Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2018, 06:16 AM   #1

Negotiated "extras"

What "little extras" did you negotiate into the deal when you bought your rig?
or what things would you try to get from the dealer if buying new now?
Pikkleballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #2

Slide toppers if not already included and we negotiated (down to almost half of the original price) a seven year extended warranty. Plus, we got the deductible down from $100 to $50.

And we were able to negotiate the trade-in price of our previous fifth wheel by about $3,000.

This was our fourth trailer from the same dealership so they've gotten to know us and we've gotten to know them. Likewise where we buy our cars/trucks - our past seven vehicles have come from the same dealership and same sales guy. That always helps in negotiating whether for an RV or vehicle.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Negotiated "extras"

Ok, here’s our story.

We bought a DSDP back in August (new 2017).

We worked the price pretty hard, rejected all the add-ons (fabric protection, extended warranty, etc.), and got hosed on our trade. But we paid cash, so dealer was making nothing on financing.

So it got down to fuel. This particular dealer had a policy of only giving a buyer half a tank. We have a 100 gallon tank. I wanted that extra fifty gallons.

So I asked for that and the salesman did the shuffle with the sales manager and came back after ten minutes or so and proudly announced they would throw in the extra fifty gallons.

So a week later, we went back for PDI and pickup. Worst PDI you can imagine. Another story for another day. The coach was ok, but the tech they gave us was clueless.

They had our new DS parked next to another new DS (4369) that was being delivered the same day. At the end of the PDI, I checked the fuel and it was only half full. I told the tech our contract called for a full tank and he promised to take care of it.

So we went back to the office and spent an hour with the finance guy, who was also the add-on salesman, working to get him to understand that no means no.

By this time, the place was closing up and we still needed to get our stuff moved from the old coach to the new one. The salesman was still there, and he said “No problem! I had Brandon move your new coach next to your old coach out in the lot and it’s ready for you to move your stuff.”

So we go out there, alone, and I notice right away that somethings not right. The new coach has the right paint job, but it’s three feet too long.

I went back in and told my salesman that if he wanted to sell me a 4369 for the price of a 4018, I was ok with that but we would need to fix the paperwork.

Well, he was a bit embarrassed and quickly got Brandon to switch the two Dutch Stars.

Guess who got the full tank of diesel. Hint - it wasn’t me.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #4

For me, I would want:

• Full tank
  • Good warranty at a fair price
  • NEW batteries (not the ones that were put in the coach by the chassis manufacturer two years ago, and which have not been properly maintained while they sat on the sales lot.
  • Tire date codes less than 1 year old, or NEW tires
  • Extra set of keys (total of 3 complete sets), both ignition and storage keys
  • mounted spare tire
  • set up to tow, with 7 pin toad plug, including a hot "charge" wire to keep toad battery charged.
That's what I can think of just off hand. Happy trails!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote