Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 10:33 PM   #1

Nervous Newmar Nubies- ESP??

After over a year of research and procrastination we’ve taken the plunge! We’re picking up our brand new Baystar 3408 on Monday!
We’re definitely excited, anxious, and nervous. After reading so many posts of so many things that can go wrong we are in a quandary about purchasing an after market “warranty” or Extended Service Plan (ESP as Good Sam calls it). Seems like there as many options about them as there are MH owners, but we’re still seeking advice. We are hoping that the Newmar quality would negate the need for an after market warranty, but I’ve learned all too well that Murphy rules. ... any thoughts??
We’ve looked at Good Sams plan and like that it is a monthly payment as opposed to flat out purchase, but it does fall short of other after market warranties we’ve looked at. The most comprehensive plan seems to be the Campers Edge all inclusive one offered thru WarrantTech. Does anyone here have any experience with them?
Thank you for any insights/thoughts, and wish us luck. We’re looking forward to joining you all on the open road.
kdstarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2019, 04:51 AM   #2

First of all, congrats on the Baystar! A 3208 was our first class A and we loved it! I did purchase an extended warranty through Cornerstone when we bought the DS. Used it a couple times with no issues. On a new coach, you will find problems crop up as you start to use it. Just deal with them one at a time and soon you'll have a handle on what is fixed and what needs fixing. It's like a marriage. You will need to learn what the coach likes, and maintain it.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:52 AM   #3

ESP are not a good use of your money.

You made an excellent choice of coach brands, Newmar is known for covering defects beyond their stated warranty period. I have experienced it myself.

We’ve purchased two from them with no extended service contract and no regrets. Might buy more if W doesn’t ruin them.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:58 AM   #4

You have a full year of factory warranty. Use that for now and continue to research extended plans if you feel you need one. If you finance an extended warranty, that's just more interest down the drain. My advice is to bank that same amount and use it when and IF necessary.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:35 AM   #5

Our dealer (North Trail) had an ESP that could be tailored to cover just the coach and not the chassis, engine, and transmission. With the long warranty that comes with our Cummins we just wanted a little cushion to get us to the 5 year mark. It fit the bill for under $2,000.

Even though the first year was more or less a waste due to being covered under the factory warranty, it still broke down to only $500 a year, or under $42.00 a month if you financed it. I wouldn't finance an ESP because that really makes them expensive.

For us a "coach only" ESP was worth looking at. Heck, within my first 5 years if I have to get an a/c unit replaced and a Oasis pump I'll recover all my initial funds.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #6

I had never bought an extended service plan for anything in the past... when we bought our then new Dutch Star, they offered us one and I declined.

After having many,many issues during the 1 year Newmar warranty period, I purchased an extended service plan from Coach Net just prior to the expiration of the Newmar warranty. Because the coach was under 1 year old, they charged the same amt as if it was new.

That purchase has paid for itself plus and I still have a couple years to go. 2 Roof AC units, 3 slide out motors/gearboxes, new washing machine, new in dash stereo/gps, replacement Oasis control board. broken welds on slide out stop brackets, dash AC not working, and many other items all fixed under the ESP with no pushback at all.

Recently discovered a fogged dual pane window in the front door. That will be repaired under the ESP when we return from this trip.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Extended warranty are insurance policies that are based on a amount that MOST people will never exceed. They are a for profit business and do make money. You notice I say most people will never have claims that exceed what they paid for the policy. There are some that have stories of hight dollar repairs but I’m one of those that are in the majority that haven't used enough to exceed the cost of the warranty. I do have a quite large repair fund that will equal cost the rebuild of diesel engine in a DP that I have never used and hopefully will still be in the bank when I stop RVing. Just my 2 cents worth.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
I worked for a big box store that used warrantech as their warranty company for electronics and appliances. If its the same company the “word on the street” was they are currently upside down and not long for living. Do a lot of research on any of these types of companies as they are known to be insolvent quickly and if they hit bankruptcy you are screwed as a customer. Good Sam’s may not have all the bells and whistles but I would bet they have strong financials.
Kountry 2SUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #9

We are currently on our 3rd coach since 2001. None of which have I purchased an extended service policy. We are way ahead money wise having not purchased one. While i know I could face an expensive repair at some point, I am not inclined to purchase one at this point.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #10

My opinion...

