemed well..... A few months later, we left Florida and headed to Maine, the problem is the still there.

I too get the 36 code. I tried removing the fuel caps, disconnecting the coach control electrical connection and running it with the gen set tray out. I have a fuel pump for it and will replace it next. I may also replace the fuel lines while I am under there.

Good luck with your generator, keep us posted.

John
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
There should be about five lines coming out of your fuel tank , One of those has a line that just runs to the bottom of your Rv thats the vent line . Take the hose off then unsrew the fiting from the tank There is a float valve attached to it it could be stuck and check that hose for dirt dauber nest..
Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
x2 on overheating. I have the same unit, and I had the same issue. Turned out to be a lose fan belt. It requires the removal of the top and PS covers, which at that point you might as well just change the belt. Once I tightened the belt, I had a noticeable increase in air flow that could be felt in front of and to the sides of the motorhome at ground level. I completed the entire repair in a Home Depot parking lot in about 50 minutes. Always a good idea to have a spare fan belt anyway. A good cleaning of the radiator is in order as well.
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
I had problems with our generator at one point in time. Downloaded the manuals and went through the troubleshooting section and resolved the problem pretty quickly. Turned out to be a $32.00 transformer. My issue was that it would start and run only for a few seconds. The price for the repair and service manuals was money well spent.

FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, generator