RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #1

Need to remove outside compartment slide tray

I need to get into the compartment with the smaller slide tray that has the Oasis on the driver's side of it.

Is it very hard to remove that smaller tray to make it easier getting into that compartment? I'm trying to reach the Level Sensor that's inbetween the two rails. I know the mobile tech got into that compartment by crawling over from the larger pass-through compartment but I'm not that agile nor flexible.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #2

Easy Peasy - pull out the half tray and extend the full tray to the drivers side. Then you will have a direct route to the area behind the half tray by crawling into the open area behind the full tray. I have done this twice when servicing the Oasis distribution box. I draped a furniture pad over the slide rails to make it easier to crawl over the rails.

Rex

LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Easy Peasy - pull out the half tray and extend the full tray to the drivers side. Then you will have a direct route to the area behind the half tray by crawling into the open area behind the full tray. I have done this twice when servicing the Oasis distribution box. I draped a furniture pad over the slide rails to make it easier to crawl over the rails.

Rex
Thanks Rex. I know that approach is easy for someone young and flexible but it would be so much easier for me if I could get that half tray completely out of the way.
I have been part way into the area behind the full try, at least enough to see the Level Sensor, but crawling over the rails into that other department is a little out of my reach I'm afraid. If I got in there the wife would probably have to call the fire department to get me back out.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #4

I just installed a half tray in my coach, there are 6 lag screws holding the tray in place.
you have to remove the screws to get the tray out. You have to pull the tray part way out to get to the back screws and then remove the plywood bottom to get to the front screws and the whole tray will come out with the rails. The other way is to remove the stops under the tray on the rails, but that might be harder to get at, if you can at all. The best way to get in there is the way Rex suggested.
Hope this helps
Old 01-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Im guessing that that tray is pretty heavy and awkward.. might be really tuff to deal with.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

Wagonmaster,

I have a bad back and worried about crawling over the slide out rails. Once I got in there I found it fairly easy to move over the rails covered with a furniture pad. And, after inside the small tray area, I could work while laying on my back or side with my legs hanging over the rails.

As I recall, the control box for the leveling system is located on the top of the basement, inside the small tray area, near the middle of the coach. I think you can adjust this control box while staying inside the large tray area. It is located on the fore side of the small tray area.

Rex
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #7

Right now when i go to Auto Level with 2 yellow lights on as soon as the first jacks touch the ground a 3rd yellow light comes on the touch pad and the system completely stops. There are only 2 lights on the Sensor at this time and if I can reach the Level Sensor to unplug it then I should be able to tell if the Sensor is faulty.
I get an occasional cramp in one of my legs and have to get the leg straightened out, so if that would happen while all crunched up in the compartment I'd be in a world of hurt. Also with a replacement hip and two herniated discs in my lower back I don't think things would work out to my advantage back under there.
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:27 PM   #8

Weather warmed up enough today to get a good look at the smaller tray. Understand a previous post about it being a nightmare to remove that tray, as usual the manufacturers never put anything together for the owner. i thought probably just a clip or such to move would allow two people to slide that tray right out. This could have been so simple if some ingenear had used their brain just a little. Guess I am stuck with getting someone to crawl back into those two compartments to reach the Level Sensor plug.

Tags
slide