Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #1

Need to Replace Sleep Number

We have a 60 x 80 sleep number bed in our 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911. I am a full time wheelchair user and do not stand at all, so, we had the entire bed lowered to get it closer to wheelchair height. Unfortunately it is still higher than I would like. I would like it 2 inches lower. We re wanting to replace the mattress with something other than a sleep number since we don't like it anyway. Any suggestions for a lower height mattress that will fold before bringing in the slider?
Meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #2

We had sleep by numbers in the last motorhome. My wife never really liked it, more like disliked it, I guess I can sleep on anything. But for the vacation bed we put up with it for 11 years. The new MH has a real mattress. Locally we have numerous mattress superstores, Sit-N-Sleep, Ortho, Mattress City, etc. All have a large assortment. I'm sure you can find a thinner mattress, like used on a day-bed, but it may not have the support you want. There are also a few custom mattress shops, some advertise regularly in the RV magazines, again, we have one locally that advertises on cable.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
We have a 60 x 80 sleep number bed in our 2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911. I am a full time wheelchair user and do not stand at all, so, we had the entire bed lowered to get it closer to wheelchair height. Unfortunately it is still higher than I would like. I would like it 2 inches lower. We re wanting to replace the mattress with something other than a sleep number since we don't like it anyway. Any suggestions for a lower height mattress that will fold before bringing in the slider?
Get a memory foam mattress. We put one in our last RV. Check camping world or Plushbeds.com they have a variety of sizes and they are only about 6" thick. Very comfy IMO.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
If you need more info you can check the Handicap thread with their forum members in this link.
If you need a Owners Guide for your coach just say the word.
Links below in my signature will have many more for your Newmar , enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball View Post
If a thinner suitable matress is not available perhaps building up the floor a couple inches is an option. Would not be all that difficult to do IMO.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #6

Can you get a duplicate of what you have at home? Thats what we did several years ago with no regrets.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Bed

Do you need a special type of mattress to fold up in preparation for the sliders to come in or can you get any type bed?
Meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #8

I'm also looking for input on a mattress that can "fold" to accommodate the slide-in on a 4313. I'm skeptical the sleep number will work for us. But the bed configuration requires the bed to articulate in order to close the slide.

I'm sure a memory foam will work, but we don't like those either. We like regular mattresses.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Try RV Mattress, Camper Mattress, Trailer Mattress, Custom Mattress, Short Queen Mattress - Comfort Custom Mattresses & Marine Bedding Inc.

They can build you any size and design of mattress you need. An vary size, shape, inside construction- foam, innerspring, etc.- and tailer the firmness to your liking. Will ship to you and no sales tax.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace