Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #1

Need to identify Fan-tastic vent model

The Fan-Tastic fans on my 2001 MA need parts. One lift motor is missing and the other has stripped splines. One fan is broken. I can't find any reference to the model vent in my owner's documentation. The search on this site brings me 112 topics -- roughly 20% of the total. Really? Newmar owners spend 20% of their topics on one brand of ceiling vents? I don't think so . . . . So far none of the 112 topics have anything to do with a fan-tastic fan. It's like the search returns anything with the letter "f" "a" "n" . . . .well, you get it.

So instead of driving myself completely homicidal with the search function, can someone tell me what the model of the vent should be and why I can't match it up visually to anything in the catalogs I find?

Thanks
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #2

Look from the top side...You will find a label with a model number there in one of the corners.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #3

Climb up on the roof with the fan cover open and look at the part number on top of the fan unit.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #4

Hi Rodekyll; Hi here from Auburn. Just for kicks I put a search in asking for parts for older fantastic fans. Took me to an older post by an owner of a 1999 Mountain Air. His model number for the fan was a 6500 series. I then asked for parts for a 6500 series Fantastic Fan and a couple of sources popped up. One had a parts diagram. If you have already been there and found nothing, I apologize in advance. To me it is hard to think that parts for the older fans are still out there as those who have purchased the newer ones since Dometic bought then have nothing good to say about the newer fans. Sorry, that all I know!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:12 PM   #5

Ok -- makes perfect sense to put the model number there when you think about it. What could be easier? I'll go up on the roof. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #6

Thanks, guys. A 2001 MA has a Fantastic 6500.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:11 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
The model / sn will be on a sticker on the main fan motor as seen from the top.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #8

The 6500 is obsolete, of course. Does anyone know if the fan blade units are interchangeable? I got the kitchen fan moving and the blades spun off -- broken hub.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Save yourself some grief; replace the entire unit with a current model. Your fan is approaching 20 years old and everything eventually wears out.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:45 PM   #10

I appreciate the reality check, and that might be what happens. But I've got an unloved bus to renovate, a long and growing list of bugs and meltdowns to address, and more time than money. My first interest in revitalizing a system has got to be evaluating the cost effectiveness of repair v replace. Grief is a secondary consideration. These 6500's were right skookum in their time -- motorized auto-lid, rain sensor, wall control, set temp, etc -- all the modern top-of-the-line bling without the wireless. It would cost over $200 to replace one. And cost even more to "update" with a lift motor, wireless control. So I'd like to investigate the cost of refurbishing the units before I rip them out of the roof. If I can fix this one with a $30 fan, $12 hand crank and $6 lid switch, I get to spend the $150 I saved on a new floor.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
I appreciate the reality check, and that might be what happens. But I've got an unloved bus to renovate, a long and growing list of bugs and meltdowns to address, and more time than money. My first interest in revitalizing a system has got to be evaluating the cost effectiveness of repair v replace. Grief is a secondary consideration. These 6500's were right skookum in their time -- motorized auto-lid, rain sensor, wall control, set temp, etc -- all the modern top-of-the-line bling without the wireless. It would cost over $200 to replace one. And cost even more to "update" with a lift motor, wireless control. So I'd like to investigate the cost of refurbishing the units before I rip them out of the roof. If I can fix this one with a $30 fan, $12 hand crank and $6 lid switch, I get to spend the $150 I saved on a new floor.
Good point! Hope you can find the parts to do just that.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post

Does the fan motor still work? That's the decision point in the whole thing. If you have the black big motors, they last forever according to the FF CS people. Mine are still running no problem.
You should be able to order the lid motors, I just ordered one from Dyers. Part # 90637. I had to modify mine to make sure the gears mated correctly - I cut and glued pieces of wood to the inside of the plastic cover of the lift motor to prop the motor up from the plastic case. I think I made then 1/4" and it grabs like it should. This is the second lift motor I've replace on this fan because the teeth have worn down. I think they will be fine now.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #13

Yes, the motors in both fans work. I got the blade business glued back onto its hub. It's a tall can type motor on a "bow tie." I have both fans operational. That's good since one is in the otherwise airless potty room and the other is above the cooking area.

Both wall controls act like they need a good cleaning -- the rotary pots are sketchy, but regulate fan speed when they've a mind to. Both motors have stripped splines. cheap pot metal . . .

And one lid switch is rusted.

So I'll be looking for one switch and two motors. Thanks for the motor part#.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:07 AM   #14

The plunger type switch that controls the fan motor can be sprayed with electronic cleaner and worked a little to get them to work - should be sprayed anyway. You can also buy the arm and track that lifts the lid. It's where the lift motor mates.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, vent