Take the monthly dollar the ESP would cost you and put it in a money market. Deposit each month and let it grow. If something breaks, it's your repair fund. If you don't need it, it becomes down payment on your next rig. Point being, it remains your money and you will always use it. The statistics on ESPs are incredibly low usage for the majority of buyers, which means profit to the camp any that sold it.

Also, many folks like to raise the concern over appliance replacements. That's fair, but also know you can generally get a longer term warranty on most RV appliances from the manufacturer for way less money than you will ever wrap into an ESP.
geotexZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #11

Truly nobody can answer this question for you. It’s a matter of individual risk tolerance and financial reserves. The warranty companies make lots of money on these plans so obviously lots of people are paying more than they are getting back. It’s like life insurance - unless you die it’s all wasted money! BUT if you are not especially “handy” and if you happen to have a major failure you might be glad to have the coverage. I didn’t purchase coverage for my first three coaches but had two slide repairs on my third coach that cost $1400 to repair. I’m still well ahead of the game but it sure would have been handy to have when that repair came up! DW pretty much insisted on the newest coach - the Newmar - so now I have one. Do know that the price is entirely negotiable and you are in a very strong position when you are buying the coach. I got my coverage for less than half of the list price. Also know that there are many exclusions and rules. Especially that EVERY claim must be preapproved. And know that many repair shops hate dealing with these companies and will tell you that you can apply for reimbursement after the repair. Often you cannot. For lots of people a service plan offers real piece of mind and it’s hard to put a value on that. Do enjoy your new coach!!
Old 12-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Concur with PetesMH, you need to assess the risk of not having a warranty. If you are a previous RV owner and are very handy, you may be able to handle most repairs, but things like slideouts, AC units and generators may be too much to handle. I went with an ESP and don't regret it.
jl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing nobody mentions in these threads is the hassle and frustration of having to get every repair approved in advance. And, if your request is turned down initially or not completely you or your repair facility has to beg, cajole and or fight to get them to reconsider. When we’re on he road and have a problem (only happened once in two years) I want the freedom to figure things out for myself not let the process get bogged down in discussions with some breakdow insurance company.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdstarman View Post
After over a year of research and procrastination we’ve taken the plunge! We’re picking up our brand new Baystar 3408 on Monday!
We’re definitely excited, anxious, and nervous. After reading so many posts of so many things that can go wrong we are in a quandary about purchasing an after market “warranty” or Extended Service Plan (ESP as Good Sam calls it). Seems like there as many options about them as there are MH owners, but we’re still seeking advice. We are hoping that the Newmar quality would negate the need for an after market warranty, but I’ve learned all too well that Murphy rules. ... any thoughts??
We’ve looked at Good Sams plan and like that it is a monthly payment as opposed to flat out purchase, but it does fall short of other after market warranties we’ve looked at. The most comprehensive plan seems to be the Campers Edge all inclusive one offered thru WarrantTech. Does anyone here have any experience with them?
Thank you for any insights/thoughts, and wish us luck. We’re looking forward to joining you all on the open road.
Caution you can be over insured.

My advice is start a savings account with automatic deposit from your paycheck equal to what you would pay for an ESP starting Day 1

Then you are self insured, the factory warranty will carry you through the first several years of service all the while your self insured bank account is building.

When or if a major failure occurs you will be prepared, if you never use it that is OK, it is still YOUR money and not lost in the bottomless money pit insurance companies are.

Not saying insurance doesn't have it's place, but being proactive can make you rich and prepared for anything.

Tags
newmar