Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #1

Red face Needing advice, RV in the cold weather

Hi everyone, We have a 2016 Dutch star. We have been RV'ers for under 2 years. This may sound like a stupid question but here goes. We are taking it across the country(we live in Florida) by way of I40 in November to California to visit a grandchild. The weather will be getting colder as we go, the question is: As long as we are driving or plugged in at stops, we don't need to worry about any freezing up of water pipes and other things or engine problems? I have been told to be sure and put the floor warmers on at night and may not have any problems. I appreciate the advice for us newbies. Obviously, in Florida, we don't worry about any of this. Thanking you all in advance. Sue
suebell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 01:37 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

How is your wet bay heated? If by a furnace, make sure that furnace stays on at a temperature that keeps the wet bay above freezing. I have a couple of wireless remote thermometers, one of which I put in the wet bay to monitor temps there. I also have a couple of drop cords with incandescent bulbs to use if it gets really cold and I think they can add a bit of heat in a space that needs it.

Does your fridge have an icemaker? You may want to shut it off and drain that line. If you have a block heater, make sure it's on when stopping overnight. The engine would probably start without it, but they do make the engine catch more quickly and save the batteries and starter from excessive cranking.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by suebell42 View Post
Hi everyone, We have a 2016 Dutch star. We have been RV'ers for under 2 years. This may sound like a stupid question but here goes. We are taking it across the country(we live in Florida) by way of I40 in November to California to visit a grandchild. The weather will be getting colder as we go, the question is: As long as we are driving or plugged in at stops, we don't need to worry about any freezing up of water pipes and other things or engine problems? I have been told to be sure and put the floor warmers on at night and may not have any problems. I appreciate the advice for us newbies. Obviously, in Florida, we don't worry about any of this. Thanking you all in advance. Sue
Under 40 degrees it is recommended to turn on hydronic heat provided by Oasis. Your wet bay has a register in it for the purpose of warmth. Also should have a switch in bathroom to turn on heating elements on wet tanks. I also put a digital thermometer in wet bay that is read inside coach as just a precaution.

If you are going to be mid-twenties and below, I fill fresh water tank and disconnect from water source. This is not necessary if you have the heated water hose. My way does not cost extra money, only have to turn on water pump at night when it gets the coldest normally. During the day I can go back to normal hookup usually.

Extreme colds you nay have to look at addtional options.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Just out of curiosity, why are you taking I-40 instead of I-10? You can...potentially...hit some snow on the higher elevations along I-40. The southern route via I-10 would avoid most...or all...of the potential snow.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:44 PM   #5

We do have the oasis hydronic heat, we will have to do some reading more about it. It seems to be an amazing piece but somewhat unused with the exception of the water. Haven't needed it so far. Thought this would be the first trip. Thanks for the info. I guess its not an easy thing to understand. The reason we are taking I40, is we are picking it up in Charlotte as we left it in the Newmar place for some more of the never-ending recalls. We were up there for the summer with another new grandchild and ended up leaving it there as we knew we would be up Nov 7 and then carry on with the California trip. We thought about cutting back down for the I10 route, but to be honest, 2 things: I hate that grueling stretch from San Antonio up through to California. Has to be the most boring road ever! Also, with what's going on at the border down there, we kinda wanted to stay clear. I didn't think in Mid November it would be too bad, am I wrong? Thanks Sue
suebell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
We do have the oasis hydronic heat, we will have to do some reading more about it. It seems to be an amazing piece but somewhat unused with the exception of the water. Haven't needed it so far. Thought this would be the first trip. Thanks for the info. I guess its not an easy thing to understand. The reason we are taking I40, is we are picking it up in Charlotte as we left it in the Newmar place for some more of the never-ending recalls. We were up there for the summer with another new grandchild and ended up leaving it there as we knew we would be up Nov 7 and then carry on with the California trip. We thought about cutting back down for the I10 route, but to be honest, 2 things: I hate that grueling stretch from San Antonio up through to California. Has to be the most boring road ever! Also, with what's going on at the border down there, we kinda wanted to stay clear. I didn't think in Mid November it would be too bad, am I wrong? Thanks Sue
Mid November is normally not Bad - just keep an Eye out as if anything happens it is usually gone by noon.

Will you have any time to Explore? Lots to see and do along the way. Arizona and Utah can be Great in November and December.

One really easy but Great side trip might be Canyon de Chelly - Maybe Monument Valley - Page - Eastern entrance to GC - Sedona .........Just a couple of thoughts.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
So, I have nothing for you in regards to freezing pipes, but I'll put my 2 cents worth in regards to I-40. DON'T!

Okay..maybe that's a bit over the top, but I have never seen more trucks on an interstate like I did on I-40 in Arkansas. We were heading west and were only in a car (drove from Florida to Spokane, WA), but wow....soooooooooooooo many semi's.

Anyone else experience that on I-40 in Arkansas?
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
NO issues. We have a 2016 Ventana, live in Mass., and don't winterize and leave full water on board. No issues, ever. It has been -10. We bought a sensor push system and installed sensors in the coach, wet bay and outside. The temperatures show up on their app on my phone so I can tell you anytime, from anywhere, what those temps are. From this process we have learned the impact the furnace temperature setting has on the temperatures in the coach and wet bay. We leave it on 55 until it goes bellow 20, then we go up to 60 and below 10, 68. If it's below zero we put it at 72. We have never had an issue but you need to keep an eye on it in case you have a problem with your Oasis burner. The other thing we manage is diesel fuel. We usually can find a time when there isn't any snow or salt on the roads in Mass. where we can top it off with a quick trip, or if we are snowed in, we bring in 4 5 gallons jugs of diesel at a time and keep adding to it.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #9

In Flagstaff we had a couple inches of snow and night temperatures in the mid 20s two weeks ago but it's sunny and near 60 right now. This time of year you can get any sort of weather on I-40. It will be really nice, unless it isn't...
Old 11-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #10

Sorry I can't help you more on your winter travel just some fact's regarding our travel on I10 & I40. We've driven I10 from Texas to Florida and that's one bad interstate highway. It needs to be ripped up and replaced. Now that was a few years ago maybe it's better now, I hope it really is it was bad back when we traveled on it. We've been on sections of I40 between Oklahoma and Arizona and it was good road. Although quite barren in places. Good luck with your travel.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Not a stupid question at all. We have a 2019 Dutch Star. We just came back to Reno from Atlanta in early October. We had great weather down south and hit rain, snow and cold weather from Cheyenne to Reno. Coach did great with temps that were in the high 20's and low 30's for that part of the trip.

The only area I would be concerned with is the water faucet in the generator bay. Not sure you have it or that it was even an available option in your coach year. The rest of the coach - if you use it normally for the weather conditions you are in - should be fine. In any event, I would be surprised if in mid-November it would be horribly cold on I40, but you never know...

Also, I know you say in a later post that you do not like I10. However, if you watch the weather you can always divert that way in the event a storm or really cold weather is forecast for I40. Because in all reality, I40 from OKC westward isn't much different from I10 scenery wise...

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun!
Old 11-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #12
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Just for reference; 2016 Ventana visiting family in Loveland Colorado at Christmas, -7, no problems. The oasis system has a heat vent into the wet bay. All other pipes are in the insulated floors/walls the the house heat reaches.

Under 40 degrees only the oasis provides heat efficiently so the wet bay should be heated. Of course this applies only to Newmar coaches, which you own. On the DS if you have floor heat, that can keep anything in the floor toasty.

There are several folks in the forum that use their coaches in cold weather. Maybe they will chime in. I only know we have used ours in cold weather quite a bit with no issues.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:02 PM   #13

We spend all winter in Breckenridge. We are getting alot of snow this week. Last year lost power for 10 hours in -20 weather. Nothing froze these coaches are insulated very well. You will be fine on I40 just watch the weather.
bmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj3964 View Post
Not a stupid question at all. We have a 2019 Dutch Star. We just came back to Reno from Atlanta in early October. We had great weather down south and hit rain, snow and cold weather from Cheyenne to Reno. Coach did great with temps that were in the high 20's and low 30's for that part of the trip.

The only area I would be concerned with is the water faucet in the generator bay. Not sure you have it or that it was even an available option in your coach year. The rest of the coach - if you use it normally for the weather conditions you are in - should be fine. In any event, I would be surprised if in mid-November it would be horribly cold on I40, but you never know...

Also, I know you say in a later post that you do not like I10. However, if you watch the weather you can always divert that way in the event a storm or really cold weather is forecast for I40. Because in all reality, I40 from OKC westward isn't much different from I10 scenery wise...

Enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun!

I also have the faucet in the generator bay. Is there a way to winterize/drain that hose while leaving the rest of the water system working? We will be in our 2019 DSDP all winter in Northern Virginia. The rest should be ok, although I will dread filling the fresh tank and draining the black when it is cold out. Will not leave them hooked up.

Tags
advice, cold weather