Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #1

New Aire improvements

Tried to find Turbo’s thread picturing the wiring mess under the dash. Anyway I failed but yesterday Iwas able to take a quick look at our New Aire. It had just arrived at the dealer RV Superstores in Des Moines. The first thing I looked at was the wiring in the dash and this is what I found.
Newmar was listening. Only had a short time in the coach but will check the rest of the 12 v wiring after formal delivery on Wednesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC16C8CF-A55B-498A-AF75-CF0C011C777B.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	198981  
Charlievette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievette View Post
Tried to find Turbo’s thread picturing the wiring mess under the dash. Anyway I failed but yesterday Iwas able to take a quick look at our New Aire. It had just arrived at the dealer RV Superstores in Des Moines. The first thing I looked at was the wiring in the dash and this is what I found.
Newmar was listening. Only had a short time in the coach but will check the rest of the 12 v wiring after formal delivery on Wednesday.
Oh my goodness. Newmar is way behind on reading the New Aire Observations thread. This was my first solution to mounting the head unit back in October when I took delivery. Seems simple but not professional. It has a big problem however.

There is a little fan in the head unit which it definitely needs. In your image you can see the front air louvers are pointed up and completely restricted when you put the cover back on. The unit will then overhead. Actually for cooling it was better leaving the head unit below bouncing on the wires.

Here is version 2 of my mount. Still a amateur job but better than version 1. This lets the fan blow air through the unit unobstructed.

My advice right now is to leave the cover off for cooling until you can get it mounted in such a way that cooling is not restricted.

Some friendly advice to Aire Head Newbys. Take a few days and read every post in the New Aire Observations thread and the other excellent threads started by NA owners. The New Aire Observations thread is a bear to read with nearly 900 posts. It will take days to wade through. Some of the early information is wrong but this darn forum times out posts in a few days not allowing a poster to go back and correct an old post. We are now getting to the point in the NA deliveries where there are less new problems, instead we have newby's discovering old problems well documented in hard to read old threads. Not perfect but better than nothing.

Version 2.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

Damn.... I know my first job. Thanks for preventing a problem.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:48 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Charlievette-

Thanks to the posts of early New Aire owners, I leaned on Newmar about this before we took dealer delivery in late January. When we got it, the head unit was loose behind the dash, but you could see the screw holes where it had been mounted just like yours.

I asked the delivery tech about it and he said they (dealer) dismounted it for the same reason Turbo mentioned - obstruction of airflow. I have left it loose until I get around to creating a bracket to hold it where ventilation is adequate. This is the first time I’ve seen the dealer identify and fix (somewhat) a manufacturer shortcoming without the customer even complaining.

I thought mine was just a way for Newmar to quiten down one complaining customer. I had no idea they had adopted this as a universal fix. New Aire owners, check yours out!
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Turbo, what is the row of green connectors in the picture of the repositioned head unit?
gkebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkebb View Post
Turbo, what is the row of green connectors in the picture of the repositioned head unit?
Switchable DC power bus for any accessories I want to add. Currently driving the EEZ Tire monitor and a weather station off the bus.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievette View Post
Tried to find Turbo’s thread picturing the wiring mess under the dash. Anyway I failed but yesterday I was able to take a quick look at our New Aire.
Post#348 - it’s worth a second look, a couple more pics to see.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new-...ml#post3952320

I’m going to put a vent screen in the removable cover/tray to let the heat out. Without and outlet, heat will still build up in there, even with a horizontal installation.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post

I’m going to put a vent screen in the removable cover/tray to let the heat out. Without and outlet, heat will still build up in there, even with a horizontal installation.
I have been looking for the same thing. A piece of perforated plastic would work. Just cut out bottom of the insert and glue in a perforated plastic insert. Let me know what you find. Alternatively cutting a hole in the dash for a vent would also be a good idea. Lots of heat builds up in the dash area particularly with sun shining down on it.

Thanks for finding that post. With 900 posts in the thread I am having a hard time finding my old posts.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #9

A Louvered vent screen should do the job. Looking at it with the Tech assigned to me at RV superstores that will make a difference. There may be other places in the dash where a louver will help dissipate the heat. From a very cursory inspection some of the 12v wiring has been improved, BUT Newmar still has trouble tightening wired attachment points.

The New Aire looks fantastic. The weather in central Iowa sucks so we’re going to wait until tomorrow before going for a ride. Lowering tire pressure will be the first thing I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post

Tags
air