RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #757

Hello All,

It has been a while since I've posted and our New Aire has been sleeping in the garage for the last couple of months. For those who have been out driving can you tell me what front and back tire pressure you have settled on?

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #758

Newmar Owners Club
Ken-

We drove ours home (abuut four hours) three weeks ago, and since have driven about 1,000 miles to Key West. Ours has a strong tendency for the front wheels to (1) “grab onto” any random texture differences in the road surface (e.g.construction zones) and follow the old lane surface, and (2) “grab onto” the edge of the pavement and pull off the road (e.g. when the traffic lane is higher than the shoulder and I allow it to drift slightly to the right).

Ours arrived with front and rear inflation of 120 and 110 respectively. During delivery (thanks to previous posts on this forum) I asked about tire inflation. The response was that the dealership could not make any recommendation contrary to the manufacturer’s recommendations of 120.

Afterwards I read the Newmar manual and it acknowledges that, if the vehicle weight is less than GVW, it’s appropriate to reduce tire pressure, based on the tire manufacturer’s recommendations. I don’t have the Michelin inflation chart handy, but it recommends around 90 to 95 psi for weights of 34,000 to 35,000 pounds.

To your original question, I can’t yet speak from experience, but intend to reduce the pressure in our tires when we hit the road again in about a week. I’m hoping it will reduce the “grabbing onto”we’ve been experiencing.

Ward Simmons

WardSimmons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardSimmons View Post
I’m hoping it will reduce the “grabbing onto”we’ve been experiencing.
I have experienced the same issue a couple of times and I am running 105/95. Don't have enough experience yet but I suspect this may be an artifact of Comfort Drive. I am trying different settings.

So far I don't see it as a big deal but if you get the front wheel over an edge you have to nurse it back.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:30 AM   #760

Newmar Owners Club
https://youtu.be/8x9FYCVu4mg
billshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #761

To make a broad statement; While the New Aire handles fine and tracks exceptionally well for a 33’ coach, it’s not going to track and handle as good as a 45’ coach. On a coach say like a Mountain Aire, the extra 3 tons of weight over the front axle combined by another 7+ feet of wheel base makes a 45’ coach more immune from "upset-direction changes" caused by asphalt grooves, drop-offs, trucks or cross winds.

As I covered in my review of the New Aire, while other RV companies attempted this feat and failed, the New Aire is still right on the border-line of minimum length to have enough weight on the steering axle. This is why Newmar located everything they could find, batteries, generator, fuel, inverter to include a 2000 lb tile floor over the front axle, in order to provide enough weight to counteract the weight of the engine and transmission suspended behind the rear axle.

Newmar’s Amazing 33’ Luxury New Aire - Mike Mas

Even with 120 lbs in my tires, I did not feel any handling problems on my 600 mile drive home. After weighing my coach, I changed my pressure to 90 in the front and 85 in the rears, with improved handling and ride.

The tires are like rocks at 120 lbs. with 120 lbs, these tires are riding on the crown center and do not track properly and tend to follow asphalt groves more often. This poor tracking problem does not occur on concrete highways. Keep in mind, softer tires provide more foot-print for better tracking and improved wet weather traction.

Regardless of what all the RV dealers tell you, the facts are; A radial tire has to flex on the side-walls to work. At 120 lbs in these tires, there is not enough weight in the New Aire to flex the sidewalls. Over-pressure is going to shake every bolt, glue joint and slide mechanics loose in the coach.

Ride Safe - Mike

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardSimmons View Post
Ours has a strong tendency for the front wheels to (1) “grab onto” any random texture differences in the road surface (e.g.construction zones) and follow the old lane surface, and (2) “grab onto” the edge of the pavement and pull off the road (e.g. when the traffic lane is higher than the shoulder and I allow it to drift slightly to the right).
Not sure if it would apply to the New Aire but my F53 did a very similar thing, finally checked the toe, supposed to be toed in 3/32" instead was toed out at least 3/32"!

I toed mine in correctly and made a big difference in that grab on to rut feeling and also wandering feel.

I would probably look into a alignment just to be sure, both caster and toe.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #763

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On that same note. I would bet some ware in your paperwork it will say that the "Owner" should get a alignment done. this is after it is loaded for travel. I would shoot for full fuel, water and at least 50% on the black and gray. More caster will help with tracking.
I would also get a "all wheel" alignment to make shure everything is tracking as it should be.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #764

Four Corner Weights

Four Corner Weights -

Just completed doing four corner weights on my NA with a surprise. My 3343 NA loaded with an estimated 1,200 lbs of water, tools, supplies, dog and me came in with a combined weight total of 33,550 lbs. Combined with my Jeep Wranger my GCVW is 37,550 which happens to be 450 lbs less than the GVWR. I would guess once loaded for a long trip we will be pushing 38,000 lbs all up. Don't see any scenario where I will be over 38,000 GCVW.

The surprise is that this weight does not square with the weight supplied by Newmar. The sticker in my coach shows a UVW of 32,975 lbs. With the estimated added weight of 1,200 lbs, based on the Newmar UVW my coach should be around 34,175 lbs. The difference is very close to the weight of 75 gallons of water (630 lbs). So I wonder if Newmar weighed my coach with the water tank full. It should not be included in the UVW, but maybe it was.

One other data point. I have a copy of the Production Order Report for my coach. This report shows the base estimated weight of the 3343 NA as 30,500 lbs and the weight of all the options which brings to coach up to an estimated production weight with options of 31,933 lbs.

For now I am going with the 4 corner weights since I watched the process and know it to be correct (if the scales are true).

Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #765

Even with 120 lbs in my tires, I did not feel any handling problems on my 600 mile drive home. After weighing my coach, I changed my pressure to 90 in the front and 85 in the rears.

Ride Safe - Mike

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Mike....What did your NA Weigh? Front? Back?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #766

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
Even with 120 lbs in my tires, I did not feel any handling problems on my 600 mile drive home. After weighing my coach, I changed my pressure to 90 in the front and 85 in the rears.

Ride Safe - Mike

[/SIZE]
Mike....What did your NA Weigh? Front? Back?[/QUOTE]

Timekeeper I'll dig out the sheet out of the coach, I had a lousy weight at a CAT station and the moron only gave me a front and rear.

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Mike....What did your NA Weigh? Front? Back?
Timekeeper I'll dig out the sheet out of the coach, I had a lousy weight at a CAT station and the moron only gave me a front and rear.

Mike[/QUOTE]
Mike the reason I'm asking is I found on my last MH DP PSI made a large difference in ride and handling....that one had a Freight liner chassis and was 34'. I had the Goodyears for 8 years and then went to the Michelin's . PSI was a factor in both.
I do find that a lot of people over inflate there tires on MH's. If you find the CAT sheet please let us know...Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #768

Looks like MyRozie update is coming March 28. No mention of an update for the outstanding MyRozie errors for the NA.

https://www.myrozie.com/update.html
Old 02-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Thanks for the tip. It is Sony XBR49X900E. Will look at the reviews.
Well, I upgraded the NA with Sony XBR49X900E.

I thought this would be easy since it has the same mounting hole pattern as the original Sony TV. WRONG!

It does have the same mounting hole pattern but the holes are in different places requiring a rebuilt of the TV lift. The TV is great with full Google support and Android TV. The picture is outstanding on the X900E.

Now on to the sound system.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #770

Was it a matter of taking the bracket off and redrilling new holes?

Canuck53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air