RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #1

New Aire Bedroom Air Conditioning

Hi All! This is our first post to the Newmar owners forum. We are brand new New Aire owners (2018 3343). We've been reading many of the posts about the New Aire and want to thank everyone for the information so far. Will post separately about our dealer experience (bad) and our Newmar experience (better). For now, we're looking for some help/info on the air conditioning, specifically in the bedroom.

We picked up the coach at Newmar yesterday and last night was our first night in the coach (service parking lot). Last night the A/C in the bedroom had a very faint trickle of cold air while the living room area blew cold air strongly, mainly from the middle vent (kitchen area). I thought we had set the two units to run at the same temps on Auto. However, I think what we actually did was run the living room on High Fan set to 69 F and the bedroom was on auto at 69. So last night is kind of a bust - it wasn't uncomfortable, just not something we can use to compare what "normally" should happen.

As a test, we currently have the bedroom set to reach 60 F (currently 74F) and the living room is off completely. It's about 90 degrees out. All shades/drapes are down. Testing to see if the bedroom vents ever blow cold air at the same strength as the living room or if we are always going to get a small trickle until it reaches the target temp.

So, the question is, should the bedroom vents blow air at the same strength as the living room vents? Is there something in the vent system that prevents the same amount of air getting to the bedroom even when the bedroom unit is the only one running? If I recall, we read that some NA owners had the opposite problem where the bedroom was blowing cold air like crazy and the front not so much.

We also just picked up a cheap thermostat to check the temps against what's showing on Silverleaf.

We were supposed to drive home to NJ tomorrow, but may decide to stay and have it checked out on Monday. We've had a number of problems with the coach right out of the gate two months ago that we're very hesitant to assume anything is functioning "normally."

Thanks so much!

Bill and Andrea
2018 New Aire 3343

Kistner326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistner326 View Post
Hi All! This is our first post to the Newmar owners forum. We are brand new New Aire owners (2018 3343). We've been reading many of the posts about the New Aire and want to thank everyone for the information so far. Will post separately about our dealer experience (bad) and our Newmar experience (better). For now, we're looking for some help/info on the air conditioning, specifically in the bedroom.

We picked up the coach at Newmar yesterday and last night was our first night in the coach (service parking lot). Last night the A/C in the bedroom had a very faint trickle of cold air while the living room area blew cold air strongly, mainly from the middle vent (kitchen area). I thought we had set the two units to run at the same temps on Auto. However, I think what we actually did was run the living room on High Fan set to 69 F and the bedroom was on auto at 69. So last night is kind of a bust - it wasn't uncomfortable, just not something we can use to compare what "normally" should happen.

As a test, we currently have the bedroom set to reach 60 F (currently 74F) and the living room is off completely. It's about 90 degrees out. All shades/drapes are down. Testing to see if the bedroom vents ever blow cold air at the same strength as the living room or if we are always going to get a small trickle until it reaches the target temp.

So, the question is, should the bedroom vents blow air at the same strength as the living room vents? Is there something in the vent system that prevents the same amount of air getting to the bedroom even when the bedroom unit is the only one running? If I recall, we read that some NA owners had the opposite problem where the bedroom was blowing cold air like crazy and the front not so much.

We also just picked up a cheap thermostat to check the temps against what's showing on Silverleaf.

We were supposed to drive home to NJ tomorrow, but may decide to stay and have it checked out on Monday. We've had a number of problems with the coach right out of the gate two months ago that we're very hesitant to assume anything is functioning "normally."

Thanks so much!

Bill and Andrea
2018 New Aire 3343
I and others have posted about this issue. Can't find the thread right now but it is here. Bottom line you have to cool the engine compartment of the NA actively with a fan to get the bedroom cool after extended driving in hot temperatures. Also there is a duct connecting the rear AC output to the front AC output above the middle overhead grill. You need to close that duct with some foam rubber.

