Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #1

I recently had some work done at Leisure Tyme in Mary Ester, FL. They currently have about 7 new 2006 DP's and the Pensacola location has 3 more. They run the range from Kountry Star to Essex.

If I was looking to buy an 08, I got a good idea of what discount % to ask for. But for these 06 models, I don't have a clue.

So, 3 questions:
1. What discount percentage would you expect to get before purchasing.
2. What kind of problems would you expect with a rig that is 2 years old and still new.
3. Should I just forget about them as they would be to big a problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #2

I recently had some work done at Leisure Tyme in Mary Ester, FL. They currently have about 7 new 2006 DP's and the Pensacola location has 3 more. They run the range from Kountry Star to Essex.

If I was looking to buy an 08, I got a good idea of what discount % to ask for. But for these 06 models, I don't have a clue.

So, 3 questions:
1. What discount percentage would you expect to get before purchasing.
2. What kind of problems would you expect with a rig that is 2 years old and still new.
3. Should I just forget about them as they would be to big a problem.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have purchased older new model year coachs and had good luck with them. Just look them over for dry out sealant in seams and window rubber seals.
There was some problems with DP's Cummins engines in that time frame that you may want to check serial numbers against. Spartan Recalls
Some DP owners I'm sure will have more for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I would be looking to buy for the price of a comparable year used coach. The tires and batteries have 2 years of their life gone. It still has a warranty, I think the 06 Newmars have 3 years, a plus. No comfort drive which everyone who owns it says they are a must have. Personally I don't see the fuss about handling, as I don't have a problem with it. But to each his own. Well thats my input.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #5

Since they have been driven and are two years old all of the fluids and filters need to be changed. At least any item that needs service the first two years is either due or over due. Tires that have set on a parking lot two years will have "lot rot" and I would want them changed. I'm sure the batteries, both house and chassis, have not been kept fully charged and we know batteries that have been abused should be replaced. After they replace the fuel filters ask for a free set because two year old diesel fuel will be full of bugs and slime.

As far as the price, that is up to you and the dealer. Find out the trade in value of a similar 2006 Newmar and that is what it will be worth once you drive it off the lot.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The newer the coach the better chance you have for deeper discounts, dealers have less invested in a newer coach that has been on their lot the least amount of time. Its easier on a dealers bottom line to hold a higher price line on an older coach and give away dealer add ons than to deep discount the price.

3 year warranty is worth a lot, that's why it is no longer offered.

Comfort Drive is nice, but test drive a newer coach with it and an older one without, then you will know whether it is a deal breaker or not.

The older the model year coach you decide to buy, the more you should insist on tire, filter and battery change outs. Another thing I would add to that list of things to be changed is interior light bulbs. Nothing more aggravating than changing burned out bulbs after taking ownership of a new coach. The light bulbs that are used in our coaches are expensive to say the least. And as previously stated have dealer certify that all recalls, Newmar up-gradess and/or supplier "campaigns" have been completed.

Also make sure that the dealer has completed all mileage and time related maintenance items. Depending on chassis/engine there are low mileage (1500/5000 miles on some) maintenance items, oil/filter changes every year etc.

Spike
Good luck in your quest!
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:27 AM   #7

Ben,
Comments so far are on target. As you know these coaches have been in close proximity to the salty gulf for some time. The last time I was there I noticed that the 06's had not had the cooling fan upgrade done.

Are you at one of the State parks or Camping on the Gulf?
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The '06 DSDP's have a 1 year warranty.

The advice about batteries, fluids, etc. has merit.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:54 AM   #9

Salt should not be a problem(have been in Florida for 40+ years)!

As you know 25-30% is normal on a '08. Somewhere between 10-15% depreciation per year should be expected. Sooo you are looking at a large discount necessary if you are concerned with price.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #10

The MH's you are looking at are only worth what the dealer can get at auction. If you do some research on auction sites like Manheim, you might be able to find out what there bottom line would be.

Best of luck,
Chris
Old 01-07-2008, 03:43 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Scottsdale,
There is not much to add to the excellent advice already given. For me, I would not trust a dealer to replace fluids, tires or batteries. To keep this simple, I'd pay no more than 55% of sitcker, with the coach as is (fixing simple things). You get a one year warranty. To me, this alows for 5% of the MSRP to replace stuff due to premature wear or neglect. The one year warranty will take care of many of the items.

All this means you would pay about 60% of MSRP and have your own choice of fluids, tires, batteries, etc. Not the dealer's choice. It means you need to be prepared for higher than average time in for service the first year of ownership. After a few months, at trip to Nappannee may be the best choice.

Having the Cummins and Spartan recalls completed by the factory or an authorized service center of your choice will provide additional peace of mind.

Good luck, you have quite a project ahead of you. When completed you'll have an intimate knowledge of your coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:30 AM   #12

When you eventually sell it, depreciation will take its toll regardless of how long the coach has been in service--it's a 2006. Here's a table showing average depreciation on a new motorhome that I picked up somewhere off the Web. I can't vouch for its accuracy but in my experience it's in the ballpark. (This is why we bought a like-new 2003 last year!)

YEAR DEPRECIATION
0 0%
1 18%
2 10%
3 7%
4 6%
5 6%
6 5%
7 5%
8 4%
9 4%
10 3%

2001 Grand Cherokee
ViperDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:23 AM   #13

Good luck on getting any substantial discount. My experience with a north Alabama dealer that had/still has a 2005 Travel Supreme and even lately they still quote the same price I got in 2006. No additional discounts offered. Same sort of thing in Georgia on a 2006 Winnebago. Guess they get so much invested in them they just let them sit hoping for someone who does not know reality.

Just my experience, maybe your mileage will be better.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #14

Thanks guys. This is exactly the type of information that I was looking for.

I will take a ride down there soon and see what kind of deal they can cook up for me.

John, we are at Camping on the Gulf.