Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

New Aire Basement security relay

2018 New Aire
Having an issue with a blown fuse marked basement security relay. Fuse block is in the drivers side bay midships. Appears to control basement led lights. 5 amp fuse. Tried a 7.5 in it and the lights come on but fuse is warm to touch. disconnected all push switches and the 5 amp fuse holds till any one switch is activated then lights come on for a short period and fuse blows. When operating with the 7.5 the exterior led switch at the entry door panel lights and will not turn off. Anyone know where this relay lives and what else it controls.
Thanks
Ojaijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #2

Apparently this is not causing anyone else grief. For info I found the relay stuffed on top of a tank from the passenger side storage bay center of coach. This is the one with the 360 camera hub and awning control boxes. The mess of wires at the top of the bay has a pigtail with the relay on the end and it was pushed back on top of the tank in the middle of the coach and laying loose. Not sure why the fuse is blowing. The relay is working. I am showing 4.6 amps with the basement LED's on so I imagine if any of the switched lights are on it pops the 5 amp fuse. The cargo light switch stays illuminated in both the on and off position so I imagine that is defective.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #3

I would have to call for help. Thanks for posting. Good info.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojaijoe View Post
Apparently this is not causing anyone else grief.
No grief here, but thanks for the info. Good luck getting it resolved!
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #5

Still living with this basement security issue. Wondering what this relay actually controls. I can't find any description in the meager documentation. Have a couple of questions regarding the designed operation for fellow Newaire owners. Do the door plunger switches control the on off of the basement lights. Does this happen only when the Switch at the door is on. Also is there any indication of an open storage bay door on the dash or Silverleaf when getting ready to move. Currently I have removed the fuse from the Basement security relay fuse holder and basement lights work on the rocker switch at the entry door so I am trying to determine what value I am missing with the loss of this circuit. Anyone have any luck with getting electrical schematics from Newmar
Old 01-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Still living with this basement security issue. Wondering what this relay actually controls. I can't find any description in the meager documentation. Have a couple of questions regarding the designed operation for fellow Newaire owners. Do the door plunger switches control the on off of the basement lights. Does this happen only when the Switch at the door is on.
The entry door switch enables the cargo lights to be activated when a single bay door is open. If the entry door switch (labeled cargo light) is off, then the entire basement stays off irrespective of the bay door plunger switches.
Quote:
Also is there any indication of an open storage bay door on the dash or Silverleaf when getting ready to move.

I have noticed occasionally that my basement light was on when all the bay doors were closed. I figured out that one of the plunger switches had been pushed back the switch was accidentally pushed (bent) back by cargo we were sliding in. What I do now to make sure things are working as intended, is I close all bay doors, and then open one door and manually press and release the plunger switch. if the basement lights turn on/off, then I know all the other switches are 'closed'. If the lights don't go off, then I go one by one through the bay doors and check that the switches haven't been accidentally pushed back.

Quote:
Currently I have removed the fuse from the Basement security relay fuse holder and basement lights work on the rocker switch at the entry door so I am trying to determine what value I am missing with the loss of this circuit. Anyone have any luck with getting electrical schematics from Newmar

I don't know what that relay is for specifically...the label is certainly not helpful.
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:52 AM   #7

Check this thread and thanks to Stuart W for the drawing.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2018...-369441-2.html
Attached Images

BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:50 PM   #8

Thank You for the diagram. I was able to run down the problem on my 2018 NewAire with that help. Not sure if this is unique to my build but I can see some hazard in how Newmar wired my coach. The relay controlling the basement lights is powered from fuse F8 (5 amp) in the drivers side midship bay and is marked basement security relay on my coach. This is supplied to the Passenger side bay through a small diameter orange wire and should connect to the relay as the orange wire in Stuart W's diagram. The Brown wire is switched from the entry door and is fused by F9 in the rear closet panel. On my coach Newmar used a crimp connector and joined 12v feed from the front door switch with the Orange 12v feed from the Basement security relay fuse in the drivers side panel along with the bown and the orange wires from the relay.

With the entry door switch on all works well but if a bay door is opened with the entry switch off The lights all run through the 5 amp feed and eventually blow the fuse. I notice from the picture of the crimp connector on Stuart W's post I only see one orange wire in the crimp connector so this second feed must be added to the Newaire. For now I am leaving the fuse out of 5 amp security relay feed and all is working normally. Not sure what value separating the relay feed would give.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9317 (002).jpg.png
Views:	34
Size:	507.3 KB
ID:	272183  

Tags
air