Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

hello all, i need a lot of help if ya'll can spare some. i would like to buy a newmar i can pay off fairly quickly so the wife and i can get out and do some traveling before her health gets too bad to do so. i have been reading here since 6-2012 and have been actively searching for a good coach for about 6 months. i have found a 1995 MADP in what appears to be excellent shape. keep in mind this coach is in another state and i have not seen it in person and do not have the hundreds of dollars it takes to have one checked every time i think i have found "the one". i called the dealer and told the salesman the coach was listed way over what the actual price guide suggests. that got about 20k knocked off the price and that's about the extent of my negotiating skills. how do i go about negotiating price before i actually have it inspected? I forgot to mention the price is still about 5k over average retail.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #2

There are many variables here. If there RV lot just got a foot of snow you have some more bargaining power. Simply make an offer and stick to it. Also give a timeline for their acceptance. Be prepared to "walk" away.

Example..... let's say the price is at 50 grand ........ tell them the reasons that you are a serious buyer ..... then, I am able and willing to pay you 38,000 for the coach contingent upon a third party inspection ....... I will give you 2 business days to respond yes or no ...... if the answer is no I will pursue some other units that are on my short list ..... I will be waiting for your reply

In short, just take control of the negotiation. All the best to you! (I bought two MHs sight unseen, one was 3000 miles away and the other was 1000 miles away) If it was meant to be it will happen.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my current coach from a distance.

Treated it much like buying a regular house. Had conversations and pictures from the seller to determine if a candidate. Then negotiated the price, contingent upon professional inspections and my inspection and remitted a refundable deposit. Arranged for local to the seller inspections of the vehicle and house systems. I paid for the inspections. After inspection results in hand, determined if wanted to continue with the buy. The seller fixed some items identified during the inspections, and some items caused the purchase price to be renegotiated. Only then did I travel to do my final inspection and was satisfactory so finalized the purchase.

All these steps were documented in a purchase agreement.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I think that 15 to20 year old coaches require a comprensive evaluation..... the book value vs the real value before you can negotate price If you were talking about a 3 or 5 year old unit the book would be a good guideline and that things were as new. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT A 19 YEAR OLD UNIT........It may be a cream puff......or a dead horse.....Take the time to look first then negotate.
grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #5

thanks for everyones input so far.
i'm looking as best i can. all i can do is go by the photos the dealer has. they show a large portion but there is nothing like eyes on. did i mention the coach is in another state?
maneddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #6

I would definently get 3rd party inspector invovled. Call a nearby dealer and talk to the service manager. See if he will recommend one or has a tech that does it part time.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi maneddi,
There is no way to negotiate a price, without a signed sales contract and deposit on the table. I'm on the buying and selling of quite a few different big ticket items. When on the selling side, the buyer must show me, what I have is what they want to buy. A signed sales contract and non-refundable deposit will get a price negotiated and entered into the sales contract.

When on the buying side, I expect the same from the seller. This process protects both buyer and seller.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD
Hi maneddi,
There is no way to negotiate a price, without a signed sales contract and deposit on the table. I'm on the buying and selling of quite a few different big ticket items. When on the selling side, the buyer must show me, what I have is what they want to buy. A signed sales contract and non-refundable deposit will get a price negotiated and entered into the sales contract.

When on the buying side, I expect the same from the seller. This process protects both buyer and seller.
When I bought long distance from a dealer, the deposit was refundable pending PDI. Of course the deal could have gone sideways - but as the dealer told me - I have nothing to gain by going through this process - having you fly out and not be be happy. Passed inspection - deal done as agreed to. YMMV.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
I forgot to mention the price is still about 5k over average retail.
Seems to me you've received some pretty good negotiating advice....but I don't think NADA is going to be of much use in this instance, since a 95 MADP is pretty much without value. If it's in great condition you probably shouldn't pay more than $20k and then still budget for repairs and upgrades...20yr old RVs (IMO) are a "project" and will require patience and the ability to do lot's of your own DYI & ($$$).

Good luck...and be sure you get all the fluids (oil, transmission, coolant & fuel) tested...have the Dealer include ( or budget) for a full chassis inspection and service prior to hitting the road (even just to drive home)
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #10

My thoughts exactly. Thanks Jack.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi maneddi,

Hello Gary-I'm in the process of trying to trade up to a new Dutch Star and it looks like it will probably be a long distant deal since I'm not finding any available to purchase or view within a days traveling distance.
Am I understanding your next to last sentence that in order for a price to be negotiated there must be a signed sales contract and a non-refundable deposit? My last 4 RV purchases were done in person at the dealership so just like to OP this long distant dealing will be all new to me.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2
Hello Gary-Am I understanding your next to last sentence that in order for a price to be negotiated there must be a signed sales contract and a non-refundable deposit?
FWIW....I have never heard of signing a sales contract & submitting a non-refundable deposit until ....(1) all due diligence was completed..... (2) conditions and warranties established & .....(3) a final price negotiated and an agreed upon by both parties. WHY would anyone agree to a "non-refundable" deposit prior to having negotiated a mutually acceptable agreement....what happens if you can 't come to acceptable terms....you loose your deposit? This doesn't seem even remotely logical?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
FWIW....I have never heard of signing a sales contract & submitting a non-refundable deposit until ....(1) all due diligence was completed..... (2) conditions and warranties established & .....(3) a final price negotiated and an agreed upon by both parties. WHY would anyone agree to a "non-refundable" deposit prior to having negotiated a mutually acceptable agreement....what happens if you can 't come to acceptableed terms....you loose your deposit? This doesn't seem even remotely logical?
From what I remember from contract law classes, you could write a contract with all of the mentioned terms. I wouldn't sign one. I'd probably run from it.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not only not logical but stupid. if that is the way a dealer does business he doesn't deserve your business. The seller either negotiates to establish a fair sales contract or Walk (NO Make that RUN Away). To have a Non refundable deposit makes one a captive or a victim of someone with questionable ethics. On the written sales contract add any stipulations, like subject to inspection, analysis, etc and final approval by buyer. Be sure to write on the Contract, All Deposits refundable to purchaser within 24 hours of contract termination. don't leave out any wiggle room for the seller to try to keep your deposit. Also I make the minimum dollar amount. Rmember the old saying.. "Buyer Beware" Every dealer I've dealt with has agreed to terms or I walk away. if they have a good MH and have done their inspections they have nothing to fear by agreeing. Safe Travels.... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote