Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #673

rdvan,

Congrats on your delivery and your successful trip back.

I didn't think there would be any wiring improvements, since they can barely build them fast enough!

Regarding your mountain performance, the New Aire will climb mountains, I never got to flasher speeds yet and we have major mountains here in North Georgia where I live.

In hilly terrain - leave it out of 6th gear all together, remember the Allison actually has two close ratio overdrives gears 5 & 6 - 4th is actually a running gear.

You'll need to keep the rpm up on the small blocks like the 6.7. You don't want to be in 6th gear at the base of a hill unless you're doing 75+ mph and have the help of kinetic energy climb the hill.

Enjoy - Mike

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvan View Post
1. The flexsteel chairs are terrible. Too many negatives to list here but Flexsteel has been synonymous in the past with quality but not this time.

3. Steerng Wheel Column - This is MAJOR! I'm 5'8" 170 lbs so the bad Flexsteel Chair is too big, it's built for people 6'4" 350-400 lbs. When you get the chair into driving position you cant get out of the chair without moving it back due to the giant column box and junction where it pivots. The seat has to be nearly touching the column for me to drive it. I realize that being 5'8" doesn't help but I see it as a MAJOR blunder. This is probably a Freightliner/Flexsteel issue and Newmar is just working with what they have.
Thanks for the update. Glad you have a good dealer. That really helps.

I am 5'10". I have found moving the chair, adjusting the steering column and adjusting the pedals I can get things comfortable for driving. It takes a while and no memory function. When you flip the drivers seat around you have to move the steering column and the chair so you have to start all over again for the next drive.

Maneuverability with this machine is much better than I expected. As long as there is enough overhead clearance, after I drop the Jeep, I can get it into most any pump with diesel that I would have used with the 25' Unity. This is important with the little 75 gallon tank.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvan View Post
4. I don't really think the factory does a PDI. Honestly. If they do they need to fire their inspectors. Obvious things like bay doors needing adjustments, uncleanness, dangling wire in storage areas, horrible rattles, paint flaws, loose Oasis exhaust pipe, and so forth. They can't be missed and the dealer is left to correct these issues. Maybe that's how it's designed.
I don't know.

R. D. Vanderslice
2018 New Aire 3341
Excellent write-up thanks.

I will be doing a May FPU for my 3341. What are the experiences of anyone picking up a NA at the factory? Will they correct, clean-up, fix, etc. some/all of these obvious flaws? My expectation is that they will address these issues during the FPU...I hope that is the case.
gal218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by gal218 View Post
Excellent write-up thanks.

I will be doing a May FPU for my 3341. What are the experiences of anyone picking up a NA at the factory? Will they correct, clean-up, fix, etc. some/all of these obvious flaws? My expectation is that they will address these issues during the FPU...I hope that is the case.
I too will be picking my unit up in May at the factory.
I have talked to a representative from that dept when they called to give me my date. Was told to just send over a list of my concerns to there dept as I perceived them BEFORE I ARRIVE BUT AFTER IT COMES OFF THE LINE.
This enlightened me by this attitude knowing that they spend about 4 weeks going over the coach before we arrive.
I am going to scan and send many pictures,and comments from this thread as well as others.
Hopefully this will help myself and others with the same concern.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #677

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our FPU is just around the corner. I’m wondering how much benefit we’ll get from the 4 weeks it will be in the hands of the service dept. before we arrive.

More to come...
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
I too will be picking my unit up in May at the factory.
I have talked to a representative from that dept when they called to give me my date. Was told to just send over a list of my concerns to there dept as I perceived them BEFORE I ARRIVE BUT AFTER IT COMES OFF THE LINE.
This enlightened me by this attitude knowing that they spend about 4 weeks going over the coach before we arrive.
I am going to scan and send many pictures,and comments from this thread as well as others.
Hopefully this will help myself and others with the same concern.
That does sound positive...with all the well documented issues on this forum, they should have a good "punch list" to work with. I look forward to hearing more. Sounds like Aegon will be there before us...
Old 02-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #679

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yup...our coach is in production today
Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
Are you thinking of sending off any kind of "punch" list when it comes out of production?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #681

Quote:
I'm excited for you...look forward to hearing more as the date approaches and you do your FPU!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #682

Been following your ongoing post regarding your New Aire..so helpful. I really like the size of the coach and the tech offered with that model. It seems like you've done a tremendous amount of tweaking/finishing of your New Aire..do you think a new owner should be prepared to follow your lead to such detail or do you anticipate Newmar to shake out a larger percentage of these items with time?

Many thanks in advance.
relaxcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #683

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
Are you thinking of sending off any kind of "punch" list when it comes out of production?
We just asked for one item in advance — mount the Xite head unit in a fixed position, NOT floating on dash wire bundles.

The rest of the list can easily be handled while we’re there.

1. Xite head unit not secured.
2. Loose/unsecured modules in basement.
3. Loose/unsecured wires in both front wheel wells.
4. Misc. wire runs in basement chaffing on framework.
5. Verify Auto Xfer switch wiring RECALL performed.
6. Verify shutoff valve to ice maker is installed.
7. SilverLeaf update installed to fix heater outlet fan issue.
8. Check interior lighting fixtures—make sure lens retaining nuts are tight
Old 02-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxcouple View Post
Been following your ongoing post regarding your New Aire..so helpful. I really like the size of the coach and the tech offered with that model. It seems like you've done a tremendous amount of tweaking/finishing of your New Aire..do you think a new owner should be prepared to follow your lead to such detail or do you anticipate Newmar to shake out a larger percentage of these items with time?

Many thanks in advance.
Thanks. Based on my PM's we have many lurkers on this thread. Folks, unless it is a personal question please ask questions on the forum rather than PM's so all can see the answers and share in the discussion.

Yes, be prepared to finish your coach if you want to reduce the chances of failures on the road. It is also a great way to learn the systems.

Never been to the factory but my guess is they are cranking these things out so fast there is no way they can catch this stuff. A good dealer will help but my guess is there is simply not enough margin in their take to finish these coaches the way most of us would like. Also some of this stuff is subtle. I have been looking at this coach for 4 months pretty closely and I am still finding stuff that need to be fixed.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #685

Quote:
We just asked for one item in advance — mount the Xite head unit in a fixed position, NOT floating on dash wire bundles.

The rest of the list can easily be handled while we’re there.

1. Xite head unit not secured.
2. Loose/unsecured modules in basement.
3. Loose/unsecured wires in both front wheel wells.
4. Misc. wire runs in basement chaffing on framework.
5. Verify Auto Xfer switch wiring RECALL performed.
6. Verify shutoff valve to ice maker is installed.
7. SilverLeaf update installed to fix heater outlet fan issue.
8. Check interior lighting fixtures—make sure lens retaining nuts are tight
If the factory secures the Xite unit that would be encouraging. I’m just not certain the factory honchos pay attention to the forum. Looking forward to the end of March when our 3341 will be delivered...hoping that my observations are wrong.
charlievette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #686

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievette View Post
Iím just not certain the factory honchos pay attention to the forum.
My DW (Lilfoot) specifically asked that question and was told no they donít. However, she was told they are aware of the forum. She also suggested they should start checking it out.

Tags
air