Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 04:48 AM   #15

PTL (door manufacturer) has put up a video on door adjustment. The video does NOT show the removal of the inside wood trim (the hard part).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 07:17 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
New Aire Door Blows open at Speed

As stated in the aforementioned Newmar service bulletin, it is very important that the 3 rubber bumpers located between the screen door and main door be replaced first. (this was an addition to the original bulletin) if your so inclined, remove the 3 bumpers and try shutting your outside door, if this helps, I ground down my original rubber bumpers to 13/16’s, start with the middle one first (this maybe the only one needing change. If you go to loose you can always add washers between the bumper and door,for the perfect fit, note I like to see some movement of the screen door when properly closed.
On my 18 DS this made an amazing difference, once done making sure to close the door to the second latch every time helped to break in the rubber door seals, the results have been amazing without moving the latch bolt.

Disclaimer:
The above is what I did on my own personal motorhome.
Doors opening while driving is serious and should be checked by your authorized Newmar service center.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Sorry left this out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	236056  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #18

Everyone should note that this thread is in regards to late models and the TSB applies to those models..

Older models have a similar, but different problem. On the late models, there are 3 rubber bumpers that provide the thickness of the door "sandwich" (screen door plus outer door). On older models, the thickness is provided by the outer screen door handle contacting the upholstery on the inner skin of the outer door. The equivalent "test" of rubber bumper thickness can be done by removing the screen door handles and seeing if the outer door closes without slamming it. It was incorrect on mine and I needed to grind some metal off the screen door handle to move the handle inward (toward the driver seat). This allows the outer door to move closer to the screen door and the outer seal will properly compress.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Have been having problem with door popping open while underway. Newmar has been of little help but in working with PTL we have determined that it is not just an issue of "Slamming The Door Harder" but may need a Move a Bolt adjustment, which would require removal of the wood trim around the door to gain access. ( My unit is not part of the recall) Since the local dealer is someone I would not allow to touch my unit, I would have to perform the adjustment myself. Newmar does not wish to share a procedure or any information on removing the wood trim, ( real customer centric). So my question is does anyone have information they would like to share on removing the wood trim ? Does it just pry away or are the dowels glued and require drilling out? If drilling out the dowels is required, what size drill bit did you use and what size dowel did you use as a replacement when putting the trim back in place. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Looks like I going to miss the air seal on my 2009 Monaco Camelot when I pick up our new Dutchstar. No slamming the door and no rattles or air leaks. To open the door, You do have to put it in neutral or it's almost impossible to open the door.

Doesn't look to be an expensive system and it has worked for 10 years and well over 100,000 miles.
kenk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC21 View Post
... So my question is does anyone have information they would like to share on removing the wood trim ? Does it just pry away or are the dowels glued and require drilling out? If drilling out the dowels is required, what size drill bit did you use and what size dowel did you use as a replacement when putting the trim back in place. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
You have to screw a small wood screw into the plug and use that as a handle to pull it out. Newmar sells matching replacement plugs. There are screws behind the plugs that you remove to take the trim off.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Have been having problem with door popping open while underway. Newmar has been of little help but in working with PTL we have determined that it is not just an issue of "Slamming The Door Harder" but may need a Move a Bolt adjustment, which would require removal of the wood trim around the door to gain access. ( My unit is not part of the recall) Since the local dealer is someone I would not allow to touch my unit, I would have to perform the adjustment myself. Newmar does not wish to share a procedure or any information on removing the wood trim, ( real customer centric). So my question is does anyone have information they would like to share on removing the wood trim ? Does it just pry away or are the dowels glued and require drilling out? If drilling out the dowels is required, what size drill bit did you use and what size dowel did you use as a replacement when putting the trim back in place. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Did my 2005 Essex .... I assume yours is similar.
The wooden plugs cover screws. The dowels are not glued. In theory, replacements are available from Newmar to match your finish.

Find the smallest drill bit (I don't remember what I chose but it's about the thickness of a pin). Drill a hole in the center of each plug. Find the smallest wood screw available. Screw it into the hole in the plug (you don't need to go deep). Pull on the screw and the wooden plug will pop out. Remove the stainless handrail. Remove all the screws from the frame. If the frame isn't loose, look for hidden screws. Mine had a screw under the attached cup holder.

I put the old plugs back in and ignored the tiny holes.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Ken, bruceisla . Thanks guys. Much appreciated info and much more than Newmar was willing to give out.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Ken, bruceisla . Thanks guys. Much appreciated info and much more than Newmar was willing to give out.

They probably don't know
Old 03-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I dunno. In my experience, a door frame is a door frame is a door frame. You hit 'em and they can and often will deform.
All due respect, would you treat systems in different aircraft the same (I see you went to weps school) Or would you close a Bonanza door differently than a Cherokee door? Different years, makes and models require different techniques. While I’m sure your help is appreciated, it may be misconstrued if the OP misses your signature, or worse, reads your signature and assumes that all systems are the same on all RVs.
Chucker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, door