Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Need to replace sofa sleeper

Hi again. I bought a used 2016 canyon star. The prior owner did something (doesn't matter) that caused lag bolts on the 88x36 queen flex steel sofa sleeper to come out of the frame, such that when they tried to close the bed, metal got bent and he-man strength was required to close it. It's just not right, and is now not usuable. I have a ratcheting tie down strap in there holding it all together in the stowed position otherwise it would be half stowed half unstowed. The calibrated eyeball of a Newmar employee yesterday said, um, think about replacing the unit.

He you need to remove the unit and ship it to a repair place, where they are going to take it apart, replace all that bent metal, replace the side and front where the lag bolts were pulled out. Ship
it back and reinstall. He said I can probably get a good quality surplus replacement for less.

I'm doing research. How do you remove this unit? Is it bolted in from the basement?

Also, does this fit through the main door?

Any advice from someone with experience replacing the sofa sleeper?

Thanks as always!
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 06:41 AM   #2

We did not need the sleeper sofa so we took it out and replaced with two recliners. (Had the recliners from previous RV, luckily the leather matched) My son and a friend did the work. The sofa had to be taken apart to get out of the coach. It was not an easy project.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #3
dms

Remove the steel angle catch arm above the door. Pad the mirror and fasten the door wide open against the mirror. Remove the step grab handle.

Unbolt the sofa from the floor. Remove the cushions. Slide sofa in, away from the wall. Disassemble the end arms, as well as the front lower panel and back. Then remove each piece out the door.

The frame is the largest piece and will fit through the door.

Remember how it goes back together as you disassemble the unit, as re-assembly is the hardest part.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I appreciate it. Sounds like I'm going to hurt myself somehow doing that. I was hoping I could get it in the door without disassembly. Darn.
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace