Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi

I am going to install an Ultra TRIK-L-START™ on my 2003 Scottsdale. Offhand does anyone know where they installed the battery Isolator relay on this model? When I cycle the switch on the Isolator I hear the contactor picking up and dropping out. I am by myself so I can't get under the hood and see where it is exactly. I think it is on the driver's side on the engine side of the firewall.

If this puppy woks half as good as the Toad Charger I won't have to worry about a dead engine battery again!

Also, anybody else using one of these? here is the URL to see what I'm Talking about:

www.lslproducts.com

Thanks (as always)

Dave

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi

I am going to install an Ultra TRIK-L-START™ on my 2003 Scottsdale. Offhand does anyone know where they installed the battery Isolator relay on this model? When I cycle the switch on the Isolator I hear the contactor picking up and dropping out. I am by myself so I can't get under the hood and see where it is exactly. I think it is on the driver's side on the engine side of the firewall.

If this puppy woks half as good as the Toad Charger I won't have to worry about a dead engine battery again!

Also, anybody else using one of these? here is the URL to see what I'm Talking about:

www.lslproducts.com

Thanks (as always)

Dave

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
Old 08-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Dave, couple of questions do you have your coach plugin at home and don't you have a solar panel for chassis battery?
I have two isolators side by side in a clear faced plastic covered box to the right of fire wall. Not sure they are identified.
If you are going to draw 12v's from house batteries for trickle charge of chassis battery whats going to keep house batteries from going flat. If they do your Gen will not start..
I have only had the 5w panel on 4 coachs I have had and never a dead chassis battery.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
cwg

It is a great product and there are many references and threads to the Trick-L-start in the archives. It has been a life saver on many of the 2004-2005 Winnebago pushers to the point that the factory started incorporating into their OEM. Now many charger/invertors go ahead and charge the engine batteries as well as the coach batteries. Freightliner had a serious lapse in design for a while.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Hi Dave, couple of questions do you have your coach plugin at home and don't you have a solar panel for chassis battery?
I have two isolators side by side in a clear faced plastic covered box to the right of fire wall. Not sure they are identified.
If you are going to draw 12v's from house batteries for trickle charge of chassis battery whats going to keep house batteries from going flat. If they do your Gen will not start..
I have only had the 5w panel on 4 coachs I have had and never a dead chassis battery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I can't store my rig at my present home and I have no shore power in the storage yard. I do have a solar panel for the house batteries. This little gizmo trickle charges the Engine start battery from the House/solar charge circuit. I used a similar charger for the batteries on the committee boat at the boat club for years.

The "charger" (charge controller) hooks across the isolator contactor and lets a charge go thru to the engine batteries when the house/solar power is high enough, otherwise, it doesn't pass power.

I will have to see if I can get my budy to give me a hand finding the isolator contactor and tracing out the wires. It almost has to be up in the front near to the plastic covered circuitry.

When I "get 'er done" I'll try to remember to post some pics.

Thanks! Cheers,

Old 08-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good Dave go for it.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
why do you need isolater location. It installs directly from batt to batt and a ground..
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
why do you need isolater location. It installs directly from batt to batt and a ground.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because the isolator switch is "pre-wired" with both battery positive wires in very close proximity. Thus, I don't have to run a wire from one to the other.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You are wiring off the hot side of isolator and not battery cut switch side of that switch for house batteries.