Assuming the rear AC unit is operating properly once the duct is closed and the engine compartment cooled down you will find the bedroom is much cooler than the rest of the coach.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #3

Have posted on irv2 the 12 volt fans we added to cool the engine compartment area down to cut the heat coming to back in coach. On our 18 LA, has the rear bath and on other coaches it's the bedroom. With in 1 hour the temp in the engine area are down to 100 degrees with fans on but are still in 150 to 160 degree when not using fans 3 hours later.
This could be the answer for those who have additional heat in the back of their coach.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Good points about the engine compartment but I don't believe that is the only issue. The back of the coach doesn't cool efficiently even when parked and the engine hasn't been run for days. The zones from the factory just aren't balanced properly. I'll have to try plugging the one duct.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure you want to start blocking ducts before talking to Newmar. I know that the way the ducts are set up, they run the whole length of the coach so that air is distributed throughout. Did you check your Silverleaf to confirm that the bedroom zone fan is set to “auto”? The options for each zone are: low, high and auto. I leave all my zones on auto so that the fan will shut off between cycles. You could also try setting the bedroom to high and then low to see if there is a difference when the fan is running.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #6

Last week at factory pickup we complained about that same problem to our technician. He made a vent block device from plastic and 3/4 blocked the vent in the middle ceiling pull down cover. It was the vent on the drivers side towards the rear. Totally changed the air flow toward the bedroom. You can stuff a rag and try that first. He said they have done this on many of the factory pickup units. I’m amazed at the difference.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaire1 View Post
Last week at factory pickup we complained about that same problem to our technician. He made a vent block device from plastic and 3/4 blocked the vent in the middle ceiling pull down cover. It was the vent on the drivers side towards the rear. Totally changed the air flow toward the bedroom. You can stuff a rag and try that first. He said they have done this on many of the factory pickup units. I’m amazed at the difference.
That is basically the same thing I did using a block of foam. For whatever reason Newmar decided to share some of the cooling output from the aft AC unit moving it into the kitchen/living room area. This creates two problems: less output to the bedroom and a confused thermostat for the aft unit since it is controlled by a temperature probe on the aft bedroom wall.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:22 AM   #8

Thanks Turbopilot. We did see your post with the thermal pictures - very cool (or hot!). We're not currently moving the coach, so our issue is more about whether or not the bedroom unit is even working properly. We decided to stay and see if Newmar can look at it tomorrow. Hopefully it's an easy fix like Newaire1 mentioned where they can put in a vent block device to get more air to the bedroom. Will post how it goes! Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:31 AM   #9

Thanks Newaire1 - Hopefully this is the problem and it's not something bigger relating to the unit itself. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
Not sure you want to start blocking ducts before talking to Newmar. I know that the way the ducts are set up, they run the whole length of the coach so that air is distributed throughout. Did you check your Silverleaf to confirm that the bedroom zone fan is set to “auto”? The options for each zone are: low, high and auto. I leave all my zones on auto so that the fan will shut off between cycles. You could also try setting the bedroom to high and then low to see if there is a difference when the fan is running.
Yes, bedroom zone fan was set to "auto." We also tried setting to high and there's no difference in the bedroom. The forward unit seems to be working well and you can tell the difference between the high/low fan settings. We left the forward unit on auto last night and a nice neighbor gave us a small fan to push cold air towards the bedroom. A little stuffy in the bedroom, but not bad.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
My rear AC duct has been blocked off since 2010 so it just cools the bedroom and the bath as I have to keep the living area warmer for my bird. I also have 3/4 of the bath vent blocked off as it was to cold in the bathroom. No problem's since having done this. I like the sleeping area cool at night, and I can keep the living area 75-77 degrees for the bird at night.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have a 17 MA and the A.C. Seems to be working well
We keep the kitchen and living room AD's at 71 auto and the bedroom at 67 and auto and really never change the settings and it is comfortable
They seem to work correctly
We also haven't noticed excess heat in bath area after we have been driving...now that is compared to our last coach,that you could almost fry an egg in the bath room floor when we stopped and took hours to cold off the rear of that coach...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have a 17 MA and the A.C. Seems to be working well
We keep the kitchen and living room AD's at 71 auto and the bedroom at 67 and auto and really never change the settings and it is comfortable
They seem to work correctly
We also haven't noticed excess heat in bath area after we have been driving...now that is compared to our last coach,that you could almost fry an egg in the bath room floor when we stopped and took hours to cold off the rear of that coach...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I think this link will take you to the discussion on how to direct more air to the rear of the coach on the NADP.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new-...ml#post4273356

LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